POLL: OVERHEATING

Anyone having overheating or is your bike going into limp mode do to excessive heat?

• Total voters
This should be interestting...well...based on how many vote. Wonder if it matters what model one gets, maybe not though figure the bagger/tc trims might make the engine work harder. Thanks for posting the Poll

This should be interestting...well...based on how many vote. Wonder if it matters what model one gets, maybe not though figure the bagger/tc trims might make the engine work harder. Thanks for posting the Poll
Yeah,I agree.
I would like to be able to get and see the real tempeture of the engine that are registering a overheat issue.I have a Powervision Tuner on my Indian and I have checked it when it was real freakin hot.Never got over 260.If I remember it was like 252 degrees(and I let it idle for awhile to test) and like I said it was cookin hot.
My R18C does not even come close to producing the heat my Indian does with a cat free Rinehart ceramic coated headpipe.

Another note to add.I really have never had a bike overheat in .I am conscience that riding a air cooled HD or air/oil cooled bike needs to have some air passing.

Nor have I until one time stuck on interstate 95 for an extended period of time, on an 05 boxer r1200rt :( fried the lcd speedo display that time...the heat I figure just burned the lcd into the dispaly and it got dark. Once cooled it was ok but will later get dark anew. Thank goodness the 05 model allows one to switch out the speedo with a beemer boneyard used one tthey had. Later models won't allow that. Yes, that heat event surprised me for certain.

On any bike, one would think, it is just a matter of physics...that counts me out for sure. Engine size produces so much heat as it starts, runs, then stays running. No air flow, outside air temp and humidity plus internal engine oil (factory spec) along with oil cooler (and/or water) I am certain allows the bike makerrs to know if/when their bikes will overheat....thus the warning lights. Sort of like the hd feature of roasted chestnuts just without the open fire.

Last edited:
I install oil cooler fans on all my air-cooled V-twins and will do same on the R18. Air-cooled engines live a tough life and I guess the EURO-5 R18 even more so. https://www.amazon.com/Trail-Tech-732-FNA1-Temperature-Switching/dp/B019HS6UI6. There is ample space behind the oil cooler and I am mounting the small display/control unit on the oil cooler cover - cut-out over the slits on top at one end. The one on my Chief Vintage seldom comes on, but those on my Victories frequently run, especially when puttering around town. I wire them directly to the battery, so that they keep on running with ignition off.

Yeah,I agree.
I would like to be able to get and see the real tempeture of the engine that are registering a overheat issue.I have a Powervision Tuner on my Indian and I have checked it when it was real freakin hot.Never got over 260.If I remember it was like 252 degrees(and I let it idle for awhile to test) and like I said it was cookin hot.
My R18C does not even come close to producing the heat my Indian does with a cat free Rinehart ceramic coated headpipe.

Another note to add.I really have never had a bike overheat in .I am conscience that riding a air cooled HD or air/oil cooled bike needs to have some air passing.
My Indian actually runs cooler since I de-cored the stock head-pipe. I cut it open myself, gutted it, rewelded and got it ceramic coated: Thermal Barrier Coating (TLHB) internally and Cermakrome(R) Metallic Ceramic Coating (MCX) externally. MCX resembles polished aluminum. TLHB is an excellent thermal barrier and when combined with MCX can reduce radiated heat by around fifty percent! I also put Thermo-Tec(R) thermal barrier (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TXQOSK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details) inside of the chrome header heatshields before reinstalling them - like you can get for the Scouts. I run a Lloydz(R) air cleaner, Indian(R) Stage 1 fishtails, Indian(R) Stage 2 cams and a DynoJet(R) PVC tune for that setup - nice lope and simply endless low-end torque. I ran V&H slip-ons for a while, but their throats are too wide open, especially downstream of the gutted cat. The Polaris(R) Thunderstroke 111 Mill clearly does better with a tad of backpressure. So too their Freedom 106 motors on the Victories - Lloydz(R) strongly recommends not de-catting them even when sporting Lloydz(R)' own cams.

My Indian actually runs cooler since I de-cored the stock head-pipe. I cut it open myself, gutted it, rewelded and got it ceramic coated: Thermal Barrier Coating (TLHB) internally and Cermakrome(R) Metallic Ceramic Coating (MCX) externally. MCX resembles polished aluminum. TLHB is an excellent thermal barrier and when combined with MCX can reduce radiated heat by around fifty percent! I also put Thermo-Tec(R) thermal barrier (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TXQOSK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details) inside of the chrome header heatshields before reinstalling them - like you can get for the Scouts. I run a Lloydz(R) air cleaner, Indian(R) Stage 1 fishtails, Indian(R) Stage 2 cams and a DynoJet(R) PVC tune for that setup - nice lope and simply endless low-end torque. I ran V&H slip-ons for a while, but their throats are too wide open, especially downstream of the gutted cat. The Polaris(R) Thunderstroke 111 Mill clearly does better with a tad of backpressure. So too their Freedom 106 motors on the Victories - Lloydz(R) strongly recommends not de-catting them even when sporting Lloydz(R)' own cams.
Oh,my Indian does not overheat.Like I said,I have a Rinehart Ceramic Coated header and she is tuned.The heat I am refering to is the radiated heat from the engine cylinders.
I am saying the the engine blows off a bunch of heat hence hot as hell if you are sitting still.What is noticed is the BMW does not blow off heat the same way and is cooler for the rider because the heat coming off is directed differently since heat rises.
Indian:under and behind the right leg.
R18: 50-50 heat on either side and in front of the knees.

I install oil cooler fans on all my air-cooled V-twins and will do same on the R18. Air-cooled engines live a tough life and I guess the EURO-5 R18 even more so. https://www.amazon.com/Trail-Tech-732-FNA1-Temperature-Switching/dp/B019HS6UI6. There is ample space behind the oil cooler and I am mounting the small display/control unit on the oil cooler cover - cut-out over the slits on top at one end. The one on my Chief Vintage seldom comes on, but those on my Victories frequently run, especially when puttering around town. I wire them directly to the battery, so that they keep on running with ignition off.
Different expierence for me and just my point of view.
I tried a fan that is designed for my HD.
When the bike was sitting still,it worked okay.
When going down the road it ran hotter because the fan & frame of the unit blocked the oil cooler air flow.
Using a lazer temp gun and oil pressure dropping did prove to the company there was a issue and they refunded my money.
btw,this was their 1st run and may have changed then.
The fan would have to spin pretty fast to to out flow a speed of 60-75mph.

Last thing,MotoGuzzi California had a fan on the oil cooler.Guzzi quit making the California.

Different expierence for me and just my point of view.
I tried a fan that is designed for my HD.
When the bike was sitting still,it worked okay.
When going down the road it ran hotter because the fan & frame of the unit blocked the oil cooler air flow.
Using a lazer temp gun and oil pressure dropping did prove to the company there was a issue and they refunded my money.
btw,this was their 1st run and may have changed then.
The fan would have to spin pretty fast to to out flow a speed of 60-75mph.

Last thing,MotoGuzzi California had a fan on the oil cooler.Guzzi quit making the California.
Whatever helps us sleep at night. The R18 will be my eighth ride to receive a Trail-Tec(R) kit, and it uses a shroud-less best-in-class Spahl(R) fan. It is exactly for puttering around town and being stuck in traffic. The fan won't be running at 60-75 mph - it has a sensor mounted on the oil cooler (?).

Even some Oil Coolers sold for HD mount in dubious locations. But that does not make them all bad. And the 2022 California Touring E4 still sells in South Africa, with oil cooler fan et al. So perhaps your EPA is to blame for that.

There are inmates here, swapping out their afterthought-worthy, but still efficient, stock oil coolers with pricey aluminum slabs - knowingly allowing form to trump function.

Last edited:
Oh,my Indian does not overheat.Like I said,I have a Rinehart Ceramic Coated header and she is tuned.The heat I am refering to is the radiated heat from the engine cylinders.
I am saying the the engine blows off a bunch of heat hence hot as hell if you are sitting still.What is noticed is the BMW does not blow off heat the same way and is cooler for the rider because the heat coming off is directed differently since heat rises.
Indian:under and behind the right leg.
R18: 50-50 heat on either side and in front of the knees.
I do not think I implied that your Indian overheats, and one would not degut headers to try and cure that anyway.

Mine runs much cooler behind the Clearview(R) windscreen since I degutted and TLHB/MCX-coated the stock item. Perhaps the Rinehart(R) header's ceramic coating is more aesthetically biased than chosen to be thermally effective. But it should nevertheless have improved by virtue of the very hot catalytic conversion process having been eliminated from virtually right under your b4llbag (-:

Not going to answer this poll because I live in Northern New Hampshire. If there's one car in front of me at a stop light, I complain about the traffic. I'm pretty sure I'll never have an issue with overheating unless I move to Texas.

Not going to answer this poll because I live in Northern New Hampshire. If there's one car in front of me at a stop light, I complain about the traffic. I'm pretty sure I'll never have an issue with overheating unless I move to Texas.
I blast by cars all the time. I cannot stand cars in front of me. I spend most of my time on rural roads.

I blast by cars all the time. I cannot stand cars in front of me. I spend most of my time on rural roads.
Same here. We can lane-split in South Africa. Its been like that forever, so motorists even give way when they see you coming. But the R18 motor is as wide as other big rigs fitted with highway bars, so I often need to crawl along pedestrianly with traffic, at least for short stretches. My EBR 1190SX (American Ducati Streetfighter) is probably the narrowest of the herd - I can virtually squeeze through anywhere on that.

Just ran my Indian in the garage after a 45 minute to the post office to see if it would take a fit.

270 degrees no codes or limp noted.

Back