Rear shock

All done . Test tomorrow . The hyperpro springs for the fork are 22mm shorter then Originals ! I don t like that . I ve installed them anyway . I will see how it rides on turns. The original spacer in the fork is 20cm long 38mm Diam for less then a mm thickness. I might increase that spacer length 22mm if needed.
The Black T (Hyprerpro) rear Shock is the same lenght as the BMW one .
In order to lift the bike i ve ordered the Hornig X518E for the rear . then i used a standard jack i have for the front bellow this Hornic frame . Works great .

First impression after first test drive . 50km on twisty road with some section very deteriorated. I don t know if i lost ground clearance but i did not feel it at all . Still firm ! Fork much better on routh pavement . i did use 2 of the 4 1mm spacers on rear Shock . I could have used none .
95KG fully dressed . I don t regret my buy at all . Plenty (too many) settings i have to play with which will improve the drive for sure.

After few days riding the bike . I am glad i did that move . I did not loose any ground clearance at all . I recommand . No need for any spacers for the rear shock . And for the fork springs, the manual is strange , the important values are on the back of the manual booklet. oil level in the tube, compressed without the Spring . Should be 13cm bellow the top of the tube . Since i did not know that value , i put the same oil volume which was in the fork originally. May be one day i ll check it , but since i don t feel the need as it rides great , it ll stay like that for the time being .

New shock finally showed up. I paid for it Aug 11. It came November 18.

Installation was easy. They sent me the wrong shock, it was supposed to fit with my original preload adjuster. For now I just set the sag to 12 mm with out me on the bike. It RIDES MUCH BETTER!
I took the wife to Letchworth state park. About a 200 mile ride for the day. No more sore back. It no longer throws me off the seat. Its MUCH better. The bike rocks a little when I hit the brakes or squats when I hit the throttle. I can bounce it a little at stop lights alone or with passenger.
The small bumps disappear, the big bumps are now small.

Still adjusting, now I am at
25 for Rebound
20 for low speed compression
25 for high speed compression

Recommended is
20 rebound
15 high speed compression
15 low speed compression

Still fine tuning, but what a difference.
Too bad BMW didn't include such a nice shock.
David

New shock finally showed up. I paid for it Aug 11. It came November 18.

Installation was easy. They sent me the wrong shock, it was supposed to fit with my original preload adjuster. For now I just set the sag to 12 mm with out me on the bike. It RIDES MUCH BETTER!
I took the wife to Letchworth state park. About a 200 mile ride for the day. No more sore back. It no longer throws me off the seat. Its MUCH better. The bike rocks a little when I hit the brakes or squats when I hit the throttle. I can bounce it a little at stop lights alone or with passenger.
The small bumps disappear, the big bumps are now small.

Still adjusting, now I am at
25 for Rebound
20 for low speed compression
25 for high speed compression

Recommended is
20 rebound
15 high speed compression
15 low speed compression

Still fine tuning, but what a difference.
Too bad BMW didn't include such a nice shock.
David
Hi David - is this the Same one from Touratech that PhilBret has installed ? Thanks for the feedback

I called Hyperpro before the buy . They provide touratech with the same product , only the color is different . the touratech is few mm longer then the original piece of s..t BWM sold us . :)
I installed the Black T stage 3 sold by touratech .

Just to know a few more things and consolidate all Options ..
question 1 ) are the TT / Hyperpro the only solution for shocks that provide plusher ride ? target is to protect trick lower back from shaking loose a disk 😵‍💫
Question 2) From the Harley experience of some years ago, changing the rear shocks on the Heritage changed the ride dynamics of the stock front shocks for the worse - lesson learned for me from that experience was, never change one set without matching the other - does this hold true for the R18 too ?

Question 3) any solutions from Wilbur / Arnots / Progressive for the R18 ?

I am looking to lower my R18. I came across this product but the product description doesn’t give any details.
Has any one here used this product IMG_4688.jpeg

They are just same old tube forks. Item 5 in the parts sheet says
"valve". Looks like the rest of the bikes I converted to Race Tech Emulators.

I put YSS valves in my forks with 10 wt fork oil.

I think the bike should have stiffer front springs. I can hit bottom. To fix that, I can turn the compression damp up. Rebound is good, 15 wt might improve, might be too much.

Before it only used 2.25 inches of the 4 inches of front suspension. It was stiff!

As said above I have the stock rear spring on the new shock. It rides great. Had a 200+ Lb passenger. We touched bottom a few times. I changed nothing, he just got on. The bike is set up for just me. 180 lbs.

I can ride over fresh milled street and its smooth. Amazing

David

Back