New here - considering next bike

Revisiting my comment. One of my favorite camping spots is down a loose sand road. I forgot about that. I also live in the twisties and ride through the mountains a lot. I’ve seen lots of peg dragging in one review. Is this a real thing?
Regarding the pegs, not really. I'm not a highly aggressive rider and do lots of back roads but I'm usually not in any hurry. If you are looking at off the pavement type camping in any situation, the R18 may not be a great option. There are other ADV bikes that can handle the gear, the miles and any surface you could imagine. Just my opinion though. Doesn't mean you can't, but there will be compromises. I own a Classic and find it to be a great machine for what I want it for, 2-3 hours max of cruising. If I want to eat up miles, a sport tourer or back to my Road Glide.

As much as I love the R18, one of the variants of the R nineT might also be worth a look based on your comment about your dream bike. I had an Urban GS all decked out that was really wonderful. The 2022 version is really neat looking.

I like this idea. I had an UGS that I built from a Scrambler and it would be a perfect smaller R bike camper. I'd even consider a Pure (base model) and build what you want with simple bolt-on goodies --plenty of third party suppliers out there now. It would have all of the old world R charm in a modern package and it can be ordered with a LOW suspension. It would have only marginally better fuel range than an R18, but would certainly look a lot better wearing a RotopaX!

with side bags and a sissy bar bag (google) on the rear seat you can go anywhere anytime for as long as you want.

although i have not done this with my r18 i travelled extensively with my road king with this setup.

-the bike will fit you.
-weight is irrelevant as you are capable and you won't be dropping it.
- fun to ride and relatively unique in the wild

ride on!

Revisiting my comment. One of my favorite camping spots is down a loose sand road. I forgot about that. I also live in the twisties and ride through the mountains a lot. I’ve seen lots of peg dragging in one review. Is this a real thing?
There are ride modes on the R18. On dirt roads, I’d likely suggest putting it in rain mode to reduce the torque to keep the traction in check further. The bike also has traction control, so it will reduce on its own, but don’t blast down the dirt road like you would on an adventure bike and it is doable. I’m in horse country, so many of our local roads are dirt. If you are used to riding on dirt, you can do it on any bike. Deep sand I wouldn’t suggest due to the weight, but hard packed dirt/gravel roads are not a problem.

BMW ships the R18 with the rear preload in a shipping position. Many early reviewers and dealers neglected to adjust the preload to rider weight leaving it in the shipping setting. This resulted in 2 behaviors many reviews shared; the bike felt very harsh and was more likely to scrape. First thing I did when I got my bike was adjust the preload to my weight. I also live in an area with many twisty roads and I tend to ride…. spirited, even though I’m slower on my R18 than my other bikes, 20-30 over the speed limit on backroads isn’t unusual. I have only scraped once and that was in a roundabout where I really tried to make it scrape since every review had said it was easy. If you set the preload, it’s a non-issue and the bike will surprise you and other bikes you pass since it shouldn’t handle as well as it does for its weight. It’s not a sport bike, but it is easily the best handling big cruiser out of the ones I’ve tested.

Last edited:
The only downside when it comes to camping and trips with a R18 is the weight. Of all the bikes I have owned (17), which includes a handful of Harleys, the R18 is the biggest pain to push around in a driveway. If you get to a place that is gravel or dirt and has little dips and imperfections you may find it takes a lot of work to back it up or move it while it isn't running. It is a hefty bike, a full 50% heavier than a Rebel 1100. 250 lbs heavier is significant.

The other downside is parts can be pricey. Slap a sissy bar and cargo rack on a Softail and you can find several options under 2 bills. Get the same thing for the BMW and you're looking at $250 - $600. There are a lot less options for accessories for the R18 and they often cost a fair bit more than their competition. So if you plan to add things like cargo racks or highway bars that could add up.

Other than that it's relatively comfortable, will do fine on sweepers, highway slogs and gravel roads and the price on the left over 2021 models can't be beat! The pegs drag a little early if you like to use all your tire when you turn, but the handling is stable and predicable. Also- they don't have the wide primary like a Harley so for a given seat height you can get more foot down on the R18 than something like a Heritage, although a Heritage weighs a fair bit less, so depending on one's height it may balance out. My sweetie is 5' even and she can touch on both sides with the R18, where on a full size Harley her legs are spread out further and she can only get the ball of one foot down.

Good luck shopping! Most BMW dealers offer test rides, so you can give one a try and see what you think. We live in a golden age of motorcycles and there are lots of great choices.

I haven't ever dragged a peg with normal riding. I've done it just to see where the limit is (it's not too hard to do if you try), but for me, it's not a "real thing" at all. There are certainly riders who want to be aggressive on the R18, and for them I'm sure it's more real.

I'm sure that you could navigate roads with suboptimal surfaces, but it'd be a chore. Adding to the chore (for me anyway) is that I don't consider the R18 to be super duper at low-speed handling. As has been mentioned, it doesn't "feel" heavy, but compared to other bikes of its size and weight, I find it tough to maneuver slow in tight spots. That may just be me. I consider myself pretty good at low speed control on most any bike, but the R18 took more effort to become as proficient as I like to be. Having said all of that, I love the R18, and if the camping / unimproved roads are the exception rather than the rule, it'd work fine.

You noted that seat height is a concern. The R18 is fantastic in that area. RnineT's and R1250GS's can be configured with low seat heights also however.

Thanks for this info. People asking could be entertaining. Did you get the classic with the saddlebags and windshield, or did you add the bags yourself? I have a set of Viking hard case leather bags on my current motorcycle and I’ve refined my packing to work with them, but I think exhaust on the R18 would interfere with bags like these. I need a test ride. I live far from any motorcycles that could be test ridden. I need to plan a trip. Thanks!

Def worth a trip for a test ride.

I have the FE and used a pair of buffalo leather bags from Franco Cuoio. They’re a bit larger than stock. Fitting everything took a bit of planning but it’s doable. That said, I’m selling the bags to go full bobber. No more camping with the R18😂 Anyhow, there are oem options and aftermarket options galore. And plenty of real world experience/photos on this site.

Peg dragging is a thing, yes. But only rarely and only when riding particularly aggressively. Just winding through the twisties at the posted speeds doesn’t do it. It’d be a good thing to explore on a test ride.

Peg dragging is a thing, yes. But only rarely and only when riding particularly aggressively. Just winding through the twisties at the posted speeds doesn’t do it. It’d be a good thing to explore on a test ride.
I have to slow down from my normal speed to not drag a peg on cloverleafs, but maybe that says more about how I ride than the bike itself. I did the same thing when I rode an Indian Scout, that was the last cruiser style bike I owned. Of all the cruisers on the market, the R18 is in the lower half when it comes to clearance and lean angle. That is part of what makes it so low and stable though, it's all a tradeoff.

I have to slow down from my normal speed to not drag a peg on cloverleafs, but maybe that says more about how I ride than the bike itself. I did the same thing when I rode an Indian Scout, that was the last cruiser style bike I owned. Of all the cruisers on the market, the R18 is in the lower half when it comes to clearance and lean angle. That is part of what makes it so low and stable though, it's all a tradeoff.
Yup. I’m learning to appreciate it. Kinda keeps things mello.

You actually have to try to drag pegs. It has not been an issue for me at all.

As others have mentioned, the weight of the bike is very much disguised by how low it sits. So even though its 800 Or so lbs, it just seems much lighter. Also the Hill stop/Start hold is a life saver for when you have your bike loaded up. No concerns stopping on a hill and having to hold the weight. Reverse gear is also an unexpected welcomed addition.

My most recent motorcycle was an Indian Chieftain Limited bagger. That was an awesome ride, but I prefer the R18 classic The bike just has so much more style to it. People do stare and ask questions. Get ready for that. It’s just such a clol looking bike.

This is the first 1800CC bike that I find myself saying “a beginner could ride this without issue”. The ride is effortless, it turns effortlessly, the torque is available in every gear which limits the amount of shifting needed. Don’t mistake those comments as the bike not being fun. Somehow, as slick and easy as it is to ride, its also incredibly fun. The deals on this bike are great right now.

Hi, I’m Gwen, and I’m looking for my next motorcycle. I’m here to research the R18 and read about it from owners. I like to camp from my motorcycle, so I need capability to haul gear. I’m concerned about the heavier weight of the R18, though. I’m surprised to find some 2021s with good prices. I’m on a wait list for a 2022 Honda Rebel 1100, but if I could have my dream bike, it would be 70-something R90 or R75. Although I can do a little wrenching, it’s not practical for me to own a vintage bike.

I always come back to the BMWs. Thanks for letting me
Id suggest the GS, Africa Twin, Triumph Tiger, etc if you want something to ride while camping. You won't enjoy taking the R18 on many campsites, cleaning it after days of muck, it's not manuverable in tight spots? Lots more reasons why it's not suitable for your wants

Welcome Gwen! I'm late to the party, but I'll add my $0.02, to the many good observations others have shared. I've camped all over the lower 48 and bits of Canada and up through Alaska. I've used all types of bikes from standards (Triumph Bonnies, BMW Roadsters, etc., Sport Touring (aprilia Futura, Triumph Sprint, BMW RTs, RS and S1000XR), Adventure bikes BMW GSAs, GSs, Guzzi, KTM), and Baggers (Victory Cross Roads, HD Road King), and will do more of the same on the R18 (roadster-bagger-?). I have ridden many miles on all types of roads with all of them, but there are obvious limitations as to their design(s). Be honest with yourself as to your desires and limitations and try to get the most comfort and fun from whatever you choose. "My favorite bike is the one I am riding" is a simple truth for me and as there really are no bad motorcycles being offered today it makes it a great time for us to enjoy riding. BMW is very good with offering a variety of different seat height options as well as low suspension models pretty much across entire range. Weight and deep sand will see you working more and smiling less so if there is a high likelihood of going to those conditions often I would recommend not going it alone as getting stuck and/or lifting the bike from a dirt nap(s) would get old quickly on any bike and the R18 is very heavy regardless how low that weight is carried. Hard pack or maintained gravel roads like in many National Parks, etc., are very enjoyable with reasonable riding skills and when dry I wouldn't hesitate to ride them on any bike. In the early years I packed like a 2 wheel "Beverly Hillbilly" truck with so much kit I didn't need and over the years I have replaced gear with more appropriate "backpacking" size and weight items and my clothing has been streamlined too. There are washing facilities in most campgrounds and our modern riding gear functions so well it allows cutting down on many of the extra rain suits, etc. Anyway, the RT and GS/A type bikes are a great tool for serious touring and back road exploring with both offering large petrol capacity, luggage options and so on with them being very well polished apples, maybe almost too polished? I really like the "Heritage" R line and was surprised it took so long for BMW to finally offer cruise control and tubeless rims on the lovely R9T and to be honest it is a huge $ negative to correct the same items on the first R18s that only had the tube tire option offered and/or no cruise control. I am extremely happy to have the R18 as it is a genuine hoot to ride be it on the Interstate or at a surprisingly quick pace on our lovely Appalachian-Smoky Mountain backroads and they're just a beautifully built motorcycle! BUT, with the R9T improvements I would have picked up one of those if not for the price incentives on the R18. That all said, luggage will be a challenge on those as well and I use a good waterproof "duffle" I can strap behind me that carries camping gear, "shaving kit" and clothing and I use the smaller saddle bags for the extra tools, gloves, snacks, etc., that I can get to easily and I like to have at hand be it a short ride to lunch or on a longer touring run.

As mentioned above, BMW is great with test rides so if possible get with a shop that has a bike available and they will help you with your decision making.

Good luck!

Hi, I’m Gwen, and I’m looking for my next motorcycle. I’m here to research the R18 and read about it from owners. I like to camp from my motorcycle, so I need capability to haul gear. I’m concerned about the heavier weight of the R18, though. I’m surprised to find some 2021s with good prices. I’m on a wait list for a 2022 Honda Rebel 1100, but if I could have my dream bike, it would be 70-something R90 or R75. Although I can do a little wrenching, it’s not practical for me to own a vintage bike.

I always come back to the BMWs. Thanks for letting me join.
My R18 is my 28th bike. (I'm an old guy.) My last 6 were HDs, 1 BMW. (2 Heritage Classics, one Springer Softail, and a few full bagger Ultras). I made the mistake of sitting on the R!18 in the showroom after I had bought the BMW 1200. Four days later I called the BMW dealer and swapped my new BMW for the R18. IT FELT LIKE A BIKE I WANTED TO RIDE. Ii am not sorry! iit connected me to the road again like no other bike I ever owned.

I always come back to the BMWs. Thanks for letting me join.
Hi Gwen,

How important is it to you “to do a little wrenching” as you wrote? Many enthusiasts have been totally un-enthused with BMW since it announced in late 2021 that it would no longer support or provide the publication (in any form) of factory service/shop manuals. Several riders in many forums including the BMW owners group have been very vocal about this. Most insisting they are done with BMW. That said, there are still several manuals unsold but you might want to see if you can secure a shop manual before you buy a used BMW - if having a shop manual is important to you. Had I known before I bought my R18 it would’ve been a deal killer for me!

Back