Puig or Madstad screen?

motoring

Anyone get the Puig Touring screen and if so are you happy? DId you need to add lowers (Memphis)? Anyone got the Madstad screen (with or without lowers)? Figure I will ride the new R18 without a screen for the initial 4 hour trip back from IL to IN. Once back in Florida can go to the Madstad shop...though at a bit under $600 for screen and lowers that is a chuck of $. Such is life on a bmw or harley I figure.

Anyone get the Puig Touring screen and if so are you happy? DId you need to add lowers (Memphis)? Anyone got the Madstad screen (with or without lowers)? Figure I will ride the new R18 without a screen for the initial 4 hour trip back from IL to IN. Once back in Florida can go to the Madstad shop...though at a bit under $600 for screen and lowers that is a chuck of $. Such is life on a bmw or harley I figure.
I have both items from Madstad. My bike was the donor for the project. I am very happy with the results. I will say that, the deflectors make a huge difference.

View attachment 6490
I have the Puig Touring and the Memphis lowers, makes it a very quiet comfortable ride.
Interesting, what did that combo cost please? I notice on the Madstad screen the lowers they make overlap the windscreen just a tad though positioned a drop behind the windscreen. Your setup looks like a drop of breeze is allowed to travel to the rider between the lowers and the screen is that correct?

I have both items from Madstad. My bike was the donor for the project. I am very happy with the results. I will say that, the deflectors make a huge difference.
So do you find a bit of air flow is directed up from the lowers into the area behind the windscreen? In effect extending the still air pocket behind the windscreen so you helmet does not get any wind buffing?

Interesting, what did that combo cost please? I notice on the Madstad screen the lowers they make overlap the windscreen just a tad though positioned a drop behind the windscreen. Your setup looks like a drop of breeze is allowed to travel to the rider between the lowers and the screen is that correct?
I honestly don’t remember the cost, I will have to get into my bike folder to get that for you. There is some open space between the lowers and the windshield but I really don’t notice the air coming in.

The thing that Madstad did so well in the old days, maybe today as well on some bikes was use a double screen. The main large one with a smaller one beyond it to push up air behind the larger screen thus extending the still are pocket so no helmet buffing. At least that is what I recall.

So do you find a bit of air flow is directed up from the lowers into the area behind the windscreen? In effect extending the still air pocket behind the windscreen so you helmet does not get any wind buffing?
Air does come up between the windshield and the lowers. I do not notice much helmet buffeting. But it isn't, like no air getting to the rider, there is...it just isn't turbulent air.

I really don’t know, all I can tell you is between the two I have a quiet comfortable air pocket when riding. No buffering no back pressure. I listen to music on my Sena Bluetooth headset and before this combination I maxed out the volume at speed and now I have quality music with 3/4 volume, so I know it’s quieter. The lowers took away the buffering and back pressure and windshield moves the air up over my head and face.

I really don’t know, all I can tell you is between the two I have a quiet comfortable air pocket when riding. No buffering no back pressure. I listen to music on my Sena Bluetooth headset and before this combination I maxed out the volume at speed and now I have quality music with 3/4 volume, so I know it’s quieter. The lowers took away the buffering and back pressure and windshield moves the air up over my head and face.
Great to hear, perfect it ‘sounds‘ (music playing in my head) to me. Here is my 2012 nc700x that came with a mini windscreen. I took it to Madstad back in the day when they would do installs and it came out great. No helmet buffing at all.

Attachments

• 26E4D02D-A090-4A2D-BC97-14B26F15170A.jpeg
    26E4D02D-A090-4A2D-BC97-14B26F15170A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
I honestly don’t remember the cost, I will have to get into my bike folder to get that for you. There is some open space between the lowers and the windshield but I really don’t notice the air coming in.
Better picture of the gap between the Puig and Memphis lowers
43CDE757-735E-4199-9E3B-289F445DCEE9.jpeg

What model of Memphis lower do you have? Is it made for R 18 or another bike and it fits well R 18?
Memphis Shades sku is MEM5804 for the deflector and MEK1980 for the mount. It is made for another bike and the fit is perfect.

E0942175-964C-48F1-B69B-D9BADEF8B5F5.jpeg

Back