R18/R18C to R18B

Had not noticed that prior. Uncertain how a first edition r18b differs from later years. Save maybe for the free kit box they gave back then. Nice spot running lights, bike I may look at does not have them. They also have a TC in that purple color for like 4.5k more plus yet more weight.

I do dig white pen striping on black paint. Just wish the speakers did not take up so much room in the bags though if you like tunes you got to ‘play’ the price for speaker space.

Had not noticed that prior. Uncertain how a first edition r18b differs from later years. Save maybe for the free kit box they gave back then. Nice spot running lights, bike I may look at does not have them. They also have a TC in that purple color for like 4.5k more plus yet more weight.

I do dig white pen striping on black paint. Just wish the speakers did not take up so much room in the bags though if you like tunes you got to ‘play’ the price for speaker space.
The box, the stripes, and the chrome bits on the engine I believe are the differences between 1st and subsequent years. I have a 23 and the engine is all black, and no stripes on the body. Tho you can order a new bike with stripes if you were so inclined.

The B does not come with spot lights on any year of manufacturing. Scott fitted this as he likes that from the TC.
The FE B came with a different alloys (black and chrome) the white paint stripes and the copper roundels.
I believe if you fancy the stripes you need to go for the 719 option bike which ads a tad of individuality to the bike.
Is the bike you are looking to purchase the one it is on your first post?
It looks like a FE B to me with the addition of crash bars and at $14.5K it is a steal.
I know the speakers take a bit of room but this has never been a limitation for me. With this I mean if I need to carry something extra, I don’t believe the room the speakers take make such difference. I can always strap a hold-all to the passenger seat or grab a small back pack for the extra bits I could fit inside the panniers.

I went from an R18 to an R18B both in FE trim.

The B handled better because of the rake difference and was more comfortable for sure but, on reflection overall it was a less fun ride than the R18 imo. In hindsight, I probably should have just changed the rear shock on my R18. Fuel capacity/ gauge weren’t an issue for me.

The capacity of the saddlebags is laughable compared to the equivalent HD Street Glide Special I’d owned previously (2018 model I believe the 2024 models are even bigger). I get that BMW wanted to show off the exposed drive shaft but I would have appreciated more room, easily achievable by altering the angle of the forward side of the bag. The infotainment screen was nice to look at but a lot less useful (again imo). The new HD screen is amazing from what I’ve seen. Bag capacity and no inbuilt nav/ CarPlay option for nav both big misses by BMW for me.

FE trim on the B gets you nothing different to a later model, here in the UK at least other than First Edition on the saddlebag hinge. The extra chrome, pin stripes and contrast cut wheels are all available to be optioned from new. If you’re buying used, getting the welcome box is not guaranteed so I wouldn’t necessarily count that as an extra.

Edit to add: I also felt that the quality of my B wasn’t as good as my R18. Little things like the side panels being plastic rather than metal and some other fit/ finish pieces. Still a high quality machine just felt that the attention to detail wasn’t as high.

Bought the 23 Anniversary edition. I like a more stripped down look. Besides the paint scheme (retro) and a few other small differences, my thinking was that the bike might hold it's value a little better down the road. Which is why I'm leaving it stock minus the rear seat and foot pegs. Just added the Roland Sands valve head covers, and I'm done. Going to throw in the bren tune re map and swap out the air filter and that's it.
I do wish it had a gas gauge. And the metal bar in the gas tank that prevents the gas nozzle from being inserted as to where it shuts off...is the dumbest shit I've ever seen on any product.
In the old days I'd take the bike to a custom speed shop, have the tank removed, and have that F'in bar taken out. But I've had it with modifying everything....

how does the exhaust sound? compared to stock
Slightly more throatier when in the "Hyde" mode; it's not Harley Davidson loud and not as distinct as a DUCATI Termignoni exhaust..

At some point, I may remove the exhaust servo module and terminate the circuit with the Servo Buddy modules.

All in all, it's a good sound when sitting idle or getting on the throttle; the overall look and fit of the Jekyll & Hyde exhaust system on the R18 is amazing looking and very high quality.

The B handled better because of the rake difference and was more comfortable for sure but, on reflection overall it was a less fun ride than the R18 imo. In hindsight, I probably should have just changed the rear shock on my R18. Fuel capacity/ gauge weren’t an issue for me.

The capacity of the saddlebags is laughable compared to the equivalent HD Street Glide Special I’d owned previously (2018 model I believe the 2024 models are even bigger). I get that BMW wanted to show off the exposed drive shaft but I would have appreciated more room, easily achievable by altering the angle of the forward side of the bag. The infotainment screen was nice to look at but a lot less useful (again imo). The new HD screen is amazing from what I’ve seen. Bag capacity and no inbuilt nav/ CarPlay option for nav both big misses by BMW for me.

FE trim on the B gets you nothing different to a later model, here in the UK at least other than First Edition on the saddlebag hinge. The extra chrome, pin stripes and contrast cut wheels are all available to be optioned from new. If you’re buying used, getting the welcome box is not guaranteed so I wouldn’t necessarily count that as an extra.

Edit to add: I also felt that the quality of my B wasn’t as good as my R18. Little things like the side panels being plastic rather than metal and some other fit/ finish pieces. Still a high quality machine just felt that the attention to detail wasn’t as high.
“…on reflection overall it was a less fun ride than the R18 imo. In hindsight, I probably should have just changed the rear shock on my R18. Fuel capacity/ gauge weren’t an issue for me.…”
I am hearing you there guy. I do like the look of the R18B and the price was great (a steal) but it had Ape Hanger bars and don’t think that would work for me though to be honest did not take it for a ride so maybe such bars are not a bad ‘extra’ vs stock R18B bars.

Plus, in the end thinking my base R18 is good enough for my ‘old age old body’ needs. Just need to get her out of the garage and do a ride for a bit today. And even though I just typed that have to say I was smitten with the Purple TC they had there and its bars felt nice. Granted it weighed a ton and probably turned as fast as the Titanic but Man what a looker that bike is and sort of dig that magically paint that sort of changes colors based on how you are looking at it.

Attachments

• IMG_1603.jpeg
    IMG_1603.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2978.jpeg
    IMG_2978.jpeg
    627.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Agree on bag volume on the R18B/TC due to those darn speakers lol. Indeed, the new 2024 HD bike bags have lots of storage space and their new frigging TV sized TFT screen is beyond large. I guess if you have to ask what it cost you cannot afford it and for certain Harley 2024 Roadglide and Streetglide cost a lot now days.

But, got to say me loves bags that you can put a lot of stuff in and, even on my ‘little’ CE04 TFT screen I do like them and can only figure that new 24 HD screen is a joy to behold and use when riding. Thus ‘hats off to HD for moving the bar ‘forward’ on those two fronts. Recall the Victory bag models had massive bag volume as well. Their batwing fairing bike with that Victory engine was sweet and seemed you could not kill that engine it was built so good.

Attachments

• IMG_1608.jpeg
    IMG_1608.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1606.jpeg
    IMG_1606.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Back