R18 Classic - Drive Train Slop

Does anyone else think there is quite a bit of drivetrain slop to the lower gears on the R18 or is it just me? Compared to other bikes I find it a challenge to keep it smooth in 1st and 2nd gear in stop and go traffic. traffic .

Coming from a chain drive or a belt drive to the drive shaft takes a little getting used to.
With the driveshaft the mechanical backlash is more distinct and noticeable.
Just the nature of the beast.

i Concur with Desert Rat and clivescott rain mode would inherently make the backlash less noticeable

Drive train lash is just the combined "slack" or "clearance" between all meshing components from crankshaft to rear wheel and when power is applied or shut down that clearance is closed-up. Typically, chain drive machines have the most slack because chain wear and the required adjusted-in slack in the chain adds significantly more lash than drive shaft machines have. We usually don't notice drive train lash on deceleration because the reverse torque applied on backing off the throttle is small. However, applying throttle, especially abruptly, can result in a sudden "lurch" as power forcibly takes up the slack.

Drive train lash is just the combined "slack" or "clearance" between all meshing components from crankshaft to rear wheel and when power is applied or shut down that clearance is closed-up. Typically, chain drive machines have the most slack because chain wear and the required adjusted-in slack in the chain adds significantly more lash than drive shaft machines have. We usually don't notice drive train lash on deceleration because the reverse torque applied on backing off the throttle is small. However, applying throttle, especially abruptly, can result in a sudden "lurch" as power forcibly takes up the slack.
Yada Yada Yada
My horses say hello.

Last edited:
Back