R18 Stock Mirror adjusting

The mirrors that came with my R18C were set completely wrong to see anything behind me. In the process of trying to tilt and adjust the angle I realized these mirrors are rigid and it appears you cant pivot them like most, is that correct? Felt like I was going to break the mirror if I forced it to angle inwards. It seems (to me) for horizontal adjustments you need to swivel the mirror at the base of the stalk by loosening the nut below and then re-tightening. Vertical adjustments are done by loosening the clamshell that holds the clutch assembly or brake assembly, rotating it on the bars slightly and then re-tightening. Is this correct? Ive never seen mirrors that you cant adjust while riding. Am I doing it wrong?

Greetings, they seem normally adjustable to me, perhaps they're a mite sticky, but that's good because they'll generally stay set. I can adjust mine by gripping the mirror face firmly in the palm of one hand and angling as needed, looking at the back of the mirror can see if ball and socket are at limit where a base adjustment may be a benefit.

If you can't adjust your mirrors you'd can follow this Todkavonic's process in order to reach the nut,so you'll be able to adjust it.

I confirm I was doing it wrong. The stock mirrors start out very stiff/sticky but if you carefully push you can tilt them properly.
Note! While adjusting the stems I noticed they do not have lock washers on either the top or bottom of where the mirror base attaches. This is bad. When you crank down on the acorn nut there isnt anything to "bite" into and you may find your mirrors loosen over time and easily nudged left or right. I put a lock washer underneath so when applying torque to hold them in position you now can feel some resistance and they should hold.

I put a little loctite in the acorn nut as well because... it felt wrong not to. :)

Here is a picture from the underside of the clutch housing with the lock washer in place.

Attachments

• MirrorLockWasher.jpg
    MirrorLockWasher.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 11
Back