Onboard Power Socket not working

fernando

Site Supporter
Very confused here, I went riding my R18 Classic on a rainy weather last week and my cell phone alerted me the USB port was sensing water, of course because I was using it as GPS I dismissed the alert.
Happy riding for more than an hour and I then noticed the phone is not charging.
-Back at home I figured out phone was OK, it was receiving charge.
Here I just want to rule out USB-lighting cable and then adapter that plugs to the bike's onboard socket.
-Tested USB-lighting cable, works OK.
So I think, oh! it is my Optimate 105 DIN to USB adapter the faulty piece here then... wrong.
-I tested the new adapter i just bought, it does not charge the phone either.
-Not only that, I tested the old adapter (Optimate 105), USB-Lighting cable with the phone to a SAE line directly connected to battery and they all work!
So now I think, oh my! it MUST be the FUSE for that onboard socket then. Got the manual, opened the side cover, found the 15Amp fuse for the Onboard Socket and... it looks OK.
-Replaced the old fuse with a new 15Amp fuse. Nothing. No charge.
I also checked the socket it self, removed the plastic panel where it is attached. I see no sign of cables or contacts damaged.

At this point, I am kind of lost, all the hardware seems to be working ok, but no electricity is coming through the onboard power socket.
Could it be the canbus needing a hard reset (disconnecting the battery) or something else? You guys have any idea?

As it is CANBUS, it can shut off on its own. I’ve had that happen when I tried to use too much heated gear and went beyond the 5A it can support on the socket. It requires a full cycle of the bike’s ignition to re-engage it.

Since it was wet weather, it may be possible some water got into the socket itself and is causing a short, so the bike kills the power. Maybe try a dryer to ensure it is completely dry, then restart bike to see if it comes back.

It's worth taking the socket assembly apart and verifying that the wiring plug is still in fact connected; if so, and if you have a multi meter (volt meter), check that you are getting 12 V DC at the plug connection at the rear of the socket (see the pictures of my socket, off of my R 18 B).

On my B model, Fuse No. 3 (15A Optional accessories, radio, Top Case Light) is what powers my dash socket; which was mentioned earlier, is in fact limited to 5A and will be automatically shut off if it exceeds that amperage. The socket will also shut down if the battery voltage is critically low, to where starting could be an issue.

If you don't own a volt meter; not a bad tool to have around the house and garage. I own a Fluke multimeter.

You can also check for voltage at the fuse socket as well; the multimeter will allow you to perform a continuity test of the fuses (removes the guess work).

1668363215071.png

Attachments

• IMG_20221113_123911819_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221113_123911819_HDR.jpg
    1,019 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20221113_123937213_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221113_123937213_HDR.jpg
    1,020.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Very confused here, I went riding my R18 Classic on a rainy weather last week and my cell phone alerted me the USB port was sensing water, of course because I was using it as GPS I dismissed the alert.
Happy riding for more than an hour and I then noticed the phone is not charging.
-Back at home I figured out phone was OK, it was receiving charge.
Here I just want to rule out USB-lighting cable and then adapter that plugs to the bike's onboard socket.
-Tested USB-lighting cable, works OK.
So I think, oh! it is my Optimate 105 DIN to USB adapter the faulty piece here then... wrong.
-I tested the new adapter i just bought, it does not charge the phone either.
-Not only that, I tested the old adapter (Optimate 105), USB-Lighting cable with the phone to a SAE line directly connected to battery and they all work!
So now I think, oh my! it MUST be the FUSE for that onboard socket then. Got the manual, opened the side cover, found the 15Amp fuse for the Onboard Socket and... it looks OK.
-Replaced the old fuse with a new 15Amp fuse. Nothing. No charge.
I also checked the socket it self, removed the plastic panel where it is attached. I see no sign of cables or contacts damaged.

At this point, I am kind of lost, all the hardware seems to be working ok, but no electricity is coming through the onboard power socket.
Could it be the canbus needing a hard reset (disconnecting the battery) or something else? You guys have any idea?
This is an update, just in case you follow the thread. The Optimate 105 WAS the faulty device. Bike is OK!
Also, just to add to the original story, I bought an new DIN Hella to SAE cable and SAE to USB adapter. The Hella to SAE cable came with the polarity reversed ( I almost died when it did not work, then I realized). ;)

Last edited:
The few times I have ridden a bike in rain, something negative always seems to happen to the electrics. Maybe it is my age (over 60) but I do not ride when rain is inevitable. Had too much bad luck.

I have a non-functional socket too. My bike is about 3-4 days old. Have to take it in to the dealer.
I have been riding to the dealership every day since the purchase for one clarification or another. Yesterday, it was to ask about the socket. It is a nice scenic ride if you choose the backroads. This weekend is the exception as it is rainy.
Will update with details when rectified.

Back