Pulling the trigger !!!

CaptJim

Site Supporter
I think I may pull the trigger on a '22 MM R18TC as early as tomorrow if we can work the numbers...

In all honesty, not my kind of bike but I wanted to try something new after 5 GSA and 4 Goldwings and 2 K1600 and 4 RT models...

Let's see what kind of pleasure this beast will offer?

I think I may pull the trigger on a '22 MM R18TC as early as tomorrow if we can work the numbers...

In all honesty, not my kind of bike but I wanted to try something new after 5 GSA and 4 Goldwings and 2 K1600 and 4 RT models...

Take her out for an extended test ride first and be sure you can fall in love with the bike first. I'm obviously very biased, but I also hate seeing people buy something, only for "irreconcilable differences" to appear. If you do choose to watch YouTube review videos, keep in mind that this is only BMW's second foray into the cruiser market, thusly reviewers almost reflexively s*it talk the R18 over HD and Indian cruisers because it's so different for them.

We fear change.gif
Motorcycle review articles/videos trashing the R18 in a nutshell... ;)

Alcina (my R18 TC), is, IMHO, one of BMW's most gorgeous motorcycle's they've ever built (I can say that about the ENTIRE R18 line), but, as a TC, she has all the bells and whistles suitable for a...transcontinental trip (I think you'll enjoy the adaptive cruise control).

All said, you do you. I'm HEAVILY biased, but I do encourage you to do another ride before you talk any numbers, just to see if you truly want to jump in.

Hopefully you do bite the bullet. But, if you don't, then no worries either! Rather you make up your mind now than regret your decision post-purchase.

Mike

I am familiar with the ACC from my 2022 R1250RT and I loved it on that bike and I am sure feeling will be the same.

It wasn't an extended one but I took a test ride on this specific bike 2 days ago. I know it may take a few days or rides to get fully used to few quirks but like I mentioned before I am craving to try a new bike that I'm not experienced before. After so many GSA, RT, Goldwing models I wanted to give a try to anew experience for me. I began to look first KTM models and then went back and forth GSA and Goldwing again... But none of them were exciting to me as they used to make me feel in the past...

I knew I am ready for a new bike and a new challenge. I understand and appreciate your concern but again as I mentioned before I change 1 to 2 bikes a yr average. Worst case scenario I'll sell this one in a yr or so. Since last 20 yrs I never held a bike more than 12-13 months. Some as little as 4 months (2021 Goldwing Tour DCT)...

I love the look and the luxury feel of the TC... I am excited to hear my favorite music from the Marshall speakers.

Also I am not a performance rider. Even though I do not ride like a three legged donkey, I also don't ride like I am in a race too... I love a nice paced relaxed ride where I can enjoy the scenery and feel of the comforting feel I get from floating-like cruise on a nice big bikes.

Most of my riding buddies on a Street Glide or Road Glide or Goldwings, so they need to have a really cool bike in the group too and hopefully that will be my TC...
But like you said, if it doesn't happen, so be it...
But still, fingers crossed!!!

My recently purchased R18B is quite different than any other BMW I've owned from k75s through the five GS models with GTs in between. Even owned a chrome head. My first ride was rush hour St Louis traffic to Indiana. I'm NOT gonna need a new windshield OR seat like every other BMW I've owned. You'll love it!

My recently purchased R18B is quite different than any other BMW I've owned from k75s through the five GS models with GTs in between. Even owned a chrome head. My first ride was rush hour St Louis traffic to Indiana. I'm NOT gonna need a new windshield OR seat like every other BMW I've owned. You'll love it!
I am with you on the seat ! ... this said the windshield was a bit short for me ;) .. and congrats and enjoy!

Same here, got into an R 18 Classic and loving the change of stride.
Previously had: few dirt bikes, then 3 H-Ds (Sportster, Deuce, Street Glide) then 3 R1200 GS (2013 basic model, 2016 low model, then another R 1200 GS Rallye low when moved to USA)

DONE !!!

Of course I chose the long way round to home and visiting a friend along the route. So staying at a hotel tonight before tomorrow hitting the coastal CA route towards mi casa! 😁

Bike runs great. I am 50% used to heel toe shifter after 140 mile ride. I am sure it will be ok in a week or so.

Attachments

• 6000000001.jpeg
    6000000001.jpeg
    891.9 KB · Views: 22
Congratulations my good man. I rode (2.5hr ride) home on my new bagger yesterday and was pleased as punch. Rock mode was awesome and sounded far better stock than I appreciated it would. Adaptive cruise is a game changer and very effective. Build quality, even coming from a 2022 Goldwing, was far far superior. Very much pleased with the purchase. Enjoy yours62F3276E-C20C-4462-8E62-229928871B62.png

Congrats... one can move the heel and toe shifter around a bit.... and get quality extenders from wunderlich.... I run with the toe shifter now as the heel shifter (and upside down!) and the heal shifter now the toe shifter with a wunderlich extender on it.

20230620_114727.jpg

Nice choice! Glad you enjoyed the ride! There is some great riding on the West Coast. I spent a few decades riding all over there. Do you mind if I ask what dealership you used?
BTW, if that shiny plastic on the tank bothers you when the sun reflects off of it, you can cover it with some vinyl wrap. I'm not a fan of chrome anyway so I try to minimize it.

Attachments

• 20230107_121633.jpg
    20230107_121633.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 20230107_121609.jpg
    20230107_121609.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Nice choice! Glad you enjoyed the ride! There is some great riding on the West Coast. I spent a few decades riding all over there. Do you mind if I ask what dealership you used?
BTW, if that shiny plastic on the tank bothers you when the sun reflects off of it, you can cover it with some vinyl wrap. I'm not a fan of chrome anyway so I try to minimize it.
Nice job! Not yet too bothered about the gas tank chrome, but less of a fan of the chrome indicators (blinkers). Would be interested to hear of anyone that has replaced those for smaller units? Also would like to dechrome the rear lights and license plate holder - again interested if anyone has done this or replaced those units? Thanks

If you enlarge my picture you’ll see the dealership name on the door. Haha… It was Ventura County BMW motorcycles.

Thanks. Wondered if it might have been one I know. Haven't used Ventura County but any BMW dealership I've been to has been great (I just wish there where more of them, kinda like the almost omnipresence of HD dealers). I've used San Jose BMW & the old Santa Cruz BMW, plus Ted's Beemershop in Scotts Valley & Ben's Motorcycle Works in Watsonville, plus a few others as needed... all great shops.

Nice job! Not yet too bothered about the gas tank chrome, but less of a fan of the chrome indicators (blinkers). Would be interested to hear of anyone that has replaced those for smaller units? Also would like to dechrome the rear lights and license plate holder - again interested if anyone has done this or replaced those units? Thanks
Someone on here did some turn signal mods. I don't know if anyone has done the rear lights or license plate holder. If you haven't already, search the forum.

DONE !!!

Of course I chose the long way round to home and visiting a friend along the route. So staying at a hotel tonight before tomorrow hitting the coastal CA route towards mi casa! 😁

Bike runs great. I am 50% used to heel toe shifter after 140 mile ride. I am sure it will be ok in a week or so.
Congrats Jim, and welcome to the club!

If she's a virgin, make sure you ride her nice and slow for the first 600 miles for break-in. I'm sure the dealer told you that already.

Mike

Thanks. Wondered if it might have been one I know. Haven't used Ventura County but any BMW dealership I've been to has been great (I just wish there where more of them, kinda like the almost omnipresence of HD dealers). I've used San Jose BMW & the old Santa Cruz BMW, plus Ted's Beemershop in Scotts Valley & Ben's Motorcycle Works in Watsonville, plus a few others as needed... all great shops.
We must be living in close proximity. All of those places you mentioned are my usual stops whether Ben's at Watsonville, SJ BMW I use a lot for my service and everybody there knows me well.

Used to live in Boulder Creek. Now living in NW Pennsylvania. Yhise are good shops; I especially like Ben's. He's tuned up my GS twice for cross-country rides (plus other maintenance stuff), making sure all was in order and checking things I thought were good-to go. He's great and his 'office manager' is the best.

Back