New member..

Chris N

Hi all,

New member here from Windsor in the UK. Currently riding a 2018 1200 GSA Triple Black and an Urban GS.
Took a First Edition R18 out on a test ride last week and loved it. Decided today that I’m chopping the Urban in for a R18 Classic in the new Manhattan Metallic Matt colour. Collecting it Tuesday and can’t wait…

Attachments

• 4B80645E-FF81-4E07-A4EC-5AE7CC23A2E2.jpeg
    4B80645E-FF81-4E07-A4EC-5AE7CC23A2E2.jpeg
    373.9 KB · Views: 35
This R18 bike (when in rock mode) is just plain fun to ride. Congrats on your new toy acquisition.

Reactions: Vyk
Hi all,

New member here from Windsor in the UK. Currently riding a 2018 1200 GSA Triple Black and an Urban GS.
Took a First Edition R18 out on a test ride last week and loved it. Decided today that I’m chopping the Urban in for a R18 Classic in the new Manhattan Metallic Matt colour. Collecting it Tuesday and can’t wait…
Nice ride Bro, love the color. The more you ride the Classic, the more you will like it.

Welcome Chris, after having Gs’s you will certainly find the R18 “different”!
One bit of useful info: When you shut the R18 down, don’t put it on its side stand then kill the engine…leave it upright for a couple of mins, shut it down and leave it upright for a further 2mins before putting it on the side stand (let the oil drain back into the sump and not into the L/H pot) otherwise you will find the L/H cylinder exhaust will plother out lots of blue smoke at the next start!
Mine is still at the Bmw dealer waiting for a new L/H piston and rings. (1000mls). :(
Enjoy and safe riding from sunny Lincolnshire.

One bit of useful info: When you shut the R18 down, don’t put it on its side stand then kill the engine…leave it upright for a couple of mins, shut it down and leave it upright for a further 2mins before putting it on the side stand (let the oil drain back into the sump and not into the L/H pot) otherwise you will find the L/H cylinder exhaust will plother out lots of blue smoke at the next start!
Mine is still at the Bmw dealer waiting for a new L/H piston and rings. (1000mls). :(
Oooh it’s like owning a 1150GSA all over again😊
Thanks for the advice Alf, I shall bear that in mind..

Hi all,

Hi Chris
Well done you and welcome. You will find loads on here to keep you going.

I do not do any of that and have zero problems..

Fingers crossed you don’t experience the “smoking L/H pot”, although BMW have stated its no detriment to the engine, they have replaced the L/H piston and rings with “improved parts” any way!….

Hi Alf
Sounds like you have been unlucky. Hope its sorted soon. As for me, in my ignorance I haven't ever done as suggested by you. Thinking about it I do turn off the engine before putting it on the stand but that's about it.

Thanks all, got to say the more I ride it the more I love it. Had it just over a week now and close to 500 miles, can’t get enough of it.

Attachments

• 75A658E7-2F5C-427F-8950-247B2F505D94.jpeg
    75A658E7-2F5C-427F-8950-247B2F505D94.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
R18 all sorted now, new L/H piston and rings fitted. No further “smoke” incidents! Thank you Bmw for taking my concern seriously.
Also had the seat restructured and have added 40mm of padding into the stock seat, boy O boy what a fantastic difference. I can still plant both feet flat on the ground but the ergonomics of the higher seat really works for me, plus no more “Numb bum” after a couple of hours riding.

R18 all sorted now, new L/H piston and rings fitted. No further “smoke” incidents! Thank you Bmw for taking my concern seriously.
Also had the seat restructured and have added 40mm of padding into the stock seat, boy O boy what a fantastic difference. I can still plant both feet flat on the ground but the ergonomics of the higher seat really works for me, plus no more “Numb bum” after a couple of hours riding.
Hi Alf
Any chance of a pic regarding your seat? If you are UK based, who did it?

Hello CC,
Pics attached, the seats kept the original “token gesture” padding, but also had some condensed foam added with a layer of memory foam to top it off. The top part of the saddle is retained ( complete with BMW logo) and new broader(deeper) sides are added to accommodate the extra thickness.
The company that carried out the modification, are AB upholstery based in Louth Lincolnshire. Link below. Loads and loads cheaper than a new saddle, it certainly works for me. :)

Attachments

• 5E8DECEA-3DB0-4306-BFF3-2B1D3DEEB13C.jpeg
    5E8DECEA-3DB0-4306-BFF3-2B1D3DEEB13C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • 11174CEA-4209-47B6-870F-1E293340FD1C.jpeg
    11174CEA-4209-47B6-870F-1E293340FD1C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • C222F32E-1CCA-40A7-9143-666608717E15.jpeg
    C222F32E-1CCA-40A7-9143-666608717E15.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • 3C4ABFA4-2364-4E4C-864E-2EBFD136F00E.jpeg
    3C4ABFA4-2364-4E4C-864E-2EBFD136F00E.jpeg