Reverse gear issue

Mark

Anyone having problems disengaging the reverse gear? My reverse gear sticks and won't get back to neutral easily (a lot of pushing and rocking the bike) after reversing up a slope. Anyone have similar issue? The BMW mechanic can't figure it out.

I have had it stick once or twice, but I have also learned that you cannot have any load on it. There is a slight incline from my driveway to garage and it would do the same.

How necessary or frequently do you actually use or require reverse? I had it and used it on my LTE but it was over 900 pounds and had a relatively high seat. The bike I have ordered does not have it. I don’t pick it up till April so…

Interesting. I suspect that the engagement of the electric reverse is done with a Bendix type of device. With a Bendix drive a gear is moved on a shaft to engage an adjoining gear. In such a system, if the two engaged gears retain a gear-to-gear load, they may "stick" together even after the Bendix drive has been disengaged. In that case, I would expect that the "fix" may be a matter of disengaging the reverse control and, while the transmission is in neutral, momentarily engaging the clutch (lever OUT) before engaging first gear.
I may also be entirely wrong, but the above certainly can't do any harm.

Interesting. I suspect that the engagement of the electric reverse is done with a Bendix type of device. With a Bendix drive a gear is moved on a shaft to engage an adjoining gear. In such a system, if the two engaged gears retain a gear-to-gear load, they may "stick" together even after the Bendix drive has been disengaged. In that case, I would expect that the "fix" may be a matter of disengaging the reverse control and, while the transmission is in neutral, momentarily engaging the clutch (lever OUT) before engaging first gear.
Yup, that has worked for me. The transmission must be in (N)eutral first to engage the (R)everse gear. I have found that if it sticks in (R)everse, I engage and disengage the clutch lever and then it come back to (N)eutral pretty easily.

Last edited:
I have had it stick once or twice, but I have also learned that you cannot have any load on it. There is a slight incline from my driveway to garage and it would do the same.
Yep - that makes sense. Just have to pick the right places to try reversing I guess.

How necessary or frequently do you actually use or require reverse? I had it and used it on my LTE but it was over 900 pounds and had a relatively high seat. The bike I have ordered does not have it. I don’t pick it up till April so…
The first edition weighs 345 kg - and I'm a short guy - so maybe three or four times over the last 3000 km

The reverse on the R18 works off the starter motor - so clutch in/out doesn't make a difference. Just doesn't like to disengage under load (slope)

Yup, that has worked for me. The transmission must be in (N)eutral first to engage the (R)everse gear. I have found that if it sticks in (R)everse, I engage and disengage the clutch lever and then it come back to (N)eutral pretty easily.
Will definitely use the clutch in and out next time thanks.

The reverse on the R18 works off the starter motor - so clutch in/out doesn't make a difference. Just doesn't like to disengage under load (slope)
Here's something that I have just learned while perusing a web site showing the R18 parts diagrams. In the category of "for what it's worth", the reverse system doesn't use the starter motor. It has it's own electric motor to power the bike backwards. So Mark's issue with reverse may not be as simple as insuring that the tranny is "unloaded".

Anyone having problems disengaging the reverse gear? My reverse gear sticks and won't get back to neutral easily (a lot of pushing and rocking the bike) after reversing up a slope. Anyone have similar issue? The BMW mechanic can't figure it out.
Hi yes somtimes at the beginning.. not now. Just moved it a couples of feets and it’s works for me.

The first edition weighs 345 kg - and I'm a short guy - so maybe three or four times over the last 3000 km
I have to manoeuvre the R18 forwards and back in a small front patio to get align it with the gate but never felt the need for the reverse.I'm quite tall and weigh over 17st so although the old girl is heavy its manageable. Its nice to know that the reverse is there though if needed.

Here's something that I have just learned while perusing a web site showing the R18 parts diagrams. In the category of "for what it's worth", the reverse system doesn't use the starter motor. It has it's own electric motor to power the bike backwards. So Mark's issue with reverse may not be as simple as insuring that the tranny is "unloaded".
Great detective work. Looks like short arse riders like myself will just have to keep reversing until we get to a flat surface!

Great detective work. Looks like short arse riders like myself will just have to keep reversing until we get to a flat surface!
Every article I've read about the Reverse Assist states that it is powered by the starter motor. The Reverse is driven by an intermediate gear and the starter motor.

Yep. And just to make us scratch our heads a bit more, the description of the backup motor says "starter" for $837.97. The actual starter motor has a bendix yoke and solenoid attached and it calls the solenoid a "starter".

Attachments

• BackupMotor.pdf
    66.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Starter Motor.pdf
    58.8 KB · Views: 9
Back