Overheat

moleculo

I've posted this in another section already, but TC has displayed the temp warning twice. Both times was after an hour riding while in stop and go traffic. The first time the outside temperature was 90+ degrees. The second time was 79 degrees. Both days were bright and sunny.

It goes in for the first service in 2 weeks when I will report this.

I live in Arizona.My R18C w/sidecar, Brentune and DNA have zero Issues,None.
Oh it was 106 today.
My Indian is a much hotter running bike and no issues there either.
The Indian has been dyno tuned.Maybe that is the difference for me.

Both times was after an hour riding while in stop and go traffic.
There is your answer. It’s an air cooled motor. If you are stopped there is no air flowing over the cylinders or the oil cooler to cool the motor. Understandable you may get a high temperature warning light in that situation.

There is your answer. It’s an air cooled motor. If you are stopped there is no air flowing over the cylinders or the oil cooler to cool the motor. Understandable you may get a high temperature warning light in that situation.
Also, in hot countries, Air Cooled Motor Motorcycles is a winter sport

Also, in hot countries, Air Cooled Motor Motorcycles is a winter sport
High ambient temperature can make the onset earlier, but as long as there is airflow they are usually fine. As R18C mentioned, he is in Arizona & had no problems in 106F temps…. while moving. If it’s <60F, you may not have any high temp issue even in stop & go with an air cooled motor.

It got so bad with Harley & Indian that the newest models shut down the rear cylinder when stopped to try to minimize the high temp issue of air cooled motors in stop & go.

Keep in mind that I've owned 3 Harleys in the past, ridden in the same conditions, each for years. Two of them were hot-rodded to the max. I'm not really convinced that the R18 was overheating, but the computer said it was.

When I shut off the HD Roadglide I hear tick tick tick every time. When I shut off the R18TC I occasionally hear the tick. The Harley touring bikes kick out a lot of heat on the right side such you have to wear long pants or get burned ( I know golf shorts are not advised for riding). The R18TC runs much cooler. I have custom floorboards that are 4 inches further forward than stock and still no heat issue on the legs.

I'll post a pic this evening. We are in a heat wave in southern Kansas this week so I'm working from an air conditioned basement.

Here is a pic. I made them. Am working on another set.

Attachments

• 805A9BC3-2A4B-4D25-B977-53C68058343A.jpeg
    805A9BC3-2A4B-4D25-B977-53C68058343A.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 32
  • C5ABB916-2387-4263-B836-F0EF7F104380.jpeg
    C5ABB916-2387-4263-B836-F0EF7F104380.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 32
Update on overheating: bike is at the dealer getting serviced. They said the computer logs everything like a story book so they can see how long I rode for and what the engine temp was when the warning came on: 330 degrees. They said that about 280 degrees is the upper limit of where it should be. They are checking the thermostat in the oil cooler to see if it is working properly, allowing oil to flow as needed. They didn't see any other issues with sensors but everyone seems to agree that this is unusual given the ambient temperature of the last incident.

Unless you really noticed heat was a issue or felt the engine to be overheating,I would question either the sensors or ecm is working correctly.
I have a Powervision for tuning and have been out in these brutal 110+ temps here in Arizona doing some data logging on my Indian 116.
I have never seen a temp over 260 (and I actually let it idle for a time to see if the temp climbed,it did not) on the PV and I mean the engine was really freakin hot.Much hotter than my R18C and I have not had a issue with limp mode or overheating on either bike.
Hope things get sorted and you get a bunch of smiles on the beauty!

I wonder if riding in RAIN mode during hot weather stop and go traffic would allow it to run cooler?
When in ROCK mode, my R18TC is a rocket ship so it must be running hotter, right?

I wonder if riding in RAIN mode during hot weather stop and go traffic would allow it to run cooler?
When in ROCK mode, my R18TC is a rocket ship so it must be running hotter, right?
I don't know.I run mine in Rock all the time.For me,I was never quite sure why the different modes.The thought never crossed my mind to make less power on my bike.I went the other way to like a bit more.Of course,thats me.

Less Power? Why? In all seriousness, Rain mode is very useful if you get caught in it...helps keep things tame. I haven't used it on this one yet, but I did on my K1600.

I don't know.I run mine in Rock all the time.For me,I was never quite sure why the different modes.The thought never crossed my mind to make less power on my bike.I went the other way to like a bit more.Of course,thats me.
It’s not a change in power, rather in how the relationship of rotating the grip is reflected in actual throttle. Think of it like a softening of the sensitivity. There is also some minor tuning tweaks that give Rock a more pronounced shake. I’ve found Rock is my preferred 95% of the time. I use Roll if I get stuck on a highway. Rain could still be helpful in wet conditions. I definitely use that mode on my S1000R in the wet.

Update on overheating: bike is at the dealer getting serviced. They said the computer logs everything like a story book so they can see how long I rode for and what the engine temp was when the warning came on: 330 degrees. They said that about 280 degrees is the upper limit of where it should be. They are checking the thermostat in the oil cooler to see if it is working properly, allowing oil to flow as needed. They didn't see any other issues with sensors but everyone seems to agree that this is unusual given the ambient temperature of the last incident.
Moleculo,

Just to be thorough, have you checked the fins on the oil cooler to ensure there's no debris or blockage? I'm sure you have but I thought I'd ask anyways.

Also, has the dealer put an oil pressure gauge on one of the oil passages to measure flow to determine whether it's in spec or not? I noted your comment about thermostat, but I wonder if they actually hooked up a gauge to read the PSI/bar of the oil pressure. Or, does BMW believe in doing anything non-digital anymore? ;)

From what it sounds like to me (behind my keyboard) is there's a blockage and/or something's preventing sufficient flow of oil circulation throughout the engine. Also, that oil's fried, it loses its effectiveness around 275 degrees Fahrenheit. At 330 degrees, I bet you got a black tar sludge fudgemacallit.

Just a couple thoughts.

Mike

Ok all you R18 owners living in 90+ degree heat States what are your deep down feelings bout the heat these Jugs give off? Come on, you know, those thoughts you have after a short/long ride stuck in traffic or slow moving traffic and you are finally home or in a cool place.

I was riding in 93 degree heat (heat index over 100) today when riding my aprilia mana 850gt home this afternoon from bmw bike shop. Turns out I like that bike more then I remembered when I last road her.

What say you is the 'real deal' on the heat these lovely R18 Jugs giveth when stuck in traffic or slow moving traffic? It is after all an air cooled bike with only an oil cooler to help it. Is it just warm, hot, dam hot, darn I should have ridden bike X today instead hot, I thought I was on my harley my shins were so hot...or other tender areas near and dear to your heart...or other parts of your body hot?

Now be honest, and mostly want comments from others living in them 'hot' summer States. Guess that could be most of the County due to global warming if that is your thing...and not asking if it is when replying if you do reply.

I get the reason, well figure, bmw did what they did and as we all know the Mother ship 'knows' best in their eyes. Having said that, we know this bike was a case of style over function for the base/classic models. No disrespect meant..just my two cents which, with inflation, is not worth much at all now days :)

Ride safe...very very slight chance I will go see a Mars Red one tomorrow. Still have several concerns over heat riding one in florida as well as 3.5" of travel on the base/classic models but it sure is might pretty thing isn't she. If I can get over those two thoughs may consider a .09 finance deal to get one and honestly won't if that was not on the table as it is the only way presently I can get one (though can handle the payments no worries and it is a very cheap way to borrow money when getting a bike now days).

Last edited:
I live in Central Florida and haven’t had an issue yet with heat off the jugs. Occasionally I can feel it getting a little hotter than normal but nothing that makes my legs uncomfortable. Compared to my Scout (which FRIES my right leg at a long light) anything on this bike short of catching fire is fine.

Back