Rear Bag Solution

the product you are asking about (on the 6 photos below) - Heritage QR rack with chrome rack cover for solo rider. It allows the installation of soft bags and small top-cases
IMG_9546.jpegIMG_9547.jpegIMG_9544.jpegIMG_9538.jpegIMG_9555.jpeg007A1045.JPG

If, however, you need to mount something larger, a larger top-case will be better (available in a version for 2 people or a solo rider) + mounting adapter for the top-case for this rack in the QR system (last photo)
IMG_0268 2.jpegIMG_0272.jpegIMG_0321.jpeg

I pop this on for the times when I need a bit of storage. It expands upwards and fits the contents of a backpack. Or, it fits a backpack packed with stuff.

I've taken to riding without the side bags for the most part.

IMG_4501.jpg

What do you use for attachment points on the R18?
You can run the straps under the pillion seat and rest the bag directly on the pillion seat similar to what tommymck showed with the sw-motech bag. I do that on my S1000R. On my R18 Classic, I replaced my pillion with a Wunderlich luggage rack & just strap direct to that. On my R75 & Vespa which both have a bench seat, I also put the straps under the seat. My GSA has a rack, so I attach to that.

Sorry for waking up an old thread here...

I don't yet own an R18, but am seriously considering buying one. In a few weeks, I'll be headed to LA and am renting a Classic from Hertzride to spend a week riding up and down the coast. One thing about the whole plan that needs some consideration is the luggage. My plan is to simply pack a tail bag as my carryon, strap it on when I get there. That way, I can take what I need for 7-days on the road without the issue of storing standard luggage. It's all intended to be a serious test ride, since I don't do long miles on my R9T (but love it for banging around town) and my R80 is great but will never be the torque monster I would like.

I've looks around quite a bit and have not seen anybody mounting something like a Kuryakyn Momentum Drifter Bag or a Saddlemen TS3200DE Deluxe Cruiser Tail Bag to one. I am thinking the Saddleman would just rest on top of the standard side bags, but thought I would run this idea by some current owners.

How nuts is this plan?

Sorry for waking up an old thread here...

I don't yet own an R18, but am seriously considering buying one. In a few weeks, I'll be headed to LA and am renting a Classic from Hertzride to spend a week riding up and down the coast. One thing about the whole plan that needs some consideration is the luggage. My plan is to simply pack a tail bag as my carryon, strap it on when I get there. That way, I can take what I need for 7-days on the road without the issue of storing standard luggage. It's all intended to be a serious test ride, since I don't do long miles on my R9T (but love it for banging around town) and my R80 is great but will never be the torque monster I would like.

I've looks around quite a bit and have not seen anybody mounting something like a Kuryakyn Momentum Drifter Bag or a Saddlemen TS3200DE Deluxe Cruiser Tail Bag to one. I am thinking the Saddleman would just rest on top of the standard side bags, but thought I would run this idea by some current owners.

How nuts is this plan?
The Classic has ~15.5 liters in each of the saddlebags. If you are hoteling, those may be enough. Bring your clothes in a compression sack & you can fit them in half a pannier.

That Saddleman is about 52 liters, giving you about 83 liters total. I just did a test pack for a 11 day camping off-road trip on my GS. I fit everything (including cook gear) in a 68 liter Giant Loop Great Basin saddlebag.

I’d thought of the Saddleman before I got my Classic. But once I got the bike and did test packs with the panniers, I found adding the Saddleman would be overkill. It really is huge (too big for carry on BTW).

Your idea of a tail bag as carry on is fine, but I’d go for something smaller that would be more flexible if you were to buy the bike. This is why I like the Kriega packs. They are modular and waterproof, I have 2 10L and 1 20L and can use them in any combo on any of my bikes. When not filled, they flatten down small to store.

I just did a 1 week work trip to London last week. Everything including laptop, tablet and dress clothes fit in a 42L carry on bag with room to spare. I’d suggest sizing what you need to carry for your trip to guide you on any extra bike luggage.

Thanks for the perspective. It is a large bag. I like how that model comes with a detachable backpack which would make it nearly within the FAA regs for a carryon. I think I'll need to review my packing list. I am hoteling or at an Air BNB each night, so no camping gear. I am going to be bringing a bit of tech gear to record parts of the trip, but other than that I'll have my riding gear, some minimal fresh essential garments, some non-riding pants/vans, middle layer for warmth, and toiletries. I have not decided between packing the riding gear and wearing as much of it as I can, so that would likely have a big effect on the luggage needs.

Other question: Any of these bags will have some form of nylon strap system to attach to the bike. Should I anticipate any issues with that?

Thanks for the perspective. It is a large bag. I like how that model comes with a detachable backpack which would make it nearly within the FAA regs for a carryon. I think I'll need to review my packing list. I am hoteling or at an Air BNB each night, so no camping gear. I am going to be bringing a bit of tech gear to record parts of the trip, but other than that I'll have my riding gear, some minimal fresh essential garments, some non-riding pants/vans, middle layer for warmth, and toiletries. I have not decided between packing the riding gear and wearing as much of it as I can, so that would likely have a big effect on the luggage needs.

Other question: Any of these bags will have some form of nylon strap system to attach to the bike. Should I anticipate any issues with that?
Depending on the bulk of the tech gear, what you described should be able to fit in the panniers alone. I usually carry a couple GoPros with assorted mounts and stuff. They take minimal space (use the stock GoPro case) ~5L.

The Kriega definitely comes with straps to attach to the bike. I believe the Saddlemen does as well, but I’ve not personally experienced. Worst case, get some RokStraps. You could probably fit all of your stuff in a 25-30L backpack to carry on the flight. Then move them into the panniers & either wear the backpack to carry anything you pick up on the trip, or fit it in the panniers.

Thanks for the help on this. Since I am flying from Chicago to LAX with everything, I don't think I can count on the panniers to get my stuff to the bike. :). I will certainly redistribute things once I am on the bike and have them as a resource though. Definitely need to put everything in one place and see how much I really need to accommodate.

Just ordered some RokStraps. No idea how I had never been aware of those, so thanks! As long as the R18 Classic will have decent points to fasten the straps, I should be fine then.

I sprung for the wunderlich rack for the tail. I never ride two up on this bike, and the rack itself looks like a /2 rack, which is actually nicer looking than the pillion seat.

In any case, the rack size works perfect with my tail bags for the R1250GS that have the hard plastic bottom with an indentation for the rack. Very nice and stable rear bag solution. I'll get another bag that looks better with the bike. While putting tail bag straps under the rear pillion worked, it required removing it, which was a pain.

r18 til bag.jpg

Back