Reverse went out

EricD

1600 miles on the TC…while using reverse it simply crapped out. Has anyone else had reverse stop working? Come Tuesday I will be scheduling a service call with my BMW shop.

Nope and I have a sidecar attached.One thing you might check,make sure it is really in gear by rocking it a bit.In a forward and back motion while slipping the lever in place.
Also,the reverse will quit if you are pushing starter button intermittently(on & off).On mine when I am coming out of the garage I have to make sure I hold the starter button on till I am completely out and on the driveway.
Hope that helps.
TK

Happened to me once at around 130 miles, after letting it sit for a few minutes it started working again. In all fairness I was bumping it and not holding it down properly. Never had an issue again.

Check that none of the below conditions were met to invoke the cancellation of the reverse function; I had an issue during the first couple of weeks of ownership, I think I had applied the brake which caused the system to be canceled (Haven't had an issues since, I use it every-time I return from a ride to get the bike backed into the garage):

Automatic cancellation
Reversing is canceled automatically
:
if the gradient is too steep
if there is an obstacle
if the reversing motor overheats
if the side stand is folded out
if the brake is applied
R will blink in the display if reversing is canceled.

I do recall that the reverse light was blinking after I lost reverse. I rocked the bike back and forth and took it out of reverse and then back into reverse and still had no reverse. When I got home from the ride I tried reverse in my driveway…no dice, no reverse. After reading the replies I went out and started the bike and tried reverse….and it worked for me! Thank you all for the help it is much appreciated.

I do recall that the reverse light was blinking after I lost reverse. I rocked the bike back and forth and took it out of reverse and then back into reverse and still had no reverse. When I got home from the ride I tried reverse in my driveway…no dice, no reverse. After reading the replies I went out and started the bike and tried reverse….and it worked for me! Thank you all for the help it is much appreciated.
No worries.The R18 has a personnality and there is a bit of a learning curve.Plus,I had a loose nut behind the handlebars(ME) but my wife helped me figure that out.Problem solved.:LOL:

No worries.The R18 has a personnality and there is a bit of a learning curve.Plus,I had a loose nut behind the handlebars(ME) but my wife helped me figure that out.Problem solved.:LOL:
LOL ... first time I tried mine I thought it was broken as well .. had the kickstand down duhh :rolleyes:

well today at 495 miles my reverse is completely out.. tried about 15 times and it only worked once.. sometimes the R is solid and it still does nothing.. sometimes as soon as I switch the lever its flashing R.. any ideas>> ?? at 495 miles and its a 2021... wonder what it going to cost.

So I do have warranty for another 2 months... im on the phone with the dealer and they say its most likely the control unit for reverse :unsure:

I have noticed that when you flip it to reverse. There is like a second ‘notch’ you have to push into, like a centimeter further.

Yea I would say it’s like a little play at the end of the travel.. but it’s bounces back anyways.. I’ve tried to be a little more rough and even slapping it into that R position quicker or slower.. no difference… the other thing that makes me believe this is a module or electrical failure is that some times the R blinks and sometimes it doesn’t but in both situations it doesn’t work…. Also the dealer said they have done 2 so far… well my appointment is set for a month from now :cry:

Anyone know if the reverse has its own control module? Also did anyone get an extended warranty?
Not as far as I know of. It's just the starter motor and actually a REAL reverse gear mechanism in the gearbox!

Reverse Gear Microfiche R18.png

For me? I use my reverse gear SPARINGLY! After all...it is my STARTER motor after all! I still try parking as if I didn't have a reverse gear at all.

Mike

I see… well then I’m guessing the module that controls the actuation of the starter.. which would be simple but I don’t know… I guess let’s see what story the dealer comes up with.

Amigos, I took my R18 FE to the BMW Motorrad dealer I bought it from earlier in the week. I bought the bike ≈2 years ago. It was manufactured July 2020. Model: K34 R 18
Reverse gear has never worked consistently from the day I picked it up. The bike has been ridden a little more than 5,000 km. Not thrashed, just regular krrruising about South Eastern Queensland (Australia) sealed roads and curvy hilly roads. Seldom in the rain.

SYMPTOMS
  • Push the lever down to engage reverse gear and it won’t stay down completely. Typically the R on the dash will then flash. No reverse movement when the start button is depressed.
  • Periodically, if one holds the lever down firmly, and depress the start button, reverse will engage.
  • On the driveway of my home which has a downwards sloping driveway to the road, the bike refuses to engage reverse, to enable me to back up to the garage. A tad annoying… all things considered.
In any case, a few weeks back one forum I read suggested taking das Bavarian Krrrruiser back to the dealer. Finally did that.

Guess what ?
Turns out there’s a service bulletin / advice from the BMW Motorrad factory.
The local dealer was very good about it. They took the bike for a few hours and performed the recommended tests to validate the wiring harnesses, sensors & switches were not at fault. These all checked out as functioning correctly.
Advice from the dealer’s service manager: Replace Transmission. Say what ? Yes, you read right the first time.... REPLACE TRANSMISSION
He further explained this is major surgery for the bike. Not entirely surprising, but surprising nevertheless as I thought maybe it might be a replacement cam, or spring … but Transmission ? No I didn’t expect that.
So, those of you struggling to get reverse gear may be suffering the same condition as my bike. Reading between the lines, if riders have more recent versions of the bike, maybe the engineers have made design changes to address this functional design defect.
The local dealer stated there were no transmissions in Australia at present, and therefore expect a delay while they source one.
Those suffering similar symptoms with the reverse gear having a mind of its own may benefit from having a chat with your dealer while it’s still in the warranty period.
Will report once the transmission is replaced.
Take care!

Yea I read this.. my lever stays down though.. also I forgot to mention that when I put the lever back in the normal position the R takes time to disappear. Like 15 seconds or more. That’s why I’m leaning more towards software / a control problem vs a mechanical issue..

Back