R18C as a first bike

Some updates šŸ˜

Today have a ride on Kawasaki Z650 and then Yamaha Drag Star 1100. I definitely sticked on Yamaha as a cruiser, so I'm closer to buy R18.
Im a fan of the Z900R as having had a Z1 early in my youth. Brings back lots of memories.
You've received lots of advice and Im curious about your experience on the 1100. Its 650lbs (dry) so not that far off from the R18. If you can objectively assess that the 1100 was easy to handle, weight was not as big of an issue and power was appropriate for your skill level, the the R18 might not be a bad option. The key is an objective assessment. The last thing we went to hear is you've over-estimated your skills and wind up hurt or worse. Best of luck.

P.S. As a frame of reference, I rode a Road Glide for 8 years (many, many years of street bikes, motocross, and cruiser bikes), laid off riding for 1 1/2 years and was a little nervous getting back on two wheels. Be prepared for the difference in the massive boxer. It's a different ride, different handling and very torquey. Make sure you test ride in roll mode to begin with. Just my .02 looking out for a fellow rider.

Last edited:
Im a fan of the Z900R as having had a Z1 early in my youth. Brings back lots of memories.
You've received lots of advice and Im curious about your experience on the 1100. Its 650lbs (dry) so not that far off from the R18. If you can objectively assess that the 1100 was way to handle, weight was not as big of an issue and power was appropriate for your skill level, the the R18 might not be a bad option. The key is an objective assessment. The last thing we went to hear is you've over-estimated your skills and wind up hurt or worse. Best of luck.

P.S. As a frame of reference, I rode a Road Glide for 8 years (many, many yers of street bikes, motocross, and cruiser bikes), laid off riding for 1 1/2 years and was a little nervous getting back on two wheels. Be prepared for the difference in the massive boxer. It's a different ride, different handling and very torquey. Make sure you test ride in roll mode to begin with. Just my .02 looking out for a fellow rider.
Thanks! Now I'm training on Yamaha, then will drive heavier bikes. I've to be prepared for R18.

So, here I'm. In August was travelling in Georgia, Tbilisi city and was able to test ride BMW R18. No, it is not mine, because I felt caged after Yamaha Drag Star. Then tested Indian Springfield and fell in love. Came back home, prepaid brand new Indian Springfield. Next day sold my bike within 24hrs for same price, no loss. Within 2 month rided 2000km. It was good bike, handling like bicycle. So my new Indian will arrive later in September. As it is for EU market, it is classic Springfield ( not DH ) with 116 Thunderstroke. Thanks to everyone for your help! Updates will follow.

UPD: Also tested Indian Scout. It was like bicycle to toddlers :)

Attachments

• IMG-20220808-WA0035.jpg
    IMG-20220808-WA0035.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 7
Good day to everyone!

Planning to buy my first bike and I definitely want R18. Now I will highly appreciate your advice on this, because I`m stucked in the middle - buy Yamaha Drag Star 1100 ( 2004-2005) as first, then sell it next year and buy brand new R18 OR buy R18 a not waste my time. All of you is highly experienced riders, so your advice ( pros/cons) will be highly appreciated!

Sorry for any mistakes as I`m not native english speaker

P.S. Living in Azerbaijan
Hello Azerbaijan!

Iā€™m happy you asked ā€œtheā€ question. Iā€™ve got the same question to ask, but Iā€™m 52, Iā€™ve never ever rode a bike and I still have to pass the mandatory exam to get my license. Thatā€™s how Portugal works, Iā€™m Portuguese! šŸ˜

I want this bike for various reasons: because I always wanted a bike, because I want to take my wife for long (50kms) rides on weekends and because I need the dream come true after more than 30 years considering buying a two wheeled vehicle other than a bicycle.

Iā€™ve seen and read I donā€™t know how many reviews of the R18. All say the same: heavy if static. Very light after 2km/h. You will drag your foot pegs if you turn too much! šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

That said, I know I wonā€™t have the skill, the training, the experience and therefore Iā€™ll have to be extremely careful, drive slow, stay alert, exert defensive driving all the time.

But, with all the security and safety and control devices BMW has available, wonā€™t I be a lot safer on an R18 than on any other machine?

Friend told me to buy the R1250 ā€¦ itā€™s so high it scared the living daylights out of me when I ā€œclimbedā€ on it. The fact that I can stand up and be way above the seat makes me feel safe.

Excuse my huge post and getting in the middle of your answers but I really felt happy Iā€™m not the only one considering (my decision is 99% taken) an R18 as first bike.

Thank you all! Stay safeā€¦
Pedro

Buy the bike that you like the most. Or youā€™ll regret about it every time yo look at your ā€œnon likeā€ bike. Donā€™t listen to those who advice you ā€œstart with a lighter bikeā€. In that case, take lessons with a light bike but still buy the R18 (or whatever you like).

Buy the bike that you like the most. Or youā€™ll regret about it every time yo look at your ā€œnon likeā€ bike. Donā€™t listen to those who advice you ā€œstart with a lighter bikeā€. In that case, take lessons with a light bike but still buy the R18 (or whatever you like).
Thanks Luis.

Your response was very appreciated.
šŸ»

I may be the dissenter here but I think common sense and self control will go much further than the bike you learn on.
But then Iā€™m the guy that taught his 17 yo granddaughter to ride on an Indian FTR.
I also thought my wife to drive manual transmission in a 440 6-Pack Roadrunner.
You can just as easily hurt yourself on a Honda Grom if you are not disciplined in your approach.

Last edited:
There is a thin line here. Buying a smaller/different bike than you actually want may give you regret because you long for what you really desired. But buying a big or powerful bike as your first bike may cause regret as it may intimidate you too much to ride.

There are examples of people who started on a big or a powerful bike, got thru the awkward phase and grew as motorcyclists. But there are many more examples of those who were overwhelmed by it, ending up getting too scared, or even crashed and got out of motorcycle riding completely. When people suggest starting out small, itā€™s about playing the odds.

To put how heavy the R18 is in context, my S1000R and Vespa together weigh what my R18 does. While way down on HP, my R18 has more torque than the Vespa and S1000R combined.

There is a thin line here. Buying a smaller/different bike than you actually want may give you regret because you long for what you really desired. But buying a big or powerful bike as your first bike may cause regret as it may intimidate you too much to ride.

There are examples of people who started on a big or a powerful bike, got thru the awkward phase and grew as motorcyclists. But there are many more examples of those who were overwhelmed by it, ending up getting too scared, or even crashed and got out of motorcycle riding completely. When people suggest starting out small, itā€™s about playing the odds.

To put how heavy the R18 is in context, my S1000R and Vespa together weigh what my R18 does. While way down on HP, my R18 has more torque than the Vespa and S1000R combined.
On the third hand, because it's always fun to be devil's advocate to the devil's advocate, you can't really feel torque....you feel acceleration...which is also a function of mass. The R18 doesn't snap your head back regardless of the torque number. The fact that it's down-low, preventing you from needing to down shift as often shouldn't bother new riders.

The only thing that I can think of that would bother new riders is the fact that it requires more counter-steer at slower speeds than most other bikes (at least my C does.)

Back