Pegs Dragging

David R

I am getting used to them dragging. Today wife and I took too new riders out for the day. I took them through a rotary. I went all the way around dragging the drivers peg. Later one said I was dragging something. I said yeah, its part of its personality. She said "It was making sparks" I said yeah, cool isn't it?

I grind mine every now and then. Any idea how close the mufflers and cylinder heads are to the ground with the bike leaning far enough to drag the pegs? Could a person grind down enough of a peg (the feeler) to put other bits in jeopardy? Are we inches away? Centimeters?

Last edited:
The pegs flex, and I can feel it. So its a warning when they touch. I can lean over a little more.

I have not dragged (drug?) anything else.

Looking at my front tire, I use almost all of it to the edge of the tread.

Rear tire has FAT chicken strips.

Stay tuned for pictures.

David

Horses for courses. One needs to adapt your riding style to what you are on. My rides range from a '95 Boss Hoss with an automotive rear tire and probably 10 degrees lean-in tops (predominantly for laying down rubber) to a 2015 Panigale R with Diablo Supercorse SPs and rear-sets (for chasing down Suzondayamasaki Tupperware torpedoes). My first Cruiser was a Victory Hammer, and I only grounded the peg 'feelers' a couple of times before I wised up. I replaced those once only.

The Classic seems to carry its mufflers higher than the regular R18 does, the latter beauties at $1600 apiece. I will leave any experimentation for others to report back on (-:

meet-the-r-18-classic-bmws-latest-touring-oriented-cruiser-150574_1.jpg
040320-2021-BMW_R18_A_005.jpg
(photos courtesy BMW)

Missses R asked for floor boards, like on the gold wing. I saw these here and bought 2 sets because I wanted to try them too.
They are comfortable for me and I can move my feet around more. I moved the shift up one notch and took most all of the free play out of the brake pedal.

These are comfortable. I have only touched them down a couple times, only a little.

Chicken strips are a little narrower than the second picture in post #4 of the rear tire. Look at the nubs...
The first picture in post #4 is the front tire with the Michelin man.
David

There is at least one benefit to the peg placement. I hate to discuss this in polite company but I dropped the bike (first time ever dropping a bike in decades of riding) a week ago. It was sort of a perfect storm....steep downhill grade at a stop, turning right, onto a steeper downhill grade (so it was front to back downhill and left to right downhill) on the backside of a blind curve on the road that I was turning on. And as fate would have it, some car came careening around the corner just as I was beginning the turn. Hard stop with front and back brakes on my part while starting the turn, and ...oh well.... "down goes frasier".

Sounds disastrous given no crash bars. Not so. It came to rest on the peg and the head...but on the Roland Sands cover thingy which held up pretty good.

I took this picture just an hour later after I went on my way. If you click and zoom, you can see the damage, but it's pretty minimal. The pipes, brake lever and handlebar were untouched. All in all, I wouldn't recommend dropping the bike, but it was far better than I would have expected...to the point where I'm not doing anything about the damage.

L1000565.jpg

I had even less harm when I did the same.
No need to replace the cover, it hardly shows.
I'll mount engine guards next week, just in case...

Oh don't worry, I tipped mine over too. It was on a dirt road, we were just crawling and it was a hole with soft dirt and the front tire went right in it.

Landed on the right valve cover and muffler. Small scratches. Battle scars, just the first one. They do not show at all,

Nobody hurt, picked it up and turned around using reverse. Drove away.

David

I couldn't do it by myself.
My right arm hasn't completely healed from the surgery I had last fall.
But with the help of two other bikers we did it easily.... :LOL:

Back