R18 Bagger Running Lights/Spotlights for the Forward Crash Bars?

Hi everyone, am based in Germany and have had my R18 Bagger for two years now. Have installed a back-rest, crash-bars front and back, luggage rack and the screen from the Transcontinental. I'm missing only one thing, Running-Lights for the front crash-bars. BMW don't supply anything, Wunderlich has pictures of R18s with such lights on it's website, they are however not for sale. Any ideas anyone. Thanks, Robert

Attachments

• tempImagewobrpz.png
    tempImagewobrpz.png
    12.4 MB · Views: 10
  • tempImageM2gk8F.png
    tempImageM2gk8F.png
    12.3 MB · Views: 6
  • tempImagetwySip.png
    tempImagetwySip.png
    13.7 MB · Views: 10
  • tempImageAGhc6J.png
    tempImageAGhc6J.png
    11.2 MB · Views: 10
Hi everyone, am based in Germany and have had my R18 Bagger for two years now. Have installed a back-rest, crash-bars front and back, luggage rack and the screen from the Transcontinental. I'm missing only one thing, Running-Lights for the front crash-bars. BMW don't supply anything, Wunderlich has pictures of R18s with such lights on it's website, they are however not for sale. Any ideas anyone. Thanks, Robert
Another Robert here... Just did this install last night, wiring for the lights all under the windscreen faring... See photos below

Attachments

• IMG_3069.jpg
    IMG_3069.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3070.jpg
    IMG_3070.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3071.jpg
    IMG_3071.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3072.jpg
    IMG_3072.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3073.jpg
    IMG_3073.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3076.jpg
    IMG_3076.jpg
  • IMG_3077.jpg
    IMG_3077.jpg
  • IMG_3079.jpg
    IMG_3079.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3080.jpg
    IMG_3080.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3081.jpg
    IMG_3081.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 17
Also did the front crash bar today and need to ensure you get ones with the top mount like the one on the TC, I had the DK Design type with the top bracket and it gets in the way of the steering damper, so you have to ensure it has the mount that goes directly to the frame just like the TC.

Also did the front crash bar today and need to ensure you get ones with the top mount like the one on the TC, I had the DK Design type with the top bracket and it gets in the way of the steering damper, so you have to ensure it has the mount that goes directly to the frame just like the TC.
Thanks for taking the time Robert to send me such a detailed reply. I do like the TC lights, but I like the idea of having them on the front crash bars better. If there were a solution of buying the TC lights, removing them from the mounting frame, finding someone to make respectable/professional looking adaptor clamps to mount them on the crash bars, that would indeed be the perfect solution. I'd be using original BMW lights, and as you say, the connections are already there, under the dash. I contacted a HD dealer a couple of days ago. Found some lights on its website. They were halogen however and the light color is completely different. Thanks anyway buddy and a Happy Christmas and great New Year.

p.s. How do you switch your lights on? Did you buy a new switch cluster for the left hand handlebar side? 👍

I use the bottom half of the mode switch, it does not have the icon on it, or I have not changed the switch cluster to the TC one. I may decide that in the future, but for now I am happy with the way it works.

I use the bottom half of the mode switch, it does not have the icon on it, or I have not changed the switch cluster to the TC one. I may decide that in the future, but for now I am happy with the way it works.
I have the same setup and I really like it (switch no icon but works) ... but it was done as a pre-buy package .. did you have to software enable the functionality of that switch or did it just work?
... just trying to figure out if the local mechanic is trying to tell me a load of bull ;)

The mechanic has told you a porky pie ; no need for software update of the switch . If they have cruise control as a function , connect the appropriate BMW wire and voila, you have light.

Thanks for taking the time Robert to send me such a detailed reply. I do like the TC lights, but I like the idea of having them on the front crash bars better. If there were a solution of buying the TC lights, removing them from the mounting frame, finding someone to make respectable/professional looking adaptor clamps to mount them on the crash bars, that would indeed be the perfect solution. I'd be using original BMW lights, and as you say, the connections are already there, under the dash. I contacted a HD dealer a couple of days ago. Found some lights on its website. They were halogen however and the light color is completely different. Thanks anyway buddy and a Happy Christmas and great New Year.
Purchased auxiliary light clamps from Aliexpress. Bought slightly larger diameter ( for clamps ) than handlebars and used tape to make up difference. Stainless steel bolts from local hardware. Purchased BMW lights and wiring from BMW site in France - cheaper. Plug in and connect under tank for my Pure model.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
I have the same setup and I really like it (switch no icon but works) ... but it was done as a pre-buy package .. did you have to software enable the functionality of that switch or did it just work?
... just trying to figure out if the local mechanic is trying to tell me a load of bull ;)
I did not get any software updates, just plugged into the prewired connections and all worked. I am however shocked that there is no icon on the tft when the lights are on. I will check with the mechanic to see if it is possible to get it to light up when I have it in for servicing.

I did not get any software updates, just plugged into the prewired connections and all worked. I am however shocked that there is no icon on the tft when the lights are on. I will check with the mechanic to see if it is possible to get it to light up when I have it in for servicing
Purchased auxiliary light clamps from Aliexpress. Bought slightly larger diameter ( for clamps ) than handlebars and used tape to make up difference. Stainless steel bolts from local hardware. Purchased BMW lights and wiring from BMW site in France - cheaper. Plug in and connect under tank for my Pure model.
Great idea, would like to see a complete picture of the bike showing your set up. This wouldn't work for my Bagger, but using the clamps from Aliexpress might fit on my crash bar. Could you please send detailed list of parts with links, including part numbers, especially for the wiring loom from BMW. How did you power them up? Are they wired into the BUS system with that loom or straight to a live outlet? Where do you switch them on? Thanks Buddy 👍

Measure the diameter of your crash bar and get slightly larger diameter clamps. The auxiliary lights and wiring available from bmw.europe-moto.com ( the wiring harness for the Pure may be different from the B ). Do a search on this forum under auxiliary lights and l think past discussions give you the part numbers and how / where to connect for the B . Your mode switch - press lower portion to switch on auxiliary lights.

Last edited:
I did not get any software updates, just plugged into the prewired connections and all worked. I am however shocked that there is no icon on the tft when the lights are on. I will check with the mechanic to see if it is possible to get it to light up when I have it in for servicing.
Thanks for that info !

Back