R18TC some grease from lower headset on back of lower fork crown

VARG

Premium Member
Site Supporter
Elite Member
On my R18TC I saw some grease from lower headset on back of lower fork crown, I cleaned it off and assumed it was just some extra oozing out and getting blown out the back by wind.

Curious if anyone else has seen this grease on back of lower crown, and if seems like normal sort of break in stuff? I didnt think to grab a photo, but it seemed like it added up to a pretty good gob.

I have about 6000 miles on it, mostly highway at usual speeds with a few bursts to run it out a little.

Thanks!

A photo helps a lot. I have an R18TC and would be interested to know what is leaking?

Thanks R12C-R18TC, attaching a photo of the area, looking past the steering dampener from right side with steering in locked position.
In the yellow circle you will see the lower steering bearing in the bottom of the head tube. There's no extra grease there now, just had my 6000 mile service done at MAX, they looked it over and did not detect any issues.
In the red circle is the area where the grease had oozed out and down onto the back of the fork crown. I wiped it off and it has not reappeared. I did notice it after a ride of several hours where I was cruising with traffic at higher speeds, passing semi's generates some intense wind currents and I suspected it may have been those that pushed extra grease out the back. Hope this is helpful.

Attachments

• R18TC_lower_steering_bearing_location.jpg
    R18TC_lower_steering_bearing_location.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I asked the same question when I took mine in for 1st service. You can clean it up a little but don't wipe it away. They didn't use sealed bearings, so the grease is needed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220625-151627_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220625-151627_Chrome.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 8
I've seen that on several bikes when a little extra grease eventually works it's way down to where you found it. As long as the steering feels right I would just keep an eye on it and if in doubt have the shop double check everything is proper. Anecdotally, I would rather clean an extra dollop of grease that was used rather some bikes bearings that were found to be dang near bone dry when servicing.

Thanks very much all for the input, I had hoped it was normal even if not an everyday occurrence. The bike is fine, did about 400 miles on the TC today just to make sure. (y)

I checked my TC and did see a glob of yellowish grease just below the bearing. It appeared to be a case of excess drawn down by gravity over time. I wiped that glob off the steel frame and forgot about it.

Back