Oil under bike!

So…it’s still happening. It’s of varying amounts each time, still not as much as the very first time. But there are still a few drops coming out and and small stream from the breather.

How much can a garage overfill a bloody gearbox???

Why haven't they simply drained and refilled with the proper quantity? They assessed an overfill and didn't make it right before sending you down the road with it doing an old Triumph impersonation, pathetic customer service. I'm sure I've asked this before, but it's still the gorilla in the room and it's on them, not directed in anyway towards you. I would be riding it and cleaning up as you are, but I would call once more to get it in or look for another shop if at all possible.

Why haven't they simply drained and refilled with the proper quantity? They assessed an overfill and didn't make it right before sending you down the road with it doing an old Triumph impersonation, pathetic customer service. I'm sure I've asked this before, but it's still the gorilla in the room and it's on them, not directed in anyway towards you. I would be riding it and cleaning up as you are, but I would call once more to get it in or look for another shop if at all possible.
It’s annoying me now. It’s on my list to call them on Tuesday when they open. When I noticed more after they looked at it, I called and said it was nothing to worry about at all…I’m not worried, I’m annoyed.

I know this isn't much help but...

At least our bikes HAVE a transmission breather valve. Imagine if the transmission was a sealed unit with overfilled fluid? It would find the weakest seal, likely the output shaft, to leak from.

As the breather valve is further up than the output seal, most of the fluid is still retained within the transmission, so that's something?

Trying to inject some bleak optimism here. Is it working?

eric-idle-monty-python.gif

It’s annoying me now. It’s on my list to call them on Tuesday when they open. When I noticed more after they looked at it, I called and said it was nothing to worry about at all…I’m not worried, I’m annoyed.
I would just drain the tranny and refill it myself. It is not hard to do. There is full synthetic Mopar gear oil which is basically the same as the expensive BMW oil. I bought some. Cost me $40.

I know this isn't much help but...

At least our bikes HAVE a transmission breather valve. Imagine if the transmission was a sealed unit with overfilled fluid? It would find the weakest seal, likely the output shaft, to leak from.

As the breather valve is further up than the output seal, most of the fluid is still retained within the transmission, so that's something?

Trying to inject some bleak optimism here. Is it working?

View attachment 6055
This is true, the breather being up so high also means it can't lose all of the fluid, well not at a fast pace anyway. I think it takes 1.5 litres of oil, it is very hard to say how much has come out with how viscus this stuff is, but it is a very very small amount.

I am calling them tomorrow to just make sure, it does have a warranty but I don't want to have to lean on that.

Here are the pics of mine.
Hi Frank,
I have an R18 with 300 miles on it. I had the exact same leak today from that breather valve. In addition to tiger marks on the rear tire with what looks like adried seep coming from the final drive. What happened with service? Did they tell you if it was normal?

Sometimes a bike will weep a bit when new with few miles.
If you wipe down the stripes on your wheel and any other oil, I’ll bet you won’t see it again.
Also, the first time the bike goes through extreme temp changes, there may be a weep.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Frank,
I have an R18 with 300 miles on it. I had the exact same leak today from that breather valve. In addition to tiger marks on the rear tire with what looks like adried seep coming from the final drive. What happened with service? Did they tell you if it was normal?
I eventually traded in for an R18B, but I did go back about 3 times about the leak which they said was just overfill and it was nothing to worry about.

Back