None of my friends want to buy a BMW

That's a weird message, anything in the owners manual? What version firmware does the TFT show your bike on? Checking the adaptive cruise control antenna / feedhorn is a great suggestion.

So I'm then assuming that Distance Control is another word for Adaptive Cruise Control??

Anyway here is photo of the antenna, not much bug guts.

ACC was off during my 2 hour cruise.

Attachments

• IMG_3689.jpeg
    IMG_3689.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
curious, in the first photo, it shows what I believe is the cruise set at 65, but 0 mph... so the cruise is set but bike is stationary, is that when the message appears? perhaps disabling cruise when bike is stationary would clear it? not much to work with here but thought it might be worth a mention.

curious, in the first photo, it shows what I believe is the cruise set at 65, but 0 mph... so the cruise is set but bike is stationary, is that when the message appears? perhaps disabling cruise when bike is stationary would clear it? not much to work with here but thought it might be worth a mention.
I drove about 85 miles, used "normal" cruise (adaptive not turned on). The message came on about 75 miles into the ride.
I stopped in the garage and put it in neutral and grabbed my phone so I could take a photo, which is why the cruise is set to 65, but I wasn't moving when the photo was taken.

if you dismiss the message, i think a left twitch of the wheel will do that... did the message reappear? wondering if it would return right away or if it was a fluke. I haven't seen that message on my TC and I use the ACC pretty regularly, about 13k miles on the bike. I clean off the sensor when I clean bugs off the lights, it's had some bug debris on it without causing issue. Hope it's a fluke (and you get the new headlight soon). 🖖

Latest exciting news: I ran a couple of errands on my lunch hour. When I started the bike, no error messages. Get going down the road and try to turn on Adaptive Cruise Control with the handlebar button and it gave a different error than yesterday saying that that option was unavailable (or something like that). So as I'm driving down the road I try to turning off the cruise button itself and turn it back on and still get same error. I try to use normal cruise and it works. I try going into the settings and turn ACC on that way and nothing. So I just use the normal cruise to my 1st stop. Start the bike up and go to my 2nd stop and didn't even try to use ACC, but normal cruise is still working. After second stop I try the ACC again(with the handlebar button) and what do you know, it works. It turned on and maintained distance from vehicle in front of me.

Don't believe in flukes.

But...

I will say that this is most likely my last BMW.

I had that same message come up on my last road trip. I hit a bug and even though there wasn't much left over it faulted out the ACC and the cruise control. After I wiped and cleaned it the error went away. I asked at my dealer and they said that its a safety default in case a minor bit of gunk on the radar puts up ghosts or blocks a reading of a car in front of you.

And I don't think the ACC is ever actually off. It will always slow you down if you get too close to a car. At least it seems like mine does.

I just keep a rag in the saddle bag now and give it a wipe whenever I fill up or think about it.

Latest exciting news: I ran a couple of errands on my lunch hour. When I started the bike, no error messages. Get going down the road and try to turn on Adaptive Cruise Control with the handlebar button and it gave a different error than yesterday saying that that option was unavailable (or something like that). So as I'm driving down the road I try to turning off the cruise button itself and turn it back on and still get same error. I try to use normal cruise and it works. I try going into the settings and turn ACC on that way and nothing. So I just use the normal cruise to my 1st stop. Start the bike up and go to my 2nd stop and didn't even try to use ACC, but normal cruise is still working. After second stop I try the ACC again(with the handlebar button) and what do you know, it works. It turned on and maintained distance from vehicle in front of me.

Don't believe in flukes.

But...

I will say that this is most likely my last BMW.
It sounds like your settings are the way I have mine set, by preference. If you want ACC you need to select it, Bug Collection on the "Radar" Window will affect the sensitivity. (bugged up wont work) I personally do not like the ACC on my TC, I have it in my car and it is bothersome, people come around pass you and then get right in front of you ACC says too close and slows you down. Sometimes I feel like I am going backwards! LOL and the Distance is set to minimum.

So mine on the bike was turned on when I bought the bike, Dealer told me I couldn't turn it off, Uh........ WRONG ANSWER! Got up on the interstate, Semi about 100-130 yards in front of me, and the damn bike slowed down! (BTW the max range according to the manual pg116 is 130 yards) About that time the Sirrius XM APP on my phone (which was paired to the bike by the Dealer) quit working, Was also told the Sirrius radio was not installed (again WRONG ANSWER!) BTW The dealership had activated the Sirrius XM, and I got the first 6 months free like I was supposed to. By the time I got halfway home, I had regular Dynamic cruise working and Sirius playing! It took a while to cipher through all the settings. Which is why I have added below.

So in an attempt to assist you in troubleshooting I took some photos of my TFT and how to get to the Cruise control settings. I have also had some weird warning msgs concerning ACC. But I was on a Fresh paved road with no lines at night and no other lighting except my bike (It was pretty dark! LOL) I have found if I get a msg like what you are describing minimize the warning light, with the wonder wheel, the computer on the bike will log it and then clear the visual indications, If you have a WIFI 911 or something that will allow you to tap into the OBD plug and read all the computer settings and such you can clear them. or go back to the dealer and let them look and clear the faults. My dealer is 125 miles away in Memphis. But I digress, Sorry, Match these pics with your screen and see what you have set. might be something as simple as not being turned on. Hope they help!

TFT Settings 1.jpgTFT settings 2.jpgTFT settings 3.jpgTFT settings 4.jpg

It sounds like your settings are the way I have mine set, by preference. If you want ACC you need to select it, Bug Collection on the "Radar" Window will affect the sensitivity. (bugged up wont work) I personally do not like the ACC on my TC, I have it in my car and it is bothersome, people come around pass you and then get right in front of you ACC says too close and slows you down. Sometimes I feel like I am going backwards! LOL and the Distance is set to minimum.

So mine on the bike was turned on when I bought the bike, Dealer told me I couldn't turn it off, Uh........ WRONG ANSWER! Got up on the interstate, Semi about 100-130 yards in front of me, and the damn bike slowed down! (BTW the max range according to the manual pg116 is 130 yards) About that time the Sirrius XM APP on my phone (which was paired to the bike by the Dealer) quit working, Was also told the Sirrius radio was not installed (again WRONG ANSWER!) BTW The dealership had activated the Sirrius XM, and I got the first 6 months free like I was supposed to. By the time I got halfway home, I had regular Dynamic cruise working and Sirius playing! It took a while to cipher through all the settings. Which is why I have added below.

So in an attempt to assist you in troubleshooting I took some photos of my TFT and how to get to the Cruise control settings. I have also had some weird warning msgs concerning ACC. But I was on a Fresh paved road with no lines at night and no other lighting except my bike (It was pretty dark! LOL) I have found if I get a msg like what you are describing minimize the warning light, with the wonder wheel, the computer on the bike will log it and then clear the visual indications, If you have a WIFI 911 or something that will allow you to tap into the OBD plug and read all the computer settings and such you can clear them. or go back to the dealer and let them look and clear the faults. My dealer is 125 miles away in Memphis. But I digress, Sorry, Match these pics with your screen and see what you have set. might be something as simple as not being turned on. Hope they help!

View attachment 11155View attachment 11156View attachment 11157View attachment 11158

Not sure if you saw my last post, but it "magically" started working again.

I've never had so many hassles with a motorcycle. I need the bike to reduce stress, not induce it.
I really do love riding it, it is so much more comfortable of a cruiser than any other bike I've had for going down a straight road. But I really don't want to be wondering when the next issue will arrive.

Not sure if you saw my last post, but it "magically" started working again.

I've never had so many hassles with a motorcycle. I need the bike to reduce stress, not induce it.
I really do love riding it, it is so much more comfortable of a cruiser than any other bike I've had for going down a straight road. But I really don't want to be wondering when the next issue will arrive.
Technology is a wonderful thing aint it? LOL Maybe you got a Gremlin, Got your Gremlin bell on the bike? LOL

Ive got cruise on my car and rarely use it, maybe once or twice a year if that. I find it more of a nuisance than it’s worth on our congested roads. Definitely not relaxing. Sadly as you are experiencing it’s more tech to go wrong aswell.

I have the ACC in my car and never used it, tried it but hated being slowed down without realizing I was going slow for miles.
When I bought the R18B, I swore I would never use it, but decided to try it when on a week long group ride and learned to love it so much
that I kept talking about how it has become one of my favorite things about the bike.
It is super useful when you are stuck behind someone or many someones on a two lane highway with no opportunity to pass, then it is a wrist saver.

I do a lot of group riding and the sensor band is pretty narrow. If you stagger your group like we do it will not pick up the person in front of you but two persons in front of you.
A bit challenging, but I love it.

I'm glad the error message wasn't as dire as I first feared. It was just a confusing message, especially when I never heard anyone else mention it.

It would be nice if it said "Your Adaptive Cruise Control needs to be cleaned or checked" instead of the frightening failure language/warning.

I had no idea that it meant something about ACC at the time. Now it makes a little more sense.

Back