R18 TC TFT and iPhone issues, my thoughts and findings.

If this gets long I apologise.

It all started when I picked my TC on the 6th January 2023, I had already watched numerous YouTube videos on the TFT and it’s issues and lets face it the owners manual isn’t exactly clear on how to do anything with WiFi it just says refer the the owners manual of the phone for connectivity.

So, since I’ve had the bike I’ve been unable to hold a WiFi connection for any length of time it would always drop out and leave me with no maps as I’m sure you all know about. At first I thought there was a wireless charger connected as that is what some of the “expert” videos I watched said, how ever on my first long ride I killed the battery on my iPhone and realised wireless charging was not present. I have since bought the BMW usb C to lightning cable to charge the phone. (If you guys in the USA think the cable is expensive it cost $90 AUD in Australia)

I checked my software version which was 011_077_035 I sent an email to BMW Connect to find the current version which is 013.013.020 and came out in March 2022.

Copy of BMW email.

[Dear David,

Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your efforts to direct your request to us.

We would like to inform you that an update for the connectivity / TFT display (vehicle software) has been available from BMW Motorrad dealerships since march 2022. This update (version 013.013.020) will fix more bugs and further improve the stability of the Bluetooth connections.

The system is not disturbed by this.

A feedback if the problem persists after the update would be very helpful for us. Thank you in advance!

Kind Regards,

Jörg Baderschneider

--

BMW Motorrad Connectivity
]

I contacted my dealer who performed the update.

I have an iPhone 11 running iOS 16.3.1 I rest all settings back to factory just in case I had changed something that the Connected App or the TFT didn’t like. I have set the screen auto lock to “never” so I don’t turn off the Connected App when it is in the phone compartment. Also if you go to “settings / WiFi “ when you are connected to your TFT WiFI tap on the blue information icon it will take you to a page that asks you if you would like to join this network, if you scroll down the page you will see your WiFi address and just above that you will see a heading “Private WiFi Address” if that button is turned on, turn it off. Apple use that to send a fake WiFi address to any WiFi system you try to log onto so you can’t be hacked. Which means every time you turn your bike off and restart it the TFT is looking for your iPhone to log on but your phone sends a different address each time it encounters a WiFi network and I think it is confusing the TFT. I have also turned off “Auto-Join” on every network except the TFT.

So, what has happened since I did all this. I have been on 3 rides totalling 600k’s and the TFT has worked beautifully, I pulled in to get fuel, turned the bike off left my iPhone in the bike and when I came back, I wasn’t going to worry about reconnecting the App as I was close to home but everything started up again without me doing anything. I went into McDonalds for a coffee and this time I took my phone with me stayed for about 20 minutes, came out started the Connected App plugged my phone into the cubbyhole and started the bike and everything came back on without me having to do anything, I then rode another hour and a half home again with no issues.

I hope this might help anyone with an iPhone, I can’t help Android users.

DaveO

DaveO,
Thank you for those helps connecting our iPhones to the bike. What you describe in that last paragraph is something everyone on this site wishes for.

Any forum B/TC members thinking about removing or selling the phone cradle within their TC/B; if so, I would be interested in purchasing it, I'm working on converting the phone compartment to a wireless phone charger. This of course will require the underside to be altered highly with a Dremel and was looking to have a backup while I figure out the electronics.

I started to prototype the concept, which can charge my job iPhone and my Google Pixel 7 thus far; however, the electronics aren't well protected against moisture and such. So I'm now focusing on a waterproof enclosure for the electronics & EMF pad.

If so, feel free to message me directly.

Back