Nit-pick-a-palooza

TodkaVonic

Site Supporter
Elite Member
Disclaimer: I really like my R18. I like how it looks. I like how it rides. I'm enjoying it thoroughly.

Ok. Now, I have some questions

1) Why did they put two of the breastplate screws exactly behind the frame?
2) What's with the chrome-plated teardrop frame plugs which are slightly obscured by the mufflers?
3) What's the thinking behind giving First Edition owners three 'vintage' emblems but still having a small modern one adhered to the rear fender?
4) Holy moly. It says "BMW" on it 14 times! We got it!
5) The brakes are sourced from Brembo, a fantastic brand, why not keep the Brembo labeling?
6) Why don't the "1800cc" plates read "1802cc"?
7) Why do we only get one key? (15th "BMW" for those who are counting.)

That's all I got. It's like -3 here in Wisconsin. Not much to do...

Nate

1. To keep the damn thing from falling off.
2. To hide the ugly assed swing arm bolt. You want it to show, remove the medieval mufflers.
3. 3s company and 4 is an Orgy..
4. Did not think it was worth my time to count them, thanks for the trivia.
5. Half of Harleys parts are made in China, why do they say Made in America? Being from Wisconsin I figured you would know. Some Harleys are actually Made in Manaus, Brasil, look very close.
6. Why was the Boss 302 Mustang not a Boss 5 Litre, enquiring minds want to know..
7. You can only use one key at a time.

-3 ? It is 89 on Barra do Jucu Beach, Vila Vehla, Espirito Santo, Brasil.
barradojucu2.jpg

Last edited:
VodkaVonic you ask some very good questions:

1) Why did they put two of the breastplate screws exactly behind the frame?
Hunh? Breastplate screws? Where are they?
2) What's with the chrome-plated teardrop frame plugs which are slightly obscured by the mufflers?
Maybe they figure that access to those items won't be a common issue?
3) What's the thinking behind giving First Edition owners three 'vintage' emblems but still having a small modern one adhered to the rear fender?
Dunno. Marketing? Costs? I suspect that it's got something to do with the three that are attached with screws and those others that are not so easily changed out.
4) Holy moly. It says "BMW" on it 14 times! We got it!
Funny thing that... I have a '16 Indian that has the brand name on it 36 times! That's NOT an exaggeration. I suppose modern marketing and the plan to impose brand identity in our consciousness has something to do with it.
5) The brakes are sourced from Brembo, a fantastic brand, why not keep the Brembo labeling?
I've wondered the same thing. After all, modern Harley Davidsons also have Brembo brakes and they are not labeled HD. I suppose that the company buying from Brembo gets to call the shots. See #4 above.
6) Why don't the "1800cc" plates read "1802cc"?
Maybe folks don't care about another 2 cubic centimeters? For whatever reasons, the automotive and motorcycling industries have always rounded to the nearest 50 or (usually!) 100 cc's. In fact, it's usually bumped to the higher number even if it's a gross exaggeration. Hmmmm.. I suspect the marketing department is in charge there as well.
7) Why do we only get one key? (15th "BMW" for those who are counting.)
THAT is a VERY good question! Especially when we're buying a very expensive, "high end" brand of "high tech" motorcycle. We SHOULD have a second (i.e. "backup") key-fob. The damned things can be lost, damaged, stolen, malfunction, etc. In the category of "For What It's Worth" my 2016 Indian also only came with one key fob, which was equally f*cked up. But I was able to buy a second fob for $99, which the dealership then programmed to operate the bike for free. I haven't yet asked the local dealership about the ability to get another fob OR what it will cost, mostly because I fear what the answer(s) will be. I would very much like to have a second fob for emergencies, even if only when the original one's battery dies at an inopportune time.

I have a couple more questions:
8) Why isn't there some way to adjust the height of the rear brake pedal, related to the top of the RH foot peg?
9) With it's apparent monitoring of fuel level in order to begin & indicate "reserve fuel" use, how is it that it has no fuel gauge?

I have a couple more questions:
8) Why isn't there some way to adjust the height of the rear brake pedal, related to the top of the RH foot peg?
9) With it's apparent monitoring of fuel level in order to begin & indicate "reserve fuel" use, how is it that it has no fuel gauge?

yeah, I saw your thread and agree, there's no adjusting it without modifying it. I've seen adjustable foot pegs that rotate to two or three different heights. Maybe something could be re-purposed?

Not to nit-pick :ROFLMAO:, but #9 is a legit gripe. There's really no excuse for no fuel gauge.

The rear brake pedal height looks to be adjustable by loosening up the jam nut and adjusting the rod length. I’d have to play with it but too busy smoking some brisket.

The rear brake pedal height looks to be adjustable by loosening up the jam nut and adjusting the rod length. I’d have to play with it but too busy smoking some brisket.
If you choked up as much as possible on that threaded rod at the clevis, the lever would still spring all the way back to it's 'home' position as determined by the two metal tabs colliding. The result would be no change in lever height but longer travel until the brake engages. theMucker put a little piece of rubber hose on one tab, which helps lower the 'home' a little. I guess you could both choke-up and get more hose or thicker hose on both tabs? Not a very elegant solution, though.

I'm coming to the conclusion that, despite all the talk of it being customizable, the brilliant engineers who engineered our bike didn't want (or foresee) people mucking with their work.

/see what I did there? :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks "TV". And, yep, I did play with the master cylinder "plunger rod". What I have in my is to remove the pedal and drill & tap a hole in the flat tab that comes up to the stop where I put the rubber hose. With a screw installed in that flat part, then I'll have the adjustability that I want. And, doing that, it will probably be necessary to adjust the master cylinder plunger to engage the brake at a lower position.
I have plans. I just need to get around to some of them. :LOL:

Here is an article from the BMWMOA ON (owners News) about adjusting the rear brake petal.3ACBC0BC-B8EC-4B06-A7CD-3E32181C5788.jpeg

Another issue you may need to consider is the 'dicso ball' effect of the fuel cap and instrument chrome on the FE. Shines right into your eye visor at times. Need to think about changing these to black

Another issue you may need to consider is the 'dicso ball' effect of the fuel cap and instrument chrome on the FE. Shines right into your eye visor at times. Need to think about changing these to black
Gotta take a close look at the gas cap. Can it be disassembled, in order to powder coat the chrome top?

Received a set of extremely low profile torx wrenches today. I can't tolerate unreachable fasteners.

View attachment 494

This is something I have in my tool box that works well for these type situations

Back