Passenger backrest from Amazon

I was looking for a passenger backrest and was considering getting a Roadstyler but wanted something with a more rounded look for the frame so I opted to order an R18 backrest from Amazon for $120. It's understood the backrest comes without any additional hardware and no installation instructions, I knew that when ordering it.

This will fit an R18 Classic and R18 and is pretty minimalistic with a small passenger pad. The installation required longer bolts to make it through the saddlebag frame and the new backrest support frame and then into the fender. Proper size for me was M8 x 60, the stock bolts are M8 x 45. Install also required many flat washers to take up some space on the rear attachment points. The backrest frame fit mostly good but the rear holes sat at a very slight angle so it wasnt quite flush but the bolts still made it through the holes and everything clamped down nicely. The real issue I had was the backrest pad had both screw holes stripped through and you couldnt tighten the pad to the frame. I ended up taking apart the pad, taking out the foam and then adding a 1inch by 1 inch by 1/4 inch thick reinforcement piece of wood on the back of each hole. Let the wood glue dry and cut the foam so it would fit the new wood squares into it properly. Drilled pilot holes through each hole, re-assembled and now the pad can be secured properly to the backrest frame. Slight gap at the top between the frame and the pad but barely noticeable.

Overall Im happy with it but I also realize the quality control is poor on these and you have to figure out the installation on your own.

Attachments

• 20230429_181031.jpg
    20230429_181031.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230430_130258.jpg
    20230430_130258.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20230430_130321.jpg
    20230430_130321.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 39
I had a similar experience with a luggage rack that I bout through Amazon. It fit, but needed some finishing touches (I hope THIS LINK will get you straight there)... all good it felt a little more DIY that way ;)
Back rest looks good btw.

I was looking for a passenger backrest and was considering getting a Roadstyler but wanted something with a more rounded look for the frame so I opted to order an R18 backrest from Amazon for $120. It's understood the backrest comes without any additional hardware and no installation instructions, I knew that when ordering it.

This will fit an R18 Classic and R18 and is pretty minimalistic with a small passenger pad. The installation required longer bolts to make it through the saddlebag frame and the new backrest support frame and then into the fender. Proper size for me was M8 x 60, the stock bolts are M8 x 45. Install also required many flat washers to take up some space on the rear attachment points. The backrest frame fit mostly good but the rear holes sat at a very slight angle so it wasnt quite flush but the bolts still made it through the holes and everything clamped down nicely. The real issue I had was the backrest pad had both screw holes stripped through and you couldnt tighten the pad to the frame. I ended up taking apart the pad, taking out the foam and then adding a 1inch by 1 inch by 1/4 inch thick reinforcement piece of wood on the back of each hole. Let the wood glue dry and cut the foam so it would fit the new wood squares into it properly. Drilled pilot holes through each hole, re-assembled and now the pad can be secured properly to the backrest frame. Slight gap at the top between the frame and the pad but barely noticeable.

Overall Im happy with it but I also realize the quality control is poor on these and you have to figure out the installation on your own.
Do you have a link or description for that backrest? I'm comfortable with a little work to figure out the mounting.

Do you have a link or description for that backrest? I'm comfortable with a little work to figure out the mounting.
I have one that I had installed for about 4 days that I am willing to part with. I ordered it to use temporarily until my Corbin seat with backrest came in. They told me 6-8 weeks and it ended up taking less than 2 weeks. The only issue mounting it is to make sure you dont scratch the paint on the fender while installing it. I will let this one go for $50 plus shipping if your interested.

I have one that I had installed for about 4 days that I am willing to part with. I ordered it to use temporarily until my Corbin seat with backrest came in. They told me 6-8 weeks and it ended up taking less than 2 weeks. The only issue mounting it is to make sure you dont scratch the paint on the fender while installing it. I will let this one go for $50 plus shipping if your interested.
Can you post a photo and cost to ship to 33770? Also, confirm what brand it is and might it would on an r18fe.
thank you

Back