Read your manuals…

A couple of months ago I inquired on here how to turn my DRLs on. I had looked at my manual and could not find anything by looking in the glossary. No one on here could tell me how to do it either. I have a 2022 R18 bobber FE. I live in MI and left my manual at home. In Naples Fl sitting on my deck I pulled up the online manual and just started reading one page after the other and found the directions on page 36 and 37. I have a new Jeep wrangler down here and the printed manual is 460 pages. Who would read all that? Just saying you can’t know a lot of the features on a bike or car if you don’t scour these manuals pretty thoroughly. There are so many features on all this new stuff, you might not know how to access half of them. You might learn that you should throw out the anchor if you go into a sharp turn too hot and live through it!

Last edited:
Even with the huge manuals, the guidance is sorely lacking. Much of the text is obfuscated by worthless warnings. I also think these BMW techno nerds assume a lot of things should be intuitive. For them maybe.

Ending route guidance -

Call up menu Navigation (menu down, right tilt, right tilt, menu down) 4 inputs

Active route guidance. (menu down, right tilt) 2 inputs

Select and confirm End route guidance or tilt the Multi-Controller to the left. (Left tilt did not yield this result for me. Had to select using right tilt then confirm) 1 to 2 inputs.

Add however many inputs are required to return to whatever you had displayed before.

This process is, at most, two taps on the touchscreen in my truck.

A couple of months ago I inquired on here how to turn my DRLs on. I had looked at my manual and could not find anything by looking in the glossary. No one on here could tell me how to do it either. I have a 2022 R18 bobber FE. I live in MI and left my manual at home. In Naples Fl sitting on my deck I pulled up the online manual and just started reading one page after the other and found the directions on page 36 and 37. I have a new Jeep wrangler down here and the printed manual is 460 pages. Who would read all that? Just saying you can’t know a lot of the features on a bike or car if you don’t scour these manuals pretty thoroughly. There are so many features on all this new stuff, you might not know how to access half of them. You might learn that you should throw out the anchor if you go into a sharp turn too hot and live through it!
I am new to BMW ownership (2023 R18b) so I am not sure what DRLs are.....some other language peculiar to BMW, different names for type of machines, Hex head , oil head etc....any help would be appreciated. Kevi Fitz

So… how do you turn them on? 😁

No manual seems to be the modern way of things. Bought a new TV about a month ago (the one we had was a good 20 years old). So it arrived in a big box, I unpack it, no manual, curious? Switch it on and ……well it’s working but no picture? Complicated looking remote control but 🤷‍♂️.

After quite a bit of faffing about and asking round for help it turns out you have to synch the TV with Wi-Fi and using a Smartphone (that I don’t have or own) download the programmes! Found out later on there is also a ‘help to set up’ guide on the TV but you don’t know it’s there until after you get it working because there’s no bloody manual!!! 🤬

YouTube saved me tbh.

Took two days to get squared up, it’s now working ok. Need to go and lie down though Ive been triggered …..

Ending route guidance -

Call up menu Navigation (menu down, right tilt, right tilt, menu down) 4 inputs

Active route guidance. (menu down, right tilt) 2 inputs

Select and confirm End route guidance or tilt the Multi-Controller to the left. (Left tilt did not yield this result for me. Had to select using right tilt then confirm) 1 to 2 inputs.

Add however many inputs are required to return to whatever you had displayed before.

This process is, at most, two taps on the touchscreen in my truck.

Ugh, this BMW is tough like this. On the R18 it takes like 20 steps to adjust heated grips or heated seats.. On my Triumph it's one single button press.

I also downloaded a PDF of the manual from here:
BMW Motorcycle Manuals

As mentioned above, the R18 is under "Heritage" and not "R models" - who knows why...

I keep that PDF on my phone. I have one for all of my vehicles on my phone locally (in case I am out of data coverage) and also in the cloud for the family to access (but they never do - I just feel better that I put them there).

On the topic of DRLs though, Don't modern motorcycles have DRLs by default? At least in the USA - they always have their lights on. I am not sure what is meant by DRLs in this context.

Also funny - the download has two English options: English & American English. I am tempted to compare. haha
(I bet the American one has way more lawsuit prevention warnings, like "do not drink the oil" and "only operate motorcycle while awake" and "avoid impact with large objects")

The DRL is the grey bar that goes horizontally across the center of the headlight. You can set it so that is the only thing that lights up. If you go through a tunnel or enter darkness the low beam automatically comes on. Yes modern motorcycles headlights do come on when you start them but this is an extra option. If you watch any of the development videos of this bike, that is how they run them to look cool. I believe the transcontinental and a few others have a different headlight than the first editions.

Ugh, this BMW is tough like this. On the R18 it takes like 20 steps to adjust heated grips or heated seats.. On my Triumph it's one single button press.
Interesting....my '21 R18FE has a one button press for the heated grips on the right hand grip quadrant...adjust the grip temp by simply pressing the button...sure does not take 20 steps! I don't have a heated seat.

OK, just realized online manuals are somewhat different from each other, different things on different page numbers so my page 36 in original post means something else in some of them. Search R18 manual, then scroll down to Riders manual US model R18 BMW Motorrad. Under that click on Riders manual R18 and scroll down to page 46. If you followed directions well, you will be there!

Interesting....my '21 R18FE has a one button press for the heated grips on the right hand grip quadrant...adjust the grip temp by simply pressing the button...sure does not take 20 steps! I don't have a heated seat.
On the TC its all done through sub-menus on the TFT.

I have to navigate to settings (so that can be a few steps depending upon what screen I am on), then into Heating stuff, then select the component (Seat or grips), then go into the setting, then scroll to the value you want, then select "OK".

At a _minimum_ it is 5 actions, and requires looking at the screen.

Ironically, the pillion heated seat has its own button that the passenger just clicks on high or low.

The DRL is the grey bar that goes horizontally across the center of the headlight. You can set it so that is the only thing that lights up. If you go through a tunnel or enter darkness the low beam automatically comes on. Yes modern motorcycles headlights do come on when you start them but this is an extra option. If you watch any of the development videos of this bike, that is how they run them to look cool. I believe the transcontinental and a few others have a different headlight than the first editions.

Yeah, a separate DRL function is not a thing on the TC.

But the TC Adaptive Headlight does come equipped with ASD.

(Automated Self-Disassembly)

Back