RSD valve trim question

Just asking anyone who has these, do they install hard up against the chrome valve cover? Or is there a gasket or stand-off to protect the chrome underneath (seeing chrome scratches so easily).

The bike I’m buying has them fitted, I’m not big on them but won’t see the bike until sept, planning on taking them off but I’m worried the chrome covers underneath will be damaged.

I have not mounted mine yet, the backside is very smooth but does have a bit of an edge at the outside. The backside does have the black coating on it. I have not yet looked at how tightly they fit the contour of the chrome cover.

I have not mounted mine yet, the backside is very smooth but does have a bit of an edge at the outside. The backside does have the black coating on it. I have not yet looked at how tightly they fit the contour of the chrome cover.
Ah so they are just metal on metal.. shame, I think no matter what they’ll mark the chrome.

If it is a R18FE, don’t know if that matters or not…and you want to trade yours for like new value chrome covers let me know. I am picking up my new R18 later in Sept (else having it shipped to FL or NC/GA). Provided the ones on the bike you are getting are in like new condition.

I am having the bmw chrome engine guard installed plus the toaster grills (aka Leg Rest), that is a lot of chrome all in one place so your RSD value covers would break up the chrome look a bit.

Could place a very thin cloth between them to protect the metal or maybe just electrical tape.

Electrical tape won’t cut it when engine gets hot. I used thin fiber washers (7mm or 1/4” hole) between the valve cover and the trim. They’ll take the heat and the bolts can still be torqued to spec. Also adds a little extra margin so there is no metal-to-metal contact at all.

Just asking anyone who has these, do they install hard up against the chrome valve cover? Or is there a gasket or stand-off to protect the chrome underneath (seeing chrome scratches so easily).

The bike I’m buying has them fitted, I’m not big on them but won’t see the bike until sept, planning on taking them off but I’m worried the chrome covers underneath will be damaged.
I put them on my bike. Save or sell them. The nicer of the two styles the machined ones were 600 dollars for two. They go on and off easy. Just put the screws back in th holes. That's how mine came from the factory. Had to break up all that chrome a little.

Hello Mr. Mow,
Could you post a pic of your bike with the valve cover trim on?

Back