R18 oil leak

@Scott Semone ... soooo I measured what came out of the transmission and it measured 1.2l hmmm maybe I did slightly over fill it ... considering Uschi puked some out .. there must have been at least 1.25' in there .. and I know how sensitive these things are to over filling ... and then I also noticed that the oil was foaming a bit when I poured it into the measuring jug .. that will do it every time!!! ... so I will try refilling it with Bel Ray Hypoid oil .. not that Scheaffer one anymore and make damn sure it is 1.1l and see whats happening ... if she still leaks I just have to pull her apart again ... I am getting used to it ... sigh

@Scott Semone ... soooo I measured what came out of the transmission and it measured 1.2l hmmm maybe I did slightly over fill it ... considering Uschi puked some out .. there must have been at least 1.25' in there .. and I know how sensitive these things are to over filling ... and then I also noticed that the oil was foaming a bit when I poured it into the measuring jug .. that will do it every time!!! ... so I will try refilling it with Bel Ray Hypoid oil .. not that Scheaffer one anymore and make damn sure it is 1.1l and see whats happening ... if she still leaks I just have to pull her apart again ... I am getting used to it ... sigh
My 2022 R18 B requires 1.15 L for the Transmission; basically, 2 x 500 mL bottles + a measured 150 mL = 1.15 L.

I pre measured 150 mL and poured everything (both bottles) into an automotive funnel which includes a piece of clear plastic tubing with a pointed plastic tip.

I didn't experience any "overfill spillage" from the fill plug hole, with the bike perpendicular via the Kern-Stabi bike stand.

I purchased the BMW branded fluid from my local dealer, and will continue to do so up to the point where my warranty runs out... (Filed receipts). BMW brand gear oil is extremely pricey..$$$

Yes ... I would do the same ... except I don't have a dealer here anymore, the closest dealership is a 360 mile round trip now ... so I am not banking on getting any warranty anyway. Asides that ,the Scheaffer oil is what this (local) dealership was using ... I used the Bel Ray Hypoid before in my 1200 C and it worked very well .. so I just go with that and see how it goes. As for measuring, I use a 1L bottle the oil comes in and then a large syringe where I can pull up (and measure) the remainder, I am not exactly sure how I ended up with a little too much ... maybe there was a remainder in the gear box. Tuesday or so the new breather will arrive, in the meantime I will see if I can get to the one that is installed and see if I can remove it without having to drop the engine out out the frame ... I really don't want to go that far at this time. If I can't I will refill with the exact amount and then reassemble the bike and see how it goes ... I think for this one I need some luck on my side ... haven't had much of that lately.

It is definitely coming from that little breather, I managed to lift the intake assembly high enough up to get to it and remove the old one.
TransBreather05.jpg

soaking wet and only the area where it is is wet ... well Monday or Tuesday the new one will be here and I hope I can get it seated without having to take any more bike apart.

It is definitely coming from that little breather, I managed to lift the intake assembly high enough up to get to it and remove the old one.
View attachment 13837

soaking wet and only the area where it is is wet ... well Monday or Tuesday the new one will be here and I hope I can get it seated without having to take any more bike apart.
Is it a faulty breather or an overfilled transmission case, and a functional breather valve..?

Is it a faulty breather or an overfilled transmission case, and a functional breather valve..?
It could be that it was slightly overfilled ... but not by much ... and it didn't start gushing until 3500 miles after the oil change ... very odd ... not sure if that breather is the problem either ... but it was very wet around it .. I already ordered a new one (that black rubber doohickey in the previous post) and I may as well put in the new one after it arrives ... the part number from the original has changed, so there is a chance that the new one is re-designed ... the old one is the same part number hat the R1200C has ... maybe BMW tried to re-use existing parts and then changed their mind about it .. not sure. There is no separate valve this one is a goofy one-piece rubber thing.

It could be that it was slightly overfilled ... but not by much ... and it didn't start gushing until 3500 miles after the oil change ... very odd ... not sure if that breather is the problem either ... but it was very wet around it .. I already ordered a new one (that black rubber doohickey in the previous post) and I may as well put in the new one after it arrives ... the part number from the original has changed, so there is a chance that the new one is re-designed ... the old one is the same part number hat the R1200C has ... maybe BMW tried to re-use existing parts and then changed their mind about it .. not sure. There is no separate valve this one is a goofy one-piece rubber thing.
Maybe the fluid is breaking down and or bubbling, causing it to expand?

Maybe the fluid is breaking down and or bubbling, causing it to expand?
My thoughts exactly!!! she stood for a couple of weeks when it was nasty out and/or the oil drew moisture and that did it ... in any case I am switching breather AND oil brand. We will see soon ;)

My thoughts exactly!!! she stood for a couple of weeks when it was nasty out and/or the oil drew moisture and that did it ... in any case I am switching breather AND oil brand. We will see soon ;)
Maybe a faulty breather allowed water vapor to enter the system, condensation, etc. etc starts snowballing into a foaming hot mess...

Maybe a faulty breather allowed water vapor to enter the system, condensation, etc. etc starts snowballing into a foaming hot mess...
Could be .. in any case I will see soon if that is what it was ... or if things go sideways ... start over again with the trouble shooting ... sigh. Now the wait happens, until FedEx arrives.

Well the new one came today .... even though the partnumber is different is does look quite the same
TransBreather06.jpg

in any case .. I will find out ;)
And a shout out to MAX BMW even with this happening

Screen Shot 2024-04-03 at 6.18.58 AM.png

It still came here around the time the parts guy estimated ... nice.

Well Uschi is back together.
I managed to lift the intake up just high enough to get the old one out and the new one in.

TransBreather07.jpg

TransBreather08.jpg

... and because I lost faith in that Schaeffer oil, I switched both gearbox and final drive to Bel-Ray Hypoid.
Rode her around a bit town and a few miles on the Freeway and so far it looks encouraging.
In theend I am almost convinced it was not the breather .. but just cr@ppy oil.

So it only happened once? ... hmmm I changed to oil about 3500 miles back and it just started doing it .. so I don't think over filling is the issue here ... I did order the newer style breather from MAX, it should be here early next week. In the meantime I will tear off the top covers and see what I can find there.
One so far. I put a paper towell under the bike when parked, if it leaks again I’ll spot it.

Back