Picked up my new "business tool" yesterday

Well, I suppose you could call this a modification.

R18 First Edition with the LBS "Boxer" sidecar. LBS Leading Link front suspension. Hepco & Becker bags. Now, if I could just get BMW (or a good quality aftermarket company) to release the other accessories I want......

Attachments

• 20210524_r18_boxer_delivery_03.jpg
    20210524_r18_boxer_delivery_03.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 20210524_r18_boxer_delivery_04.jpg
    20210524_r18_boxer_delivery_04.jpg
    471.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 20210524_r18_boxer_delivery_07.jpg
    20210524_r18_boxer_delivery_07.jpg
    564 KB · Views: 95
  • 20210524_r18_boxer_delivery_09.jpg
    20210524_r18_boxer_delivery_09.jpg
    567.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 20210525_123806.jpg
    20210525_123806.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 96
Just a fantastic machine !
With that I 'll have no problem to take my wife on long (very) trips ! :giggle:
Could you explain to a side cars neophyte the reason why you had to change the fork ?
Where do the bags are coming from? They are big and lockable, I like them.

Last edited:
Just a fantastic machine !
With that I 'll have no problem to take my wife on long (very) trips ! :giggle:
Could you explain to a side cars neophyte the reason why you had to change the fork ?
Where do the bags are coming from? They are big and lockable, I like them.
The bags are from Hepco & Becker, and they are removable. Got them through Moto Machines in VA. H&B makes a great bracket they call a "C-Bow" that is custom for the R18 and it locks the bags on the bike.

Okay, a VERY basic reason for the shift to a Leading Link front end: Trail (in case you aren't aware) is the distance between a line drawn straight down the forks to the ground, and where the front tire's contact patch is. A 2W motorcycle needs some trail in order to self-balance and stabilize. However, enough trail to make a 2W motorcycle stable, makes steering a 3W motorcycle difficult. (Think: steering a Mack truck with no power steering.) The fix for this situation is to reduce the trail. That can be accomplished by re-drilling the triple trees, or installing a trail reducing bracket to the bottom of the forks (like DMC Sidecars' "Leading Legs"), or going all out and changing the front suspension to a Leading Link. The advantages of the LL front end are that if it is designed and manufactured well, the trail is adjustable to fine tune the driving experience, and in most cases you don't experience a "nose dive" under hard braking, but rather the front end actually lifts up under hard braking. And, the LL front suspension (again, if designed well) can be adjusted to return the bike to 2W use. The other "solutions" to reduce trail make the bike nearly impossible to ride as a solo (2W) motorcycle. They're a rather permanent fix.

Last edited:
Well, I suppose you could call this a modification.

R18 First Edition with the LBS "Boxer" sidecar. LBS Leading Link front suspension. Hepco & Becker bags. Now, if I could just get BMW (or a good quality aftermarket company) to release the other accessories I want......
What may I ask is the LL worth ? I’d like to put one on my bike.

What may I ask is the LL worth ? I’d like to put one on my bike.
Shoot me your email address to: dwendell at wavecable dot com and I'll send you a copy of that part of the invoice. The LL was broken up into different charges, i.e. LL kit, front fender for use with LL, new steel braided brake lines, shocks, etc. There were also design costs (that I wouldn't think you'd have to pay) since an LL front end had never been done for an R18 prior to mine. I could quote you what the total was, but you might want different shocks, brake lines, etc.

Shoot me your email address to: dwendell at wavecable dot com and I'll send you a copy of that part of the invoice. The LL was broken up into different charges, i.e. LL kit, front fender for use with LL, new steel braided brake lines, shocks, etc. There were also design costs (that I wouldn't think you'd have to pay) since an LL front end had never been done for an R18 prior to mine. I could quote you what the total was, but you might want different shocks, brake lines, etc.
Whoa… Holy Grail activity alert.

I filled out the contact page on the LBS website, but it has been a couple of weeks and I have not heard from them. How were they to work with? I am considering an R18 sidecar rig I have two R69/2 conversions with sidecars and am thinking about something more modern for world touring. How has you experience with you new rig been? Thanks! Bruce

Back