Oil question

• Thread starter Deleted member 1344
  • Start date

Is the oil in the pic below acceptable for your dry clutch R18?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member 1344

Deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
I see no reason for some such special lube for the engine in our R18's... That said everyone goes ape over oils and appears they know little about the subject... I am going to take the easy route and let the BMW dealer use his most experienced mechanic to my oil changes ! ! ! even though I know BMW uses the lowest bidder to bottle their oils....

BTW Four of my past 5 BMWs all had a sight glass, and never an issue until the R18... Now that she had her first service by a trusted mechanic, Shawn Smoak of Pro Caliber, I found the same issue, no OIL In the Sight Glass ??? same as when I bough the bike, you say ?????

It would be fine.But BMW recommends API SN JASO MA2(Japan Spec Oil 4T to be used in wet clutch motorcycles) .
That being said,If you aren't going to use BMW oil, I would recommend at least staying with the BMW requirement.
I don't want to start a oil thread but I highly recommend this oil:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334100163602?hash=item4dc9ebec12:g:6lsAAOSwnE5hqS44&amdata=enc:AQAHAAABANRgsJsYrmaBJseGRjVV5v7kbGv/rRjRFOXOtCuEyI4KTNEAvhufOrKJBLR5G1Mdst3n1AlkU9jAU+5UB1cnU21aLv+rVKge0ePJ7Wn3EuYOnhylRwpbQRXxOrPl03T1EpRLy7f40oiGgF/NZt/o0kTKjaH6humnIUnMUy8r/kDQF4YHLezw+OEB3WOgiHf8aOX9tkGkp71yIMb3LvvAs9RpPa3x09lJwaZ5uFjPao6nU8KnhWjXYbGuSd+QeriMenyOVTJb23VTdZ8yDUNoLbsUwUpHq/+VtbWalpVAbQjoD3UjTaPlD7TyWHl+MmI+jl810wzAvBtbK+6OxXMi7UE=|tkp:BFBM_vT96sVg

It is the correct spec oil and comes in 1L bottles buy 12 for about $100 and get 3 oil changes.
I have been using their 20w50 full synthetic oil in my Indian 2017 Limited since it was new.
Lastly,it is cheaper to buy the 12 bottles on eBay than directly thru them.I believe their refinery is located in Florida and they make oil for companies that put their own labels.
In the end use what you like,I do.
JASO MA2 is also for bikes with catalytic converters. It doesn't have to be the BMW brand, but should match the spec. If you don't and have an engine issue, BMW can legitimately disallow any warranty coverage for the engine. BMW JASO MA2 oil vs regular synthetic car oil like Mobil 1 is $2/quart difference when bought by the quart. You replace 4 quarts every 6000 miles, so it's $8/6000 miles more expensive. Doesn't seem worth the tradeoff on potential engine issues for such a minor cost difference.

If you buy in bulk like R18C says here for one that matches spec even if not BMW brand, it's even cheaper, but also still won't invalidate warranty.

JASO MA2 is also for bikes with catalytic converters. It doesn't have to be the BMW brand, but should match the spec. If you don't and have an engine issue, BMW can legitimately disallow any warranty coverage for the engine. BMW JASO MA2 oil vs regular synthetic car oil like Mobil 1 is $2/quart difference when bought by the quart. You replace 4 quarts every 6000 miles, so it's $8/6000 miles more expensive. Doesn't seem worth the tradeoff on potential engine issues for such a minor cost difference.

If you buy in bulk like R18C says here for one that matches spec even if not BMW brand, it's even cheaper, but also still won't invalidate warranty.
Indeed, the silly expense of using a oil that could cause difficulties down the line is not worth it, I will have all my service work done by the Authorized dealer PERIOD. I will ask them next time around why there is no oil in my sight glass !! That has me going nuts.. jp

Ride on!!
Indeed, the silly expense of using a oil that could cause difficulties down the line is not worth it, I will have all my service work done by the Authorized dealer PERIOD. I will ask them next time around why there is no oil in my sight glass !! That has me going nuts.. jp
more than a few of us are curious too.

I got a email from a Technician at Mobil... He told me the same thing as Shawn Smoak at Pro Caliber in Vancouver Washington, USE OEM.... Mobil 1 good as it is, is not formulated for the R18..... Mobil said that not me ! ! ! !

zYRZoXQ.png

You have a TON of choices here. Not as common as 5W-40 but there are a crap load of choices online for that oil

I use Motul because I get 50% off their oils - https://www.motul.com/us/en/products/7100-4t-15w50 but you can use the stuff from Mobil1, Castrol, Liquid-Moly, BMW branded, the list goes on.

Buy cheap and meets specs and you're good.

Think about this for a moment. The BMW Advantec oil is prescribed for bikes with catalytic converters. If oil is reaching the catalytic converter, then it must necessarily be blowing past the rings.
A new motor burning oil would have me more concerned about the quality of the engine than the brand of oil. Since when is my new R18TC burning oil at 1,500 miles?

Every modern car I've looked at owning has an acceptable oil-loss figure. My new Volkswagen Tiguan which is direct injected and turbocharged has an 'acceptable limit' of 700ML every 10K miles. At a total value of 6L of oil, that's 10% of my oil going out the tail pipe from day zero.

BMW, to my knowledge doesn't have any thing posted for Motorrad on acceptable oil consumption. My F750GS, R1200GS and modern R1250GS bikes do not burn oil after the break-in service. All 3 drink coolant and burn some oil until 3-6K miles then they stop. If they burn oil, there's a problem or you're laying them sideways on trails too much.

My opinion...and not a technical one is you're reading into the Advtantec advantages too much and that while a benefit is it's safe to use in bikes that are EURO5 with catalytic converters, it's not an admittance by BMW That the R18 or any other bike burns oil, only that the oil is safe for cats if you are which...in my experience when my R1200GS was laying upside down in a creek for an hour and we pulled it out, it blew smoke out the tail pipe for 20 miles or so while it burned off all of the oil that moved into places it shouldn't be. It's good to know the oil I had in the system wasn't wrecking havoc on that expensive Cat under my butt in that process.

So in short, Advantec meet's BMW's used JASO MA2 spec and has a feature of being safe for cats but is not because our bikes or any BMW burns oil by design.

Think about this for a moment. The BMW Advantec oil is prescribed for bikes with catalytic converters. If oil is reaching the catalytic converter, then it must necessarily be blowing past the rings.
A new motor burning oil would have me more concerned about the quality of the engine than the brand of oil. Since when is my new R18TC burning oil at 1,500 miles?
Being prescribed for engines with catalytic converters doesn’t mean it is going to lubricate the catalytic converter itself and thus blowing past the rings. It’s that the tolerances and performance requirements for engines with catalytic converters aren’t the same as those without them.

I have watched BMW production lines working on YouTube. I see precise robotics and assume top level tolerances.
Wouldn’t it be interesting if BMW dialed back their precision and assembly fitment in order to place catalytic converters in the mufflers?
Makes no rational sense at all.

I think you mis-read me or someone else. The BMW R18 does have Catalytic converters. Every EURO5 motorcycle requires them. They're discreetly tucked away mid-way through the fore-pipe where the 2 welds are before the secondary O2 sensors. My point was, I don't think blow-by is occurring or if it is, it's so minimal that I'm not losing oil in my sightglass between oil changes on any of my bikes.

JY4QI7I.png

I apologize for any tone containing sarcasm. Your answers are always complete and often supported with graphics.
I misunderstood the thread by nielsm that production tolerance is different when a cat converter is in the mix.

Last edited by a moderator:
I apologize for any tone containing sarcasm. Your answers are always complete and often supported with graphics.
I misunderstood the thread by nielsm that production tolerance is different when a cat converter is in the mix.

I am VERY literal and I'm sorry about that. My office mates tell me I can't read sarcasm and they take full advantage. I meant no offense. The internet can be hard on reading body language or word choice as well.

I think you misunderstood me as well. Modern engines that have to meet emissions and noise requirements while having good performance have different tolerances, thermal considerations, etc than older engines and thus require higher specification oils. It isn’t the act of adding a catalytic converter alone that would change tolerances (certainly not lower). In fact BMW bikes have had catalytic converters since 2000, yet JA2 wasn’t available till 2006.

Back