Reverse Gear

Nope it won't .. I tried. The reverse setup appears to be after the clutch ... oddly enough
Huh...

I'll be damned... What sort of black magic sorcery is BMW up to here?!?!?!

I just came in myself, key in hand, typing this. The clutch has NO effect on reverse gear!

I've been wrong before, and I'm certainly man enough to admit that I'm wrong yet again.

Mike

Huh...

I'll be damned... What sort of black magic sorcery is BMW up to here?!?!?!

I just came in myself, key in hand, typing this. The clutch has NO effect on reverse gear!

I've been wrong before, and I'm certainly man enough to admit that I'm wrong yet again.

Mike
All good ... I had to try it first too ;) ... I can't believe that all them gears must be AFTER the clutch in that gearbox somewhere ... really odd. I hope I don't ever have to work on the inside of that gearbox ... makes a ratchet top look like a child's game.
Screen Shot 2023-09-08 at 3.43.14 PM.png

Back to my suggestion. I tried it again. My Driveway is on an incline, I leave the bike in gear all the time.

Today I put it in reverse KEY OFF. I rolled down the hill backwards. I stopped in the middle, took it out of reverse, put it back in.

Did it again motor running.

Turned the bike around, backed it up my drive way and repeated above. No matter how I did it, Hold the brake, count to 10 or so it comes out of gear. If you leave tension on it, like on a hill, good luck. The thing that keeps it from popping out of gear is going to keep it there as long as there is tension.

I have cursed mine, but in the end, hold the brake, take a deep breath, disengage with other hand that is not holding the brake.

Don't bother getting pissed off.
The harder you try, the harder it will take.

David

I use my Reverse Gear after every ride, as I have to back my bike into the garage which is slightly uphill and then it transitions slightly downhill; I rock my bike slightly forward (pushing it now uphill) and quickly squeeze the front brake to hold the bike and to release any tension on the Reverse gear.

If I don't remove the weight of the bike in the form of tension on the reverse gear, it's basically going to be stuck in Reverse... the trick is to remove the tension or the weight of the bike on the Reverse Gear.
I tried this and it worked like magic - It seems that, whatever the mechanical setup is, on my bike (others may be different), if there's any "load" on the reverse gear, it's nearly impossible to release. If I roll it forward, after using it, thereby taking the load off, it works ever time, with minimal effort.

Thanks all - problem solved (for me, at least)

Back