Oil under bike!

I requested to have all my fluids changed at 600 mile service(1st & Last except for valve clearance,waiting on a manual).
Since the trans and rear end can't be checked,I wanted to getr dunn.
Got the oil leak from the oil fill hole where the service guy did not clean arounf the oil filler plug.Oil leaked all over the underside of the (r) cylinder.

Ah, mine is 110% tranny oil and coming from the tranny breather, it is high up on the casing, I posted a pic on the previous page.

Ah, mine is 110% tranny oil and coming from the tranny breather, it is high up on the casing, I posted a pic on the previous page.
In Arizona we can ride from 800 feet to 7800 in Flagstaff.Different altitudes can cause pressure hence ear popping.Not sure how or where you ride.
It sounds like you spit some out the breather.Riding a little more aggressive or different environment ?

Everyone has to make their own decision on what to do here.Since you did not ask and already contacted the dealer,I won't offer a opinion.
I will ask if there is another dealer in your area.My expierence traveling over the years is,dealers tend to put you at the head of the line if you stop in with a issue during the trip.;)
Good luck

In Arizona we can ride from 800 feet to 7800 in Flagstaff.Different altitudes can cause pressure hence ear popping.Not sure how or where you ride.
It sounds like you spit some out the breather.Riding a little more aggressive or different environment ?

Everyone has to make their own decision on what to do here.Since you did not ask and already contacted the dealer,I won't offer a opinion.
I will ask if there is another dealer in your area.My expierence traveling over the years is,dealers tend to put you at the head of the line if you stop in with a issue during the trip.;)
Good luck

Not much changes in altitude with my rides lately, but a mix of things with traffic, open road, J&H exhaust open and closed and some relaxed and aggressive riding. Have gotten a few false neutrals as well but I had put that down to the bike still working in.

I will ask, if you were me and had not contact the dealer, what would you do?

I will say that I have had great experiences with the dealership over the years. And I do feel for them in a regard with being under staffed.

Change the trans oil If you really think the fluid is low.
Draining and measuring the amount of oil in the trans will help you to make the decision whether to ride it or not.
Refill with the correct amount and see if you get any oil on the floor.If you do drain and check it again.

You asked me what I would do.There you have it.

What I think?
It sux that you can't ride it and I would do the aboved mentioned and use some dawn/soapy water to wash all the engine to make sure that all the oil drip is gone.

Good luck Bro

TK

Change the trans oil If you really think the fluid is low.
Draining and measuring the amount of oil in the trans will help you to make the decision whether to ride it or not.
Refill with the correct amount and see if you get any oil on the floor.If you do drain and check it again.

You asked me what I would do.There you have it.

What I think?
It sux that you can't ride it and I would do the aboved mentioned and use some dawn/soapy water to wash all the engine to make sure that all the oil drip is gone.

Good luck Bro

TK
Appreciate it!

So, the fun and games continues.

I was able to get the receipt and itemized list of the first service. All fluids were changed and they fully reckon, that with the amount that came out, there was a bit of overfill but they will still check it. He did say a small ride to see if any more came out (and the amount, if it did) would point towards that idea as well. So I will do that once I have time.

Took her out for a small ride to see if maybe it would stop and that would indicate it’s an overfill issue. But once I was stopped at the lights I peaked down and saw it coming down the casing again. Granted it was a smaller amount, but it’s still there.

I should hold off on riding it until I can get it checked. I’m not tech savvy enough to do anything other than wipe the oil.

To say I’m bummed out is an understatement. Literally have the bike 2 weeks and now I have to wait 2 weeks to get it looked at…

Update:

Got a cancellation at the dealership and the bike is in there getting looked at today. Ironically, when I rode over, it looked like the leak had stopped...of course!

I should be getting her back today/tomorrow.

For years on the Chromehead forum for the R1200C, many guys would claim it is better to change one's own oil rather than have an expensive tech fumble an oil change. I guess I got lucky. Never had service done. Ordered a Clymers manual and did things myself (wasn't that fun as I am not a DNA wrench).

Took her out for a small ride to see if maybe it would stop and that would indicate it’s an overfill issue. But once I was stopped at the lights I peaked down and saw it coming down the casing again. Granted it was a smaller amount, but it’s still there.

I should hold off on riding it until I can get it checked. I’m not tech savvy enough to do anything other than wipe the oil.

To say I’m bummed out is an understatement. Literally have the bike 2 weeks and now I have to wait 2 weeks to get it looked at…
Most likely overfilled.

Took her for a ride…still doing it. Mechanic said it was from the breather so it was overfilled, but clearly there is either too much still in there or it’s not the issue.

Attachments

• 1FF38F53-2533-43C5-B1E7-8427C0AAE662.jpeg
    1FF38F53-2533-43C5-B1E7-8427C0AAE662.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
Took her for a ride…still doing it. Mechanic said it was from the breather so it was overfilled, but clearly there is either too much still in there or it’s not the issue.
Again,a little looks like a bunch.
The dealer could drain and refill.You still may have some residual from the overflow area.
Suggest you call the dealer and make sure you aren't gonna hurt anything and then just ride it.Putting some real highway miles on this weekend.
They will have to fix it if anything is wrong.Stop riding if you you hear the transmission whine or have trouble shifting.Remember,you have BMW warranty with roadside assistance.
Relax and be safe out there.

TK

I'm a bit surprised when after the mechanic assessed the problem as an overfill why they didn't correct the problem?

I'm guessing you having just recently purchased the bike that the only people having responsibility for the lubricants were when she was assembled and/or serviced and those individuals are/were BMW employees at the factory and/or dealer?

If so this is pathetic customer service and beyond red neck engineering as a way to correct a simple overfill. I'm sure when they change plugs they use the tried and true "tighten until they start to get loose and then back off a quarter turn for proper torque".........

Back