R18 TC break in period

Shake-N-Bake

Premium Member
Site Supporter
Any words of advice here. The manual seems pretty vague, other than varying engine speed.

Are there RPM limits (high RPM - low RPM) that I should be aware of?

Let me know your thoughts…

Bake

These are low rpm motors. I *think* redline is about 5k (someone correct me).
Break in milage is about 600-700 miles.

** Redline is 5750 according to BMW specs

Last edited:
Quote: "These are low rpm motors."
This is very true of the R18TC. In lower gears I shift at about 1700-1800 rpm. In higher gears I shift at 2200-2300

They are low RPM engines compared to higher RPM engines e.g., R1250, S1000, K1600, but as it breaks in and certainly after the first service it is perfectly acceptable and appropriate to enjoy the engines capabilities outside of a 600 RPM range. The engine gets smoother and smoother and depending on the road and traffic I may "short shift" and stay in the lower RPM range, but I also often ride it while letting her "stretch her legs" during more aggressive riding or even just to quickly merge onto the freeway where you are needing to literally get your ass in gear. It will pull very nicely well up into the 4Ks range when asked and you will be well within the engines design parameters and in it's "happy" operating range. Enjoy it, you can genuinely feel it get better and better as the mileage crosses several thousand miles.

Any words of advice here. The manual seems pretty vague, other than varying engine speed.

Are there RPM limits (high RPM - low RPM) that I should be aware of?

Let me know your thoughts…

Bake
My thoughts on breaking in, take it easy for an hour or so on a brand new bike then ride it like you'll always ride it. Get the first 600 mile service and never look back. Don't you think the demo bikes have been really ran pretty hard?

They are low RPM engines compared to higher RPM engines e.g., R1250, S1000, K1600, but as it breaks in and certainly after the first service it is perfectly acceptable and appropriate to enjoy the engines capabilities outside of a 600 RPM range. The engine gets smoother and smoother and depending on the road and traffic I may "short shift" and stay in the lower RPM range, but I also often ride it while letting her "stretch her legs" during more aggressive riding or even just to quickly merge onto the freeway where you are needing to literally get your ass in gear. It will pull very nicely well up into the 4Ks range when asked and you will be well within the engines design parameters and in it's "happy" operating range. Enjoy it, you can genuinely feel it get better and better as the mileage crosses several thousand miles.
Low RPM engines are often high torque. The R18 is no different as it has over 110ft/lbs over 2000 and peak is at 3000. 2000-3500 is awesome on the R18 and one misses out if they short shift before that.

I’m going to say something controversial. Flog it; ride it like you stole it. Boxers like revs and more revs. Break in is to break it if there were factory defects:)
Not controversial it all, one man's "ride it like you stole it" is another man's "let her stretch her legs".......;)

When I was in late teens and 20's, I loved acceleration on a motorcycle. In 30's and 40's I loved loud pipes. In 50's and now 60's, I love wind protection fairings. I used to think touring bikes were ugly. Now I only ride them.

Back