Remember keyless ride

Just got around 4000 km on my R18 Classic visiting my dad . After my second shot of Corona injection and 32 C outside (Calculate Fahrenheit yourself) I attempted to start the bike without success. 4 strange redline strings appeared on the display. I called he dealer to solve the mistery. Due to the heat I took off the jacket and had the key outside of range. 40 years of motorbiking still makes you doing stupid things and wonder sometimes :)

I did another one sligthly different . arrived at the shop , took off my jacket and Helmet , put all together in top case and side case and left. after sometime I realized anybody could have started the bike and leave with it . The Key was in my jacket in the side bag !! :rolleyes:

Hy SwissKnife,

if you realise to be stupid, there is hope i think.
I have pushed a friend up a hill from a farry, after his bike don`t start.
To late we realised the emegency stop is off. The classic mistake.

I cant await to cruise to switzerland in a month or so.
I will call it "alpentouRevolution". Revolution stands for the new R18.
I have met some nice people in swiss the last years. For example "Trompenen Siggi".🎺

Yes, the key can be a little less than optimal. I've had it not work if in a jacket pocket but work fine if in my jeans pocket. The reception seems to be measured in inches.

Color me "old fart", but if it were an option, I would have NOTHING that doesn't use a common metal key in a slot. Unfortunatley both my cars and both of my motorcycles are "keyless". Ahhhh for the good old days when you could have a key duplicated so that you not only had a spare or three, but you could stash one someplace hidden on the vehicle for emergencies.

Hy SwissKnife,

if you realise to be stupid, there is hope i think.
I have pushed a friend up a hill from a farry, after his bike don`t start.
To late we realised the emegency stop is off. The classic mistake.

I cant await to cruise to switzerland in a month or so.
I will call it "alpentouRevolution". Revolution stands for the new R18.
I have met some nice people in swiss the last years. For example "Trompenen Siggi".🎺
Trompeten Siggi gave up due to too many restrictions for trumpets in the stadiums. But neverethless the Swiss selection of national team seams to make it one round further in Euro 2020 :)

I agree that the motion alarm was not well documented. I had those same 3 red lights blinking and couldn't figure out what was going on. I finally realized what had happened: I had stood the bike up and was moving it around without the key, then put it back on the stand, and went to get the key in my house. When I came back with key in hand, the bike just kept showing those red lights. I let it sit for around 10 minutes and then I could get the bike to start. It seems the motion detector alarm has a lock out timer for a certain amount of time.

Push the center button (BMW) on the fob to dis arm the alarm.

Push the other button (arrow) to arm it and watch the lights blink.

I tried the spare key a few times. You either have to take the seat off or find a way to get
the spare key over the signal receiver. I used a short piece of tig rod (coat hanger) with a loop, so I can
slide the key in place with out taking the seat off.

My spare key worked through the stock BMW seat as well as the replacement Mustang Day Riders seat. Just had to get it in the right position.

Back