R18 Jekill & Hyde Install and Thoughts

I'm surprised folks haven't inverted the BMW OEM SLASH CUT exhaust tips to get a different look; it's only four Torx screws that secure them, which can easily be rotated to change the slash cut 180 degrees. This occurred to me while I was packing my OEM exhaust into the J&H boxes; I had to remove the BMW OEM exhaust tips in order to get the exhaust system to fit within the J&H box.
Excellent idea, it's on my list now. Thanks! (y)
I saw a mention here some time back and forgot all about it. The black inside looks great too and I think it makes sense.

https://www.r18forums.com/threads/exhaust-mod-tip-pun-intended.1014/post-15496

I'm surprised folks haven't inverted the BMW OEM SLASH CUT exhaust tips to get a different look; it's only four Torx screws that secure them, which can easily be rotated to change the slash cut 180 degrees. This occurred to me while I was packing my OEM exhaust into the J&H boxes; I had to remove the BMW OEM exhaust tips in order to get the exhaust system to fit within the J&H box.
Have considered it but I think they need to be a bit longer to pull it off. Would be nice for the tip to be inverted and inline with the rear of the bag IMO.

Your write up on the installation process is the kind of thing we need here on the forum. Thank you.

I know a few of us looking at the Dr. Jekill & Mr. Hyde exhaust system have balked at Wunderlich price; I looked up the BMW pricing for the parts that I harvested off of my bike from the J-&-H exhaust install. The Mufflers, Heat Shields and Case Mounting Bracket topped out at over $4,700 USD.
I know a few of us looking at the Dr. Jekill & Mr. Hyde exhaust system have balked at Wunderlich price; I looked up the BMW pricing for the parts that I harvested off of my bike from the J-&-H exhaust install. The Mufflers, Heat Shields and Case Mounting Bracket topped out at over $4,700 USD.
https://www.adrenalinmotorsportsaz....te-Carbon-Gray-Adrenalin-Motorsports-12927614

2023 for $500 more

Scott, do you know if these fit with the Wunderlich protection bars?
I'm not 100% sure; I had returned the original version of the Wunderlich rear case protection bars, as a credit towards the purchase of the Jekyll & Hyde exhaust system.

However, my guess is that the two upgrades will be compatible; the only question will concern the rear exhaust anchor point, where it attaches to the frame. The J&H exhaust upgrade, replaces the BMW OEM exhaust mounting bracket, where it is also anchored at that same frame mounting point (highlighted in RED in Step 6) of the Wunderlich installation document, and also (Step 6, highlighted in BLUE) within the J&H install document.

See the attached pictures from the Wunderlich protection bar (Step 6) and J&H installation documentation (also Step 6).

I've decided not to install the Wunderlich Rear-Case Protection Bars; I have personally witnessed, where the BMW OEM Engine Protection Bar covers me for any stopped and or low speed drops that might occur, regarding the Exhaust and or Rear Cases ground clearance.. I accidentally had my bike go over while moving it in the garage; I took the opportunity to inspect the ground clearance of the Exhaust system and Rear Case; as well as practice my single-person lifting technique (Left Side Lift: Grabbing the Clutch Bar End with my Right Hand, while my Left Hand pushed on the Throttle Side Bar End, and walked the bike right up, extended the kick-stand and all was right in my world...)

Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 4.50.39 AM.pngScreenshot_20230908-050230.png

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure; I had returned the original version of the Wunderlich rear case protection bars, as a credit towards the purchase of the Jekyll & Hyde exhaust system.

However, my guess is that the two upgrades will be compatible; the only question will concern the rear exhaust anchor point, where it attaches to the frame. The J&H exhaust upgrade, replaces the BMW OEM exhaust mounting bracket, where it is also anchored at that same frame mounting point (highlighted in RED in Step 6) of the Wunderlich installation document, and also (Step 6, highlighted in BLUE) within the J&H install document.

See the attached pictures from the Wunderlich protection bar (Step 6) and J&H installation documentation (also Step 6).

I've decided not to install the Wunderlich Rear-Case Protection Bars; I have personally witnessed, where the BMW OEM Engine Protection Bar covers me for any stopped and or low speed drops that might occur, regarding the Exhaust and or Rear Cases ground clearance.. I accidentally had my bike go over while moving it in the garage; I took the opportunity to inspect the ground clearance of the Exhaust system and Rear Case, as well as practice my single-person lifting technique (Left Side Lift: Grabbing the Clutch Bar End with my Right Hand, while my Left Hand pushed on the Throttle Side Bar End, and walked the bike right up, extended the kick-stand and all was right in my world...)

View attachment 11564View attachment 11565

Thanks. I’ll call them today and see what they say. I was looking at the bike and my concern was if the rear “cone” of the exhaust would rub against the protection bar, I didn’t consider the mounting locations. BTW, I like what you did with the activation button. I wasn’t thrilled with mounting it on the handlebars.

I agree with your assessment of the protection bars. Before I had them installed (v2 bars), I dropped the bike on the left had side because I didn’t realize the kickstand snapped back and over she went. The engine bars are a must IMO, but the bike did also rest on the bottom of the exhaust at around the mid point if I remember correctly. I did scratch the bottom of the chrome cover, but it's on the bottom and can’t be seen. I do love how the Wunderlich bars look, they did an excellent job conformoing to the lines of the bags/pinstriping. IMO, the bars only use woud be protection from an accendential ramming from something that your are moving around the bike, garbage can, work cart, etc. Thanks for the detailed answer, you’ve been a great asset to the community.

I was able to talk to Wunderlich today. They did install this exhaust on a bagger with the Wunderlich bag protection bars installed at Sturgis. The guy who installed it said a minor tweak needs to be made at the rear attachment point; I believe he told a spacer. He also said anyone with some mechanical aptitude can do it. Luckily for me I’m mechanically reclined :-D

It would be so cool to keep the stock exhaust on my FE but have the 3 way electronically controlled baffle system too. Might be something I look into this winter. Nice post. Thank you.

Well, that was a royal pain in the ass. I tried for several hours to get the Wunderlich bag protection bars to work with the Dr J&H exhaust. I couldn't. No matter what I tried, the bottom of the bar at the rear attachment point rubbed on the exhaust. I even tried to enlarge the mounting hole on the protection bar, which was unsuccessful. Even if I could get it to stop rubbing, moving the protection bar would cause the bar to be raised and would no longer align with the flow and the paint strip of the bag. I really liked the protection bar, I thought they looked great, even though they didn’t provide any real protection for a tipover. I’m going to look at another, more traditional protection bar.

The second issue was once I had the exhaust tightened up, the external “turnbuckle” of the flap mechanism was binding on the exhaust mounting bar that was provided with the exhaust. I used a couple of washers to space out the exhaust from the mounting bracket. I hate to do that, and I might at some point take it back off and grind away at the mounting bracket because, at some point, maintenance will be required, and there is a good chance the shop or me will not remember to put those washers back on.

I still have to take it out and see how it sounds :-D

"86" the Case Protection Bars, you have the OEM Engine Protection Bar and that will do the trick if your bike should fall over; you shouldn't have a problem selling the Wunderlich bars and or perhaps returning them (especially if you bought the bars and the exhaust from them...).

Take pictures of the binding issue; I haven't had any issues with my exhaust, I'll compare your pictures with my setup and see if there's a better solution.

"86" the Case Protection Bars, you have the OEM Engine Protection Bar, and that will do the trick if your bike should fall over; you shouldn't have a problem selling the Wunderlich bars and or perhaps returning them (especially if you bought the bars and the exhaust from them...).

Take pictures of the binding issue; I haven't had any issues with my exhaust, I'll compare your pictures with my setup and see if there's a better solution.
The problem is on the LHS. If the spacers are removed, that turnbuckle thing will bind somewhere on the mounting bracket. That bracket has a cutout for the turnbuckle. As you can also see, the “cogs” on the turnbuckle are skewed. IMG_4217.jpegIMG_4216.jpegIMG_4215.jpeg

Have you tried calling the Wunderlich guys down in the Carolinas; they were extremely helpful when I had issues with my side case bars making contact with the rear swing arm? I found the J&H exhaust kit to be very well made and high quality; perhaps they can send you a new bracket assembly.

I ordered the ROCTAIN Side Case Fill Panels, which I should receive this week; I'll take a closer look at my J&H installation once I remove my side cases during the Fill Panel job.

Have you tried calling the Wunderlich guys down in the Carolinas; they were extremely helpful when I had issues with my side case bars making contact with the rear swing arm? I found the J&H exhaust kit to be very well made and high quality; perhaps they can send you a new bracket assembly.

I ordered the ROCTAIN Side Case Fill Panels, which I should receive this week; I'll take a closer look at my J&H installation once I remove my side cases during the Fill Panel job.
I was able to resolve the binding issue by taking the left side apart, loosening all the mounting screws and installing it again.

I was able to resolve the binding issue by taking the left side apart, loosening all the mounting screws and installing it again.
I was going to check in with you earlier today; I had my cases and case brackets removed on both sides of my bike during the Filler Panel installation, I didn't see anything that I did differently from the installation guide. I do remember having everything loose during the J&H installation, and then tightening everything up as a final step.

Anyway, I'm glad you figured it out; I was a little surprised if it had turned out to be a quality thing related to the exhaust system, my initial thought when I looked at my J&H system was that it was well made and high quality.

I did however find the case mounting bar was extremely loose on the clutch side; I had to reapply LOC-TITE and re-torque the below depicted bolts:

1697992853348.png

I was going to check in with you earlier today; I had my cases and case brackets removed on both sides of my bike during the Filler Panel installation, I didn't see anything that I did differently from the installation guide. I do remember having everything loose during the J&H installation, and then tightening everything up as a final step.

Anyway, I'm glad you figured it out; I was a little surprised if it had turned out to be a quality thing related to the exhaust system, m initial thought when I looked at my J&H system was that it was well made and high quality.

I did however find the case mounting bar was extremely loose on the clutch side; I had to reapply LOC-TITE and re-torque the below depicted bolts:

View attachment 12066
I don’t think it’s a quality issue, just something to be aware of when you assemble the exhaust. I did put loctite on all of the exhaust mounting hardware just it case. It didn’t come with any locking washers so I figured that was a good idea. I’m still bummed that the Wunderlich bars hit the top of the exahust pipe. I spoke with the guy at Wunderlich who installed the exhaust with the bars, and he talked about using the handle end of a mallet to, I assume, bend the exhaust bracket down to make about a 1/2” gap between the top of the exhaust pipe and the bottom of the protection bar. I’m not sure I’m willing to do that.

Back