Oil leak right side??

I returned from a short ride and noticed alittle oil spray down the ride side of the bike. It appears to be under the right side engine jug and apparently in the engine mounting molt in front of the motor. I really hope it's nothing major, I have less then a tank gas worth of miles on her.

Attachments

• IMG_20210408_185642366.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20210408_181802161.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20210408_182041750.jpg
    IMG_20210408_182041750.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20201115_112447512.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20210408_182105496.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 27
Any drips on the garage floor? No matter, I'd confirm that it's not somehow coming from any of the reservoirs---brake fluid, clutch fluid. Then take the right cylinder head cover off and make sure everything is tight and clean. If yes, next wipe everything off and go for a longer ride. Check the surfaces when you return. I bet it was overfill or some other "shop mishap" from when your bike was prepped for sale.

Last edited:
I'm going after work today. There's no drips on the floor, I checked the right cylinder head at the fill port, all brake/clutch fluid appears to be full.
I think that TodkaVonic is spot-on. The chromed cylinderhead cover comes off with just 2 screws and it would be easy to check out the oil fill port, etc. for any potential leak. You may have a simple "oops" that's easy to correct. Truth to tell, even if it needs to go back to the dealer to be sure all is OK, I'm sure it will be taken care of.

I have 809 miles on odometer. I'm changed oil 150 miles ago, used 4 liters of original BMW advantec pro 15w50 oil and filter. I have a good oil level ,exactly on the middle, when engine is hot. When I had a short ride on Christmas, I'm started feeling smell of oil and I found oil on the right side of the bike...(((

Some pictures of leaks...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211226-132123_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211226-132123_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20211226-132103_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211226-132103_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20211226-132052_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211226-132052_Gallery.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
A few drops of Oil can appear as much larger amount.I would pull off the chrome cover and see if you may have gotten a little on the outside of the filler hole.The dealer did my first oil change and there was a small amount of oil in the ring bottom of the oil fill hole.
Hope that helps...

Did we ever get anywhere with that? .. I got to work today and my whole right side is covered with oil exhaust, saddlebag and seat ... nothing on my pants ... and I can't for the life of tell where it is from ... from the pegs on back ... lots of oil spray.

Leaky oil filter gasket ... never experienced anything like it. I installed a lot of oil filters in my life, it's really no rocket science ... but this one was leaking. I went and cleaned everything off the best I could, took her for an easy ( put put) 20 miles and then checked and it was completely wet around the filter. So odd, I just put that one in a couple weeks ago and it felt proper tight when I took it out. I found one in town and changed it out ... I will see on my way to work today if that was it.

Feel embarrassed to ask but it’s not something stupid like the rubber sealing ring having come off the old filter and being stuck up there?

Feel embarrassed to ask but it’s not something stupid like the rubber sealing ring having come off the old filter and being stuck up there?
LOL ... I was thinking the same thing ... but sadly no. I double checked that first thing. I have no explanation ... other than maybe a dud filter .. these things happen, at this time I am just (cautiously optimistic) happy that that may have been all it was.

LOL ... I was thinking the same thing ... but sadly no. I double checked that first thing. I have no explanation ... other than maybe a dud filter .. these things happen, at this time I am just (cautiously optimistic) happy that that may have been all it was.
Ahh, shame. That would have been an easy fix. 🤞 it’s sorted now.

Well ... 40 miles to work and back @ 10 miles town traffic and @ 30 miles freeway @80 mph on cruise and not a single drop of oil anywhere .. I can't believe it was the oil filter ... must have been a dud ... maybe a bad seam or something ... who cares all good now and I am happy!

Back