Phone performance for navigation

Iphone - having to leave screen on is a pain - it does drop nav/media playing frequently when answering a phone call. Not a great system despite having a great screen.
I'm buying an Android phone since they are a lot cheaper and I don't need anything fancy for navigation and music anyway. And for some reason iphones seem to be more problematic with the connected app - at least that's my impression from threads on this forum.

I have been in contact with Connected app support team and there is an issue with other BT connection and wifi disconnection, mainly if your iphone is connected to an apple watch. I have switched off my apple watch and all worked as it should. Played all the media from apple music (playlists, radio streaming) on a 100 miles trip and navigation didn’t drop. I had firware updated in March when I bought the bike.
The thech guru from the app couldn’t give any thechnical details to support this nor couldn’t confirm if it will be corrected in future updates.
Hope this helps

I got tired of the garbage navigation system on board, so I bought a Garmin Zumo and a handlebar mount, plugged it into the DIN outlet. There's not much room on the bar, so you have to fiddle with it to get it to where you can see the GPS and it NOT block the gauges.
Hello, A new R18 rider and planning on getting the Garmin Zumo too. I tried quadlock and an Iphone. However I struggled with face id with helmets and frequent screen locks. I am aware I can remove these settings and manage just with phone. Anyways coming back to Zumo, would you mind sharing a picture of your set-up? where did you mount it? The is barely room at the centre with cables running through the handle bar.

When you say DIN outlet for power, did you mean accessory socket on your left above the gear lever?

Thanks.

Hello, A new R18 rider and planning on getting the Garmin Zumo too. I tried quadlock and an Iphone. However I struggled with face id with helmets and frequent screen locks. I am aware I can remove these settings and manage just with phone. Anyways coming back to Zumo, would you mind sharing a picture of your set-up? where did you mount it? The is barely room at the centre with cables running through the handle bar.

When you say DIN outlet for power, did you mean accessory socket on your left above the gear lever?

Thanks.
I use the Zumo on my GS. It’s the best solution if you are doing dirt trails and need to see your path. But for road use, I like the Beeline. It takes up no space on my handlebar, doesn’t distract from riding and there is a new version with some map features they just announced. I’ve already got the new one on order.

Attached is a shot of my current Beeline Moto mounted on the R18 and the Zumo mounted on my GS on a BDR last year.

Attachments

• IMG_1771.jpeg
    IMG_1771.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1267.jpeg
    IMG_1267.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
I use the Zumo on my GS. It’s the best solution if you are doing dirt trails and need to see your path. But for road use, I like the Beeline. It takes up no space on my handlebar, doesn’t distract from riding and there is a new version with some map features they just announced. I’ve already got the new one on order.

Attached is a shot of my current Beeline Moto mounted on the R18 and the Zumo mounted on my GS on a BDR last year.
Thanks for the pictures. I was trying to see Zumo on R18 as I couldn't visualise it. As mentioned earlier, the room on the handle bar seems limited, especially the centre.

I am in Australia and the earliest I can get the new Beeline Moto 2 seems to be end of June. I also still prefer full map and searching or inputs on the device, than having to do it on a phone and then that displays on Beeline (from what I understand). I am sure I will get used to Beeline if got around to using it. I can adapt to tech. It is the comfort factor too probably.

Thanks for the pictures. I was trying to see Zumo on R18 as I couldn't visualise it. As mentioned earlier, the room on the handle bar seems limited, especially the centre.

I am in Australia and the earliest I can get the new Beeline Moto 2 seems to be end of June. I also still prefer full map and searching or inputs on the device, than having to do it on a phone and then that displays on Beeline (from what I understand). I am sure I will get used to Beeline if got around to using it. I can adapt to tech. It is the comfort factor too probably.
The Moto 2 is shipping in June, so that’s same timeframe when I’ll have it. It’s definitely a trade-off. The Zumo is a wonderful device and offers a ton of capabilities right on the device. But, between the mount and the device, it’s a lot of real estate on any bike. I’ve had Zumos for >15 years, but the size was such that I never considered adding it to my R18. The Beeline looks good on any bike and doesn’t take up a ton of space. How you use a GPS also can be a factor. I tend to have a few scenarios of how I use them:

I have a destination, but no route planned on how to get there
I’ve pre-planned my route to a destination
I’m exploring an area and may need to locate food or fuel at any time
I’m riding off road and need to see any trails, roads and contour lines.

The first two work very well on the Beeline. I use the compass mode on mine (picture on R18 shows that). I point toward my goal and find roads that roughly align with the direction I need. I’ve found some wonderful new roads this way. I can also have the Beeline give turn by turn directions to get to my destination. You can import a GPX you’ve planned in advance or plan it either on your phone or tablet and save to the app.

The last two are where the Zumo has an advantage. I’m not taking my R18 off-road so, it is really only the ability to quickly find food or fuel on the unit. TBH, I’ve usually pulled over to figure that out & can search on my phone and then navigate it with the Beeline. While you can try to search on the Zumo while riding, this can be a distraction. Once I’ve pulled over, it makes no difference to me if I search on the Zumo or my phone, if anything the phone can be a better experience. I have 5 bikes & each of them has a Beeline mount, but only 2 have a Zumo mount. Even the ones with a Zumo mount, I’m using the Beeline probably 95% of the time I use a GPS on pavement.

The more I learn about the connected app navigation the more I love it. It is important that you use the USB-C connection to power your phone while it is in the cradle, because your phone has to stay open for the app to work correctly. There is also a fan provided on the cradle to keep your phone from overheating. I have ridden over 150+ miles without interruption in my connection, I don't get any calls so maybe one reason I have no issues. The information the app gives you on your ride is the best feature.

The Moto 2 is shipping in June, so that’s same timeframe when I’ll have it. It’s definitely a trade-off. The Zumo is a wonderful device and offers a ton of capabilities right on the device. But, between the mount and the device, it’s a lot of real estate on any bike. I’ve had Zumos for >15 years, but the size was such that I never considered adding it to my R18. The Beeline looks good on any bike and doesn’t take up a ton of space. How you use a GPS also can be a factor. I tend to have a few scenarios of how I use them:

I have a destination, but no route planned on how to get there
I’ve pre-planned my route to a destination
I’m exploring an area and may need to locate food or fuel at any time
I’m riding off road and need to see any trails, roads and contour lines.

The first two work very well on the Beeline. I use the compass mode on mine (picture on R18 shows that). I point toward my goal and find roads that roughly align with the direction I need. I’ve found some wonderful new roads this way. I can also have the Beeline give turn by turn directions to get to my destination. You can import a GPX you’ve planned in advance or plan it either on your phone or tablet and save to the app.

The last two are where the Zumo has an advantage. I’m not taking my R18 off-road so, it is really only the ability to quickly find food or fuel on the unit. TBH, I’ve usually pulled over to figure that out & can search on my phone and then navigate it with the Beeline. While you can try to search on the Zumo while riding, this can be a distraction. Once I’ve pulled over, it makes no difference to me if I search on the Zumo or my phone, if anything the phone can be a better experience. I have 5 bikes & each of them has a Beeline mount, but only 2 have a Zumo mount. Even the ones with a Zumo mount, I’m using the Beeline probably 95% of the time I use a GPS on pavement.
Thanks again for your detailed reply. You have me kind of sold on Beeline. It is cheaper than Garmin too. The Garmin does look bulky and making it theft-proof (say with Touratech cradle) makes it even bulkier. The reference images from a German website for the mount for R18 was what made me bit excited about the whole look. It is in the line of sight and not very unsightly since it is mounted at the centre. Anywhere else on R18 classic bar it will look like something sticking out.

Definitely don't intend to operate while riding, but an occasional zoom in or out on the map to look at options and traffic data, etc. is much easier with a GPS screen in front of you. If I were to search for something, I would pull over and do it anyways which as you say, is no different to doing it on a phone and linking it to Beeline moto.

Attachments

• bmw_r18_navigationshalter_navihalter_xt_zumo_garmin-Copy.jpg
    bmw_r18_navigationshalter_navihalter_xt_zumo_garmin-Copy.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 3
  • bmw_r18_navigationshalter_navihalter_zumo_garmin_xt-Copy.jpg
    bmw_r18_navigationshalter_navihalter_zumo_garmin_xt-Copy.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 3
  • bmw_r18_navihalter_navigationshalter_xt_garmin_zumo-Copy.jpg
    bmw_r18_navihalter_navigationshalter_xt_garmin_zumo-Copy.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 2
  • bmw_r18_navihalter_navigationshalter_zumo_xt_garmin-Copy.jpg
    bmw_r18_navihalter_navigationshalter_zumo_xt_garmin-Copy.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 3
Motorola Edge Plus 2022 fits and interfaces with the Motorrad Connected app very smoothly.

Only issue I have is the same issue I have with the entire system...it's hard to make any route adjustments while riding on the bike. Simply stopping route guidance is a multi-roll/click event. The BMW interface and wonder wheel are simply terrible.

Back