Revsrse to 1st gear

I think I’m doing something wrong! The manual explains how to do this process, but the bike does not like it. Anybody else had any gremlins with reverse?
Hi, can you provide a but more detail on what you're experiencing?
It's unclear to me as I never use reverse unless the bike is in neutral. Therefore, I never go from reverse to 1st. I go from neutral to reverse, reverse to neutral, then neutral to 1st gear.
I hope I'm not being pedantic and stating something obvious to you.
Regards!

Last edited:
Search "Reverse Gear", there's already a couple of threads on this topic; I typically search the forum for a particular topic before starting a new thread:

It sounds like you're having an issue getting your bike out of Reverse, after moving your bike.

I use my Reverse Gear after every ride, as I have to back my bike into the garage which is slightly uphill and then it transitions slightly downhill; I rock my bike slightly forward (pushing it now uphill) and quickly squeeze the front brake to hold the bike and to release any tension on the Reverse gear.

If I don't remove the weight of the bike in the form of tension on the reverse gear, it's basically going to be stuck in Reverse... the trick is to remove the tension or the weight of the bike on the Reverse Gear.

Hi, can youprovide a but more detail on what you're experiencing?
It's unclear to me as I never use reverse unless the bike is in neutral. Therefore, I never go from reverse to 1st. I gi from neutral to reverse, reverse to neutral, then neutral to 1st gear.
I hope I'm not being pedantic and stating something obvious to you.
Regards!
Thanks Cu, I appreciate the reply. So, it goes into reverse with ease and operates exactly pursuant to spec. But, when I try to move the lever from reverse to normal, it won’t budge. The lever that is. This is on normal gradients. sounds like I have to manhandle the bike a bit to get it to work? Anyone else experiencing this?

Do you have 'tension' against the gearbox when you try to disengage? (on a hill etc.) ... I found if there is any tension the lever does not want to move.

I’ve seen where some have to rock the bike a bit forward to release the weight of the bike against the gear I’m assuming, only happened to me once or twice. I’ve had my fair share of reverse problems but now all resolved but I’m also out of warranty now 🥹

I’ve seen where some have to rock the bike a bit forward to release the weight of the bike against the gear I’m assuming, only happened to me once or twice. I’ve had my fair share of reverse problems but now all resolved but I’m also out of warranty now 🥹
I’m 3 months away from warranty expiring! Any tips on what to check for in advance of running out?

Yea I bought mine late 2022 with 89 miles on it. I’m only at 695 now… honestly most the problems come up early I’ve noticed. Just keep up with the maint and use quality parts. Can’t just take it to the dealer in hopes to find a problem that not there or a problem that will show up in the future. Just use it as much as you can.

Yea I bought mine late 2022 with 89 miles on it. I’m only at 695 now… honestly most the problems come up early I’ve noticed. Just keep up with the maint and use quality parts. Can’t just take it to the dealer in hopes to find a problem that not there or a problem that will show up in the future. Just use it as much as you can.
Absolutely. I tend to do around 10k miles a year. So will use it to max whilst Warranty in place!

Search "Reverse Gear", there's already a couple of threads on this topic; I typically search the forum for a particular topic before starting a new thread:

It sounds like you're having an issue getting your bike out of Reverse, after moving your bike.

I use my Reverse Gear after every ride, as I have to back my bike into the garage which is slightly uphill and then it transitions slightly downhill; I rock my bike slightly forward (pushing it now uphill) and quickly squeeze the front brake to hold the bike and to release any tension on the Reverse gear.

If I don't remove the weight of the bike in the form of tension on the reverse gear, it's basically going to be stuck in Reverse... the trick is to remove the tension or the weight of the bike on the Reverse Gear.
Exactly. 👍

Thanks Scott. New to the thread so still finding my way around. Great tip and I’m grateful

Thanks Cu, I appreciate the reply. So, it goes into reverse with ease and operates exactly pursuant to spec. But, when I try to move the lever from reverse to normal, it won’t budge. The lever that is. This is on normal gradients. sounds like I have to manhandle the bike a bit to get it to work? Anyone else experiencing this?
Hi Jason,
By all means get it checked out for piece of mind at your dealer but it sounds normal to me, I use my reverse every time getting my bike out of the garage across gravel and slight slope. I rock my bike to ‘release’ the lever. You soon get the knack of it and it becomes second nature, don’t even think about doing it tbh. It’s just the weight of the machine binding against the cog mechanism, on perfectly flat ground I doubt there would be any such effect, but on perfectly flat ground you wouldn’t need reverse anyway 🤷‍♂️

Back