Our 2021 BMW R-18 First Edition has Catastrophic Failure

Hello, Erik from France. Just got My R18 on Saturday. Went for a ride on Sunday. Just had the exact same problem after about 20 miles... Decided to let it run and it completely disappeared after 2 or 3 miles. we've done about 100 miles after this "episode", nothing happened... I will let BMW know about it and I Will keep you posted... Erik
Hi Eric! Was it the left cylinder that smoked? You probably already know this stuff but please keep an eye on the oil level, so it doesn't get too low. And when you start the cold engine, watch for smoke from the exhaust.

It's click-bait. Take away the fact that his "client" very well could've had a problem, that's neither here nor there. The member started a thread--his very first interaction at all on this forum--with a link to a YouTube video he made about the issue he brought up in the thread. It's a move meant to generate traffic which is kinda sad but tolerable. The part that goes off the rails is his claim that there's a cover-up by BMW to squelch negative reviews and to downplay issues and that proof of this IS the lack of reported problems. Huh? This is simply crap. As far as squelching is concerned, we've all seen all the video reviews. Just off the top of my head, here's some negative impressions I remember: the pegs scrape all the time, the only worthwhile riding mode is 'Rock', the saddle is really uncomfortable, the pipes are ugly, accessories are too expensive, it's monstrously heavy, HP and torque stats are mediocre, there's no fuel gauge, the information in the dash menu is weird, the cylinders are cartoonishly large, and nobody is buying expensive cruisers.

There is no shortage of complaints/issues with our R18 and there is no cover-up.

/the saddle is uncomfortable and I do wish that it had a fuel gauge
//love to take her for a ride now but it's 23 F outside.

Nate
Another one is "there's no cruise control"

Another one is "there's no cruise control"
UNLESS you order one with cruise control. Like mine. And it works great. ;)

Personally, I don't understand the complaints about the weight. Yeah... it's pretty heavy, but the center of gravity is so LOW that the machine feels & handles like a bike that's hundreds of pounds lighter than it actually is. I consider the R18 my "sportbike" because it's so nimble. To those who have issues with it's handling, I suggest that they check the tire pressures and rear shock adjustment. If either are too soft, BOTH can have huge effects on how the bike handles & rides.

A fuel gauge WOULD be nice and with a bike that has no fuel petcock, it's absence is kinda strange. But for us "old guys" who have been riding for more than a couple of decades, it's the way MOST motorcycles used to be. How hard will it be to reset the trip meter at the gas pump in order to "guesstimate" how far it's got to go before it runs out of petrol?
As a former professional technician and motorcycle wrench for over 30 years, I honestly have never ridden or seen a motorcycle that was perfect in every way. The R18 is damned impressive though!

How hard will it be to reset the trip meter at the gas pump in order to "guesstimate" how far it's got to go before it runs out of petrol?
You don’t have to do that. The bike automatically starts with a new Trip odometer when the file light comes on. It displays “R” and is the mileage driven since the tanks hit Reserve.

I definitely have to read through the owner's manual some more. The digital readout/controls are not intuitive to my "old timer's brain".

Hello, Erik from France. Just got My R18 on Saturday. Went for a ride on Sunday. Just had the exact same problem after about 20 miles... Decided to let it run and it completely disappeared after 2 or 3 miles. we've done about 100 miles after this "episode", nothing happened... I will let BMW know about it and I Will keep you posted... Erik
Hi Erik, did you get any feedback? I had what sounds like the same problem yesterday - started her up and light coloured smoke billowed out of the left exhaust with a burnt oil odour. Looked crap. Ran the bike for about 10 minutes and the smoke stopped from the exhaust but seem to retreat to where I could see it coming out of the left cylinder near from the fins near the push rod covers. Then that stopped after about another two minutes or so. Rode around for about 10 miles and never saw it again. Rode fine in all modes without any problem. Started her up today and let her idle on the stand for twenty minutes but no sign of anything. No idea what caused it or how serious it might be. Anyway still have my first service to come soon so they can look at it then. I welcome any comment on those more tech savvy than me!

Hi Erik, did you get any feedback? I had what sounds like the same problem yesterday - started her up and light coloured smoke billowed out of the left exhaust with a burnt oil odour. Looked crap. Ran the bike for about 10 minutes and the smoke stopped from the exhaust but seem to retreat to where I could see it coming out of the left cylinder near from the fins near the push rod covers. Then that stopped after about another two minutes or so. Rode around for about 10 miles and never saw it again. Rode fine in all modes without any problem. Started her up today and let her idle on the stand for twenty minutes but no sign of anything. No idea what caused it or how serious it might be. Anyway still have my first service to come soon so they can look at it then. I welcome any comment on those more tech savvy than me!
I have been riding BMW motorcycles for 49 years and I always put the bikes on the centerstand if leaving it parked for any length of time. If you didn’t oil would seep into the left cylinder and when you started your bike the left tailpipe would smoke for a short while. It was common knowledge and everybody knew about the quirk. I often wondered if BMW purposely outfitted their bikes with inferior sidestands and exceptional centerstands because of this phenomenon Over the years it became less of a concern and less noticeable oddly enough the sidestands never improved.

The R18 has an exceptional sidestand by BMW standards and no centerstand at all, very uncharacteristic for BMW motorcycles. I am not a Mechanical Engineer in fact I am a EE, so I offer no mechanical explanation to support my thery other than 49 years of experience with the brand. In conclusion I wonder if the old quirk for the BMW opposed twin is what you guys are noticing with you R18’s.

To prove my 49 years of experience a picture of me at 15 on my 1973 R75/5 which If left on the side stand for any length of time would smoke from the left tailpipe without exception when first started. Also a picture of me with 64 years of experience riding a motorcycle in the saddlebag of my Dad’s Harley Just for giggles.

BA2D1914-6601-4AFF-B021-3978387236AD.jpeg

9CC67490-D29F-4384-AC68-9E8F91E84A70.jpeg

I have been riding BMW motorcycles for 49 years and I always put the bikes on the centerstand if leaving it parked for any length of time. If you didn’t oil would seep into the left cylinder and when you started your bike the left tailpipe would smoke for a short while. It was common knowledge and everybody knew about the quirk. I often wondered if BMW purposely outfitted their bikes with inferior sidestands and exceptional centerstands because of this phenomenon Over the years it became less of a concern and less noticeable oddly enough the sidestands never improved.

The R18 has an exceptional sidestand by BMW standards and no centerstand at all, very uncharacteristic for BMW motorcycles. I am not a Mechanical Engineer in fact I am a EE, so I offer no mechanical explanation to support my thery other than 49 years of experience with the brand. In conclusion I wonder if the old quirk for the BMW opposed twin is what you guys are noticing with you R18’s.

To prove my 49 years of experience a picture of me at 15 on my 1973 R75/5 which If left on the side stand for any length of time would smoke from the left tailpipe without exception when first started. Also a picture of me with 64 years of experience riding a motorcycle in the saddlebag of my Dad’s Harley Just for giggles.

View attachment 686

View attachment 685
Nice photos! I did wonder if the fact that the bike leans to the left on the side stand was linked as this only seems to happen to the left exhaust. I just need to ride her more often!

The same thing happens to my R1200 C since 15 years when I leave her unridden for more than 2 weeks.
With no harm.
That's part of the engine concept, and the lack of center-stand or garage stand

Last edited:
To R2K, you've been a super lucky teenager , being able to ride a R75 at 15!
I should have killed to do the same ! :ROFLMAO:

Yes, leave my airhead on the side stand and it MIGHT smoke out the left cylinder. Probably when everybody is looking. I learned from my local BMW dealer. Shut the bike off, lean to the right for a few seconds, then park. Its a habit, I do it with my R1200R. It does not smoke at all.

Don't get me going. I was participating in the R1200R forums. I had a 2000 R100RT. My transmission oil had a reddish color to it. A member said I had to tear it down because I was going to have a catastrophic failure. I pulled the tranny. I took it apart. NOTHING WRONG. Back together in another 8 hours. It ran another 36,000 miles after that.

DAVID

Hola chicos, quería publicar algo que se ha ocultado dentro de la comunidad de BMW.

Un cliente mío compró recientemente el Nuevo BMW R-18 2021, Primera Edición. Mi cliente estaba emocionado de finalmente recibir su bicicleta e inmediatamente poner 100 millas en ella. Sin embargo, para nuestra incredulidad, notamos que el tubo de escape izquierdo comenzó a soplar humo azul. Enviamos la moto de vuelta al concesionario BMW en el que la compramos y pidieron a los mecánicos de BMW que evaluaran el motor.

BMW consideró que el motor tenía una falla catastrófica. Después de unas semanas, nos dijeron que BMW solo reemplazaría la culata izquierda. Mi cliente no estaba contento con la noticia, ya que un motor con "falla catastrófica" debería haber sido reemplazado por completo.

Después de investigar un poco, notamos que no se han reportado muchas críticas / problemas sobre estas bicicletas. Parece que BMW está tratando de mantener en silencio a los críticos negativos. Sin embargo, otro problema de fabricación que surgió en la comunidad de motocicletas es que el tornillo de la cabeza de la horquilla no está torcido correctamente. ¡Tengo un enlace a continuación para ustedes, dejen un comentario y hágannos saber sus pensamientos!

Y al final que paso con tu Moto amigo?

The same thing happens to my R1200 C since 15 years when I leave her unridden for more than 2 weeks.
With no harm.
That's part of the engine concept, and the lack of center-stand or garage stand
My 'Chromehead' R1200 C does the same thing ... I found if I let her idle 30 seconds before shutting her down makes it go away ... and I agree, I think it hasto do with the kick stand and that some oil collects in the cylinder when it drools back to to sump and because of the lean angle it doesn't go straight down as intended .. just my observation.

View attachment 686

View attachment 685
From the beginning I've put a block of wood under my sidestand to lessen the lean angle. It sits safely about 5 degrees max from 90 degrees. No smoking issues.

My Bimmers have always been mechanically sound (for 20 years). Sad to hear of a failure.

Back