Output Shaft issue

moleculo

I dropped off my bike for the 600 mile service today. When the service lead walked up to the bike, he immediately said, "somethings not right there" and pointed to the output shaft. Here's what mine looks like:

20220713_091607.jpg

And here's what it's supposed to look like:

20220713_091630.jpg

Mine can also be moved back and forth by hand, which it's not supposed to do. I also told them about my overheat issue (twice) and he said that I am the only person that has reported that issue. He thinks these two issues may be connected in someway. They are going to submit to BMW and see what they say. I'll keep everyone posted...

I dropped off my bike for the 600 mile service today. When the service lead walked up to the bike, he immediately said, "somethings not right there" and pointed to the output shaft. Here's what mine looks like:

View attachment 6067

And here's what it's supposed to look like:

View attachment 6068

Mine can also be moved back and forth by hand, which it's not supposed to do. I also told them about my overheat issue (twice) and he said that I am the only person that has reported that issue. He thinks these two issues may be connected in someway. They are going to submit to BMW and see what they say. I'll keep everyone posted...
Just curious, which model of bike?

Just got a call - the diagnosis isn't as bad as it could have been. There is a nut that holds the assembly together which apparently was not torqued to spec from the factory. It had fallen off, causing the shaft to slip backward and crush a couple of circlips. Replacement parts should be in tomorrow. The overheating is not related but I will put more info in the other thread I started.

Just got a call - the diagnosis isn't as bad as it could have been. There is a nut that holds the assembly together which apparently was not torqued to spec from the factory. It had fallen off, causing the shaft to slip backward and crush a couple of circlips. Replacement parts should be in tomorrow. The overheating is not related but I will put more info in the other thread I started.
Hope everything goes well and you get her back soon!

Looks like you dodged a bullet. I am not a happy camper when weird crap like this happens to my bike.

Back