Ride quality: R 18 vs Classic

Is there a big difference in ride quality? I'm trying to make up my mind between R 18 and Classic. Does classic with its thick front tire provide more smoother ride?

Thanks,
Jay

The wider front tire does handle a bit slower.And rides just a bit better, I like it.The fact that you get the windshield & bags is a real plus.The windshield removes easily and you also get the added spot lights.
Although,if you get the 19 inch front 120 tire it could be replaced with a 130x60-19.This is the same width & highth as a 130x80-16.
Hope this helps.

Cheers mate. So if I didn’t care for the bags or windshield, I could go for stock R 18 and replace the front tire with thicker sidewall aftermarket ones?

Cheers mate. So if I didn’t care for the bags or windshield, I could go for stock R 18 and replace the front tire with thicker sidewall aftermarket ones?
I think if it really matters to you the only way to be sure is find a dealer with both versions, go in person to take a look and ideally ride them back to back. See what you prefer. Both look great to me, I went R18FE simply because of availability (to me) and right place right time. It’s great and I have no complaints whatsoever about how it handles. I did my due diligence and just adjust my riding style and pace to suit it especially in very slow turns/corners (no,peg scraping). As R18C says I expect any difference will be minimal because of what it is, a 350kg very wide very low slung cruiser and while it’s no doubt possible I expect buying replacement wheels etc for an R18 will be eye wateringly expensive.

The 130x60-19 would be a lower profile but measure the same width as the 130x90-16 and jsut as tall.Yes a little larger than the 120x70-19.
The Classic has spokes there is mag wheels available on the FE.

I personally don't see much difference in handling. I've even ridden them back-to-back when I got a loaner standard while they were sorting out the firmware upgrade on my classic. While the screen and bags are nice, I usually ride without them. To me, the deciding factor is the exhaust. I personally don't like the fish tail pipes of the standard. If I did, I'd have definitely gone for that. I do like the extra lights, but not enough to justify the purchase.

I love me Classic man!! Rides great, you just got to put a good 2k on the tires to scuff em' up....so they stick better. Them Michy C3s will last a long time assuming proper inflation.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1666190353850.jpg
    FB_IMG_1666190353850.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 10
I’ve ridden all variants, even back to back. The Classic with the thicker sidewall is slightly more compliant over bumps than the Pure. Keep in mind the overall diameter of the Pure & Classic tires are the same, but the wheel size is different. So the steering geometry is the same. I wouldn’t buy a new wheel & tire for the Pure for the slight improvement.

Most of the year, my Classic doesn’t have the bags or windshield on it & looks almost like the Pure, just the exhaust and driving lights are the most noticeable differences. Some like the more traditional exhaust on the Classic better. The windshield is literally 30 seconds to swap. The bags are <10 minutes. But, if I want to take a trip or pick something up, the bags are nice to have. In colder riding weather, the windshield is great to have.

To me the convertible nature of the Classic wins unless you really love the exhaust on the Pure. The savings over adding a windshield or bags (limited due to Pure exhaust) to a Pure later makes the Classic a bargain too. The driving lights are a great addition for night riding and improved visibility.

for me, the front wheel from the Classic does the biggest job. That's why I put them on my FE. I like the »CRUISE« windshield from Wunderlich much more than the one in Classic and the original bags are not very stable and not the best quality. That's why it's probably better to choose your additives based on FE - that's my subjective opinion

Back