New member considering a R18 (purchased)

pbosik

Hi, I am considering a R18 and currently own a RT. So, it would be a 2nd bike. I have ridden all of them except for the B. My issue with all but the original with pegs, is shifting and braking. I had a crazy time finding the shifter, when the bike have floor boards, but no issue with the standard version with pegs. I wanted to like the classic, but the issues mentioned, and the head buffeting at speed, was a definite turn off for me. So, if I pull the trigger, so to speak, it will be on a standard bike. My question for those that own one...is, would you do it again?
Thanks for allowing me to join this forum.
Phil

Edit**Well, I pulled the trigger yesterday!!
Screenshot_20211230-183622_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
Yup. And still go with naked. Without question for me, any longer range and/or two up is best on a 1600 GT/gtl hands down. (Or on your RT) Ymmv.

Edit. Longer range for me is 3+ consecutive 500+ mile days.

Last edited:
Hi, I am considering a R18 and currently own a RT. So, it would be a 2nd bike. I have ridden all of them except for the B. My issue with all but the original with pegs, is shifting and braking. I had a crazy time finding the shifter, when the bike have floor boards, but no issue with the standard version with pegs. I wanted to like the classic, but the issues mentioned, and the head buffeting at speed, was a definite turn off for me. So, if I pull the trigger, so to speak, it will be on a standard bike. My question for those that own one...is, would you do it again?
Phil
If I had known there would be a R18 Bagger... Beside of that, no regrets with the R18 FE

If I had known there would be a R18 Bagger... Beside that, no regrets with the R18 FE
Yea I bet a lot of people are saying something similar across the range. I fully believe they had this lineup in the books from day 0. One of the reasons they could produce new versions of bikes when parts etc were Covid casualties. They were stocked and ready.

I think it would have been better to layout the whole plan for their customers from release.

R18C w/pegs
Convertible:extra lights and you can remove the windshield or bags.
Lastly,I am a floor board man.Have been for years and years.6'3" size 12 shoe.I had trouble at first and thought the bike wouldn't work for me with shifting and brake pedal/pegs.Thought about floor boards with the same issue as you .Now,I really love the pegs and seating position.The Corbin seat and sidecar,even better.I have pictures posted with the $30 windshield extender that helps tremendously.Hopefully someone in the aftermarket will make a taller/wider windshield.
Hope this helps.

Phil
I own an R1200RT 89,000 miles. a K1600B 44,000 miles and an R18 3,300 miles.
If I was to have only one bike it would be the K1600B.
The R18 is great for around town rides on sunny days on slow roads, imitating Lee Marvin on a bobber, or if you want to seamlessly blend in with the Harley crowd withe the R18 classic flavor.
But, for serious miles, it does not hold a candle to K1600B or the RT.

R18 B.jpg20201103_174430 (002).jpg
Naked R18 FE and R18B are two totally different bikes. Completely different rake, suspension, seat, bags, fairing, etc. About the only similarity is the exact same engine. In my humble opinion, the R18B is too similar of a bike to the RT for variety in your stable. If this were your only bike, then either get the B or keep the RT, but as a compliment to your RT for completely different riding, the naked FE is pure perfection.

A word of caution though........ as great of a bike as the RT is, it probably gathers very little attention at stops/parking lots, etc. (lots of plastic). The R18 FE is a people magnet. They all want to look at it and talk about it. Good or bad, be prepared for that.

Back