justabill
Member
- Joined
- Dec 18, 2022
- Messages
- 29
- Location
- Chicagoland
- Bike
- R18CLS, R1250RS, R100RT, R80 Custom, R90S
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
In my next life, if I have to reincarnate as an inate object, I'm returning as one of your gaskets.Agree with Ulrich, these gaskets ARE pretty tough and IMHO, should last for many valve adjustments.
Something I do is take mine and thoroughly clean all the oil off with dish soap and hot water. If the rubber is still slippery, then I repeat washing with dish soap until the rubber has no slick feel.
I then use brake cleaner on the metal surfaces, wiping each halves until they are spotless and have zero oil film. Also make sure all oil has drained back into the crankcase and not pooled up in the left-side cylinder head, which would frustrate efforts to reinstall the left-hand gasket with a 100% oil-free mating surface. Sitting on the bike and angling it towards the right for 10-20 seconds should be enough to get sufficient oil drained back into the crankcase.
The bolts torque down to 10Nm.
And...don't forget the spark plug hole gasket! Sometimes it comes off with the valve cover and gets omitted in the rubber/metal gasket cleaning process.
Mike