Oil in exhaust

SteveR

When my R18 Classic had done just 100 miles on startup after a 50 mile run and being left for approx 1 hour there was a huge cloud of blue smoke and stench of burning oil from the left side( side stand side) …. I checked with dealer and was assured this was not a problem and it would clear quite quickly, it did indeed clear after about 1/2 mile, yesterday this happened a further 3 times…….Surely there has to be a mechanical issue if oil is managing to get into the exhaust on that one side often…….Thoughts please

Don't want to scare ya but we had 1 guy that did have a issue.Hopefully not your situation.
Before I had my sidecar installed,I would let the bike idle while standing straight up for about 15-20 seconds before shutting it off then put it in the side stand.I always took it off the side stand before starting and never let it idle for long periods on the side stand.Ofcourse,thats me,Mr Anal.

It is u=indeed a mechanical issue; BNW has a PUMA on it and your bike needs a new left piston. They are going to try to tell you a magic story about how elves will cure the problem as you ride it. It's nonsense and it took almost a year to get it fixed.

Oh dear……post returning home from the BM dealer to have the Stealth tracker removed( battery issue!) after paddling my R18 rearward into my garage I noticed the left hand cylinder exhaust was blathering out a thick blue smoke which very quickly filled my garage. I managed to obtain a video of this and have forwarded it to my Bm dealer. They told me to go out and give it a good “thrashing” for a few miles and it should clear. I did 10 miles returned home and approx 99% of the fumes have cleared from the exhaust. My question is to all you guys and gals on here is: Should I be worried??? The dealer have stated they aren’t aware of any issues with the R18 engine..

Update to this post for those that may be interested!
Bmw have now confirmed I need a new L/H piston and rings…(1400mls) parts on order from Germany and once again I’m without my very expensive motorcycle and no courtesy bike offered.
Disappointed.

Update to this post for those that may be interested!
Bmw have now confirmed I need a new L/H piston and rings…(1400mls) parts on order from Germany and once again I’m without my very expensive motorcycle and no courtesy bike offered.
Disappointed.
Why don't you contact BMW directly and plead your case about a loaner? Have you spoken with the owner of the dealership?

Have spoken with the dealership, no loan bikes available! Trying to get a response from Bmw direct is like trying to get blood out of a stone…..
Piss poor all round, one way or the other. :(

Have spoken with the dealership, no loan bikes available! Trying to get a response from Bmw direct is like trying to get blood out of a stone…..
Piss poor all round, one way or the other. :(
I am interested in knowing, which dealer is giving you the middle finger?

When my R18 Classic had done just 100 miles on startup after a 50 mile run and being left for approx 1 hour there was a huge cloud of blue smoke and stench of burning oil from the left side( side stand side) …. I checked with dealer and was assured this was not a problem and it would clear quite quickly, it did indeed clear after about 1/2 mile, yesterday this happened a further 3 times…….Surely there has to be a mechanical issue if oil is managing to get into the exhaust on that one side often…….Thoughts please
I've encountered the left-side oil puff on virtually all boxers I've owned. What happens is the oil settles on the left side as the bike sits on its kickstand. Over time, it'll creep its way through the piston rings and a little bit will make it to the combustion-side of the cylinder.

What helps is right after you stop the motor, if you have the body strength to do it, lean the bike to the right for several seconds. Most of the free-standing oil from the left cylinder will run back into the crankcase.

If you go to other beemer forums, especially Chromeheads, it's a rite of passage to lean the bike to the right, then kickstand out, then let the bike rest left.

BUT...how many miles do you have on your R18 C? A new tight boxer shouldn't be belching out huge clouds of blue smoke and burning oil. I'd ask the service department to do a cold cylinder compression check to check the health of those piston rings, especially if you are still under warranty!

Mike

SteveR,

I stumbled across this video on YT with another owner complaining about the exact same issue as you. Turns out BMW wanted to replace the left-side cylinder, so you may be in luck for some warranty work. Video link below:

Mike

Back