OEM Engine Guards and Wunderlich Bag Protection Bars

I can confirm. I just installed the new ones; Wunderlich has fully resolved the issue with the design and the faulty ones were destroyed.
I did have a set of the originals, returned them when the issue became apparent, and waited for the replacement.

They are a wunderful addition to the bike.

Last edited:
I can confirm. I just installed the new ones; Wunderlich has fully resolved the issue with the design.
I did have a set of the originals, returned them when the issue became apparent, and waited for the replacement.

They are a wunderful addition to the bike.
Do the new ones restrict the suspension like the original ones did?

I emailed Wunderlich to see if the issues with the bag protectors had been fixed and was told that they just received a new shipment of the corrected ones.
  • Part # 18120000-002
    Wunderlich Bag Protection Bars - R18
    Bagger or Transcontinental
    Available in: Black or Chrome​

• ★★★★★★★★★★

I may have missed something in the discussion. Does the new design prevent the exhaust from touching the ground on a drop?
To my knowledge, the new design specifically addressed and resolved the suspension clearance issue near the top connection under the seat.
There were no other changes I've discerned in the lower bars design and positioning.

Last edited:
To my knowledge, the new design specifically addressed the suspension clearance issue near the top connection under the seat.
There were no other changes I've discerned in the lower bars design and positioning.
Copy. Thank you for clarifying.

This link shows a close up of the connection where the design was modified.
https://www.r18forums.com/threads/n...tal-rear-case-protection-bars.1982/post-28543

The old design had a flat plate welded on the end of the tube, placing the connection further inboard, the new one has a plate welded on the side of the tube. They both connect at the same spot on the bike, but the new design keeps it well clear of the suspension travel zone.

Hope this is helpful!

Last edited:
This link shows a close up of the connection where the design was modified.
https://www.r18forums.com/threads/n...tal-rear-case-protection-bars.1982/post-28543

The old design had a flat plate welded on the end of the tube, placing the connection further inboard, the new one has a plate welded on the side of the tube. They both connect at the same spot on the frame, but the new design keeps it well clear of the suspension travel zone.

Hope this is helpful!
Perfect, thank you. That's what I was looking for.

Back to waiting for the black ones to be in stock. :)

I installed the Wunderlich rear bag guards yesterday. Excellent fit, great experience.
It took a few hours, with an extra hour for cleaning while the bike was apart.
The electrical plugs were simple once i figured them out, unplug the rectangular part from the oval section, then release the catch under the oval part and slide it off the rails on the base.
The only thing I will be changing is the cap head bolts provided for the passenger footboards, I think the head should be larger, or it should be washered. I'm going to replace them with Fillster head bolts as original.

View attachment 6867View attachment 6868View attachment 6870

Varg,

Did you end up replacing the bolts with BMW Fillister Head bolts? Did they work out? Can you please share the size/part number you used? I have a set of the bars incoming.

Thanks,

Tom

Varg,

Did you end up replacing the bolts with BMW Fillister Head bolts? Did they work out? Can you please share the size/part number you used? I have a set of the bars incoming.

Thanks,

Tom
Hey Tom,

I'm still using the bolts that came with the bars but do still intend to replace them at some point.

The stock bolts are M8x25 and have a nice broad head.
The Wunderlich are M8x30 and a std cap head, not as broad.

I haven't found a nice M8x30 with a broad head yet, but it's still on the list.

The 5mm extra length of the provided bolt matches the thickness of the flat on the bar so might need longer if washered.

Hope this is helpful - Dave

Hey Tom,

I'm still using the bolts that came with the bars but do still intend to replace them at some point.

The stock bolts are M8x25 and have a nice broad head.
The Wunderlich are M8x30 and a std cap head, not as broad.

I haven't found a nice M8x30 with a broad head yet, but it's still on the list.

The 5mm extra length of the provided bolt matches the thickness of the flat on the bar so might need longer if washered.

Hope this is helpful - Dave
Thanks Dave! I think I found the part we need, a BMW M8 x 30 bolt with a Fillister head. It so happens the brake lever for an R18 has that part. I found it looking through the part assemblies shown on the Max BMW website. I ordered a set, part number 07129907381. Hopefully the bolts are in stock. I’ll report back.

Tom

IMG_0962.png
IMG_0963.png

Thanks Dave! I think I found the part we need, a BMW M8 x 30 bolt with a Fillister head. It so happens the brake lever for an R18 has that part. I found it looking through the part assemblies shown on the Max BMW website. I ordered a set, part number 07129907381. Hopefully the bolts are in stock. I’ll report back.

Tom

View attachment 11124
View attachment 11125
I made a slight correction. Looking at the Wunderlich install instructions I wasn’t thinking that the washer was needed for the foot rests with the longer Fillister bolts. However, I think the washers are needed to keep the footrest flat because the extra 5mm thickness of the bars under the bottom bolt of the footrest. So I ordered 2 M8x 35 bolts in addition to the M8x 30 bolts in case I need them for the top mount where the washer sits:

M8x35, Part number 07129907380

Tom

ordered 2 M8x 35 bolts in addition to the M8x 30 bolts in case I need them for the top mount where the washer sits:

M8x35, Part number 07129907380

Tom
Super news Tom! Thanks for the update, sounds like we're on the right track for a class A fit. Look forward to hearing what the verdict is!
- Dave

So I got the Fillister bolts and I’m working on installing the bars now on my TC. I’m going to post some pictures of taking apart the connectors once I’m done since I’ve had a little trouble getting them apart. I’m down to taking apart one last connector before I start taking the bags off.

One question. Please see the attached pictures of the oval connector under the seat. How
do you pull this connector IMG_1048.jpegIMG_1045.jpegapart? There are two small openings on both sides and I’m not sure if there are tabs you have to push in while pulling the connector apart or the connector should simply pull apart or I need to do something else? All feedback is welcome.

Thanks,

Tom

OK. It was a guess and it worked. You twist the oval connector while you pull it apart after you remove the connector from the plastic clip that attaches it to the fender. That’s the first picture.

IMG_1049.jpeg

There are a few other things I wanted to say. On the rectangular connectors on each side are little tabs you push in while you pull them apart. See picture 2.

IMG_1050.jpeg

The larger piece of the rectangular connectors are still attached to the fender. You need to remove it from the fender because that part is attached to the bags. To do it see the following pictures. There is a clip under each rectangular connector. On the end of the clip take a small screw driver and push against the tab while sliding the clip off the mounting rail attached to the fender.

IMG_1042.jpegIMG_1041.jpeg

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_1044.jpeg
    IMG_1044.jpeg
    959.3 KB · Views: 2
So here are a few beauty shots of the completed job. You can see how the top mount of the redesigned bars fit. To answer the question the 30mm (M8 x 30) Fillister head bolts worked fine on the passenger floorboards (Part number 07129907381) as a substitute. I didn’t need the 35mm bolts.

On an unrelated note it looks like BMW redesigned the side covers on the TC. I came from a First Edition R18 Classic and the side covers on that were metal, heavy and you pushed the mounts straight in. I know a lot of people had trouble with them falling off. On the TC the side covers look similar but they are plastic and a lot lighter. Also the top mount point for the covers near the front of the bike don’t push straight in. Those mounts are at a right angle and you push them in first or you remove the cover from that point last. I suspect they used this new approach so air can’t get under the cover when you’re at speed and pull it off. The other mount points push straight in similar to my old bike.

Tom

IMG_1053.jpegIMG_1054.jpegIMG_1055.jpegIMG_1056.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the report Tom, the bike looks great!

I'll be ordering 4 of those screws for my TC passenger floorboards:

30mm (M8 x 30) Fillister head bolts worked fine on the passenger floorboards (Part number 07129907381)

Really appreciate the details and part numbers!

Back