Open Letter to BMW Motorrad

theMucker

Premium Member
Hey Guys!

This is from ME and I'm just an American motorcyclist. Granted, I'm a retired mechanic/machinist and I've been riding since 1971. I probably don't "measure up" to the demographic that a great thoroughly modern auto/motorcycle manufacturer will pay much attention to. But I have recently bought one of your new 2021 BMW R18 "First Editions" and, with a couple hundred miles under the wheels, I would like to offer my initial impressions...

First off... WOW! I've owned a lot of motorcycles since 1971 [when I was 16 years old on Long Island, NY] and, as a professional mechanical technician and machinist, I've never seen or owned a motorcycle that didn't need some "tweaking" to make it PROPER. The R18 is the closest thing to it that I have ever seen or ridden. It is damned close to PROPER!

Is it perfect? Is any new model of motorcycle perfect? For 99.999% of the riding world the answer has to be "no" and that's as to be expected. There are just too many different riders, each with different criteria of what perfection is. I am a life-long rider who's had AND/OR worked on almost every type of motorcycle made today and in the past. I have been a motorcycle mechanic for a few decades, while also building and/or working on cars, trucks, American fighter-jets AND sub-atomic particle detectors. I currently own a great American touring machine and have recently wanted to get another motorcycle that gives me the light-weight handling of the "standards" and the sport-bikes that I used to own (Kawasaki-Ninjas, Ducati 900SS/SP, etc.) In this modern day, I suppose that the relatively long wheelbase and low seat of the R18 automatically makes it a "cruiser". But the seat, foot peg and handlebar grip positions place it squarely into what used to be called a "standard" motorcycle. Couple those characteristics with the BIG 1800cc engine's massive torque & horsepower and it would have been called a "power cruiser" in the 80s and 90s. None the less, as a 700-plus pound motorcycle that feels like it weighs 500 pounds, I call it my "sportbike". With two fingers over the front brake lever and a light grip on a very responsive "Rock" throttle, I know that it will surprise a lot of other riders on the "Tail of the Dragon", Rt. 129 in Tennessee and North Carolina. You can count me in!

Right off the sale floor, would I change anything? Sure.

The marketing department was apparently in charge when they chose a descendant of the Marquis deSade to design the OEM seat. It looks great in photos, but in all other regards it's essentially plywood with a thin vinyl covering. The rear suspension isn't really bad... but it could use more compliance and adjustability for a wider range of rider(s) weights. Your efforts toward making the R18 "modification friendly" in so far as swapping bolt-on stuff like handlebars and mufflers is laudable, but your accessories [including alternative seats to reduce pain AT SIGNIFICANT ADDITIONAL COSTS!] are priced at a level that will leave the "working class" shopping for a Japanese brand of bike. While producing a thoroughly modern motorcycle with electric reverse, traction control, three riding modes, antilock AND integrated brakes, advanced lighting that adapts to steering & braking conditions, digital information regarding time-date-MPG, two trip meters and a readout that shows miles traveled while riding on "reserve tank", you couldn't add a fuel gauge?

Please don't take this letter as sour grapes because it is NOT. I've ridden hundreds (maybe a thousand) of other motorcycles. There is no other motorcycle made today that I would rather have bought and for that I applaud you. But, as always with new machines, the are some things that might have been done better. None the less, I have no regrets. Each time I see it in the garage and especially each time I throw a leg over it, I feel like a new rider who's just bought his first motorcycle. It's fantastic. The R18 just plain ROCKS!

Thank you!
Ken "the Mucker" Sexton
Sale Creek, TN

PS: It's also GORGEOUS!

Last edited:
I like it Ken. May I suggest that you ride it a few thousand miles to fine-tune or even augment your letter? I don't disagree with anything you wrote, but your opinions may change, who knows. Alternatively you could make it clear that these are your initial impressions?

Nate

Last edited:
I like it Ken. May I suggest that you ride it a few thousand miles to fine-tune or even augment your letter? I don't disagree with anything you wrote, but your opinions may change, who knows. Alternatively you could make it clear that these are your initial impressions?

Nate
Good suggestions. Done.

Hey Guys!

This is from ME and I'm just an American motorcyclist. Granted, I'm a retired mechanic/machinist and I've been riding since 1971. I probably don't "measure up" to the demographic that a great thoroughly modern auto/motorcycle manufacturer will pay much attention to. But I have recently bought one of your new 2021 BMW R18 "First Editions" and, with a couple hundred miles under the wheels, I would like to offer my initial impressions...

First off... WOW! I've owned a lot of motorcycles since 1971 [when I was 16 years old on Long Island, NY] and, as a professional mechanical technician and machinist, I've never seen or owned a motorcycle that didn't need some "tweaking" to make it PROPER. The R18 is the closest thing to it that I have ever seen or ridden. It is damned close to PROPER!

Is it perfect? Is any new model of motorcycle perfect? For 99.999% of the riding world the answer has to be "no" and that's as to be expected. There are just too many different riders, each with different criteria of what perfection is. I am a life-long rider who's had AND/OR worked on almost every type of motorcycle made today and in the past. I have been a motorcycle mechanic for a few decades, while also building and/or working on cars, trucks, American fighter-jets AND sub-atomic particle detectors. I currently own a great American touring machine and have recently wanted to get another motorcycle that gives me the light-weight handling of the "standards" and the sport-bikes that I used to own (Kawasaki-Ninjas, Ducati 900SS/SP, etc.) In this modern day, I suppose that the relatively long wheelbase and low seat of the R18 automatically makes it a "cruiser". But the seat, foot peg and handlebar grip positions place it squarely into what used to be called a "standard" motorcycle. Couple those characteristics with the BIG 1800cc engine's massive torque & horsepower and it would have been called a "power cruiser" in the 80s and 90s. None the less, as a 700-plus pound motorcycle that feels like it weighs 500 pounds, I call it my "sportbike". With two fingers over the front brake lever and a light grip on a very responsive "Rock" throttle, I know that it will surprise a lot of other riders on the "Tail of the Dragon", Rt. 129 in Tennessee and North Carolina. You can count me in!

Right off the sale floor, would I change anything? Sure.

The marketing department was apparently in charge when they chose a descendant of the Marquis deSade to design the OEM seat. It looks great in photos, but in all other regards it's essentially plywood with a thin vinyl covering. The rear suspension isn't really bad... but it could use more compliance and adjustability for a wider range of rider(s) weights. Your efforts toward making the R18 "modification friendly" in so far as swapping bolt-on stuff like handlebars and mufflers is laudable, but your accessories [including alternative seats to reduce pain AT SIGNIFICANT ADDITIONAL COSTS!] are priced at a level that will leave the "working class" shopping for a Japanese brand of bike. While producing a thoroughly modern motorcycle with electric reverse, traction control, three riding modes, antilock AND integrated brakes, advanced lighting that adapts to steering & braking conditions, digital information regarding time-date-MPG, two trip meters and a readout that shows miles traveled while riding on "reserve tank", you couldn't add a fuel gauge?

Please don't take this letter as sour grapes because it is NOT. I've ridden hundreds (maybe a thousand) of other motorcycles. There is no other motorcycle made today that I would rather have bought and for that I applaud you. But, as always with new machines, the are some things that might have been done better. None the less, I have no regrets. Each time I see it in the garage and especially each time I throw a leg over it, I feel like a new rider who's just bought his first motorcycle. It's fantastic. The R18 just plain ROCKS!

Thank you!
Ken "the Mucker" Sexton
Sale Creek, TN

PS: It's also GORGEOUS!
This is a great overall post. I really have to laugh in spite of myself because Mucker is absolutely correct about the medieval torure device known as an R 18 seat. It did occur to me that the shitty seat and the lack of fuel gauge are linked. One can not possibly run short of fuel, ever, because one could not possibly remain seated for that long!

I've ridden about 25 years now, all kinds of bikes, mostly BMWs but some others tossed in. Yes, I went through my Harley period, which ended around 2014, had too many of them to tell the truth. My bike today is the 2022 TC pictured. Overall, I really like the bike, seat included... I have raised the question of oil temp gauge here, and I still believe it is needed, but that is just me. The message I would send to BMW would be on engine power. If you expect to pull market share from Harley and Indian (which is a nice bike BTW) the boxer is going to need to produce more power. The TC is just about 100# heavier than the competition. Higher weight and less power will not pull US market share in my opinion... Love your message and assessment.....

I would agree, seat, fuel gauge, (which is weird because it has a display to scroll through all sorts of engine information), and I would add more power.
Ill always take more power.
Why doesnt this big motor make more power?

Back