Screen and rear shock

motoring

1. So I picked up a MadStad screen. Had taken the bike there and they had already made the screen per my order, in case I wanted it. Had told them I wanted to drop by prior to make it to confirm height and tint. Anyway, it seems a good height and liked the light tint (first grade of tint). Came back in the car later and picked up the box with all the stuff in it.
  2. Next, while working to ensure I did not dent my tank I went ahead and did so ever so slightly…well actually a lite scratch in the paint. I can take my fingernail and feel it, seems light it goes right into the metal and past any paint and clear coat else just seems that way. Maybe the bottom of a ratch Handel will do that. It is a hairline scratch though of course as the owner I can spot it right away.
  3. Next I went and installed the screen. First issue was the L brackets were like about 1” from the U-shaped headlight bracket one installs. That seemed weird to me but I called and seems it was ’ok’. So I screwed the two brackets together. Then the Lower bracket for the Lowers I also purchased had all four screws on the bracket backwards (unless I am mistaken). Have not even connected the lowers yet because…
    When I went to place the screen with the four screws on the bike the two on one side lined up with that side bracket. Though the screws on the other side are line 1” off so there is no way to mount the screen.
    I purchased from MadStad before, they are good people and I feel take pride in their work so am certain it will get sorted out…once they figure out what got screwed up. Don’t know, maybe I am only the 2nd, 3rd or 4th R18 owner to order from them for this bike. Just sort of sucks after the tank scratch (guess I know the bike now lol), it would have been nice for the screen to install at the end.
  4. Turned the rear shock 10 full turns (if I recall correctly), too bummed and hot to want to ride now plus a bit pissed about doing the scratch thing. Will wait to hear from them though it is Friday and they are closed Saturday so figure next week they will call. Darn, had hoped to ride with the new screen and lowers … :(

The first scratch is always the hardest. ☹️ Coincidentally, when installing my new windshield a torx bit fell off my ratchet and landed on the front fender nicking the paint. Luckily I'm getting a new full-length aluminum fender which will have a new paint job already on it. I've learned always put a towel over your tank or fenders when doing any kind of work replacing windshields.

I hear that…was putting the pillow on the tank as it happened lol. I did get the screen to mount in the brackets after speaking with MadStad though there are various concerns I have with tilt and range of movement. I emailed MadStad to share my concerns though it may not be until later in November that I can get back down to their shop.

My slim profile bike is no more sadly. I like the tint color, it is the lightest offered, though sort of wonder if that makes one see reflections more than one would if screen was clear in color. Guess likewise maybe one would not notice the screen as much if clear instead of with a tint…hum.

I do have a MRA screen, it is a little two screen setup one in front of the other and will see if I can mount that on the bike with the top madstad brackets left in place to try out the MRA screen (Removing the Madstad top screen first). Then can try the MRA without the MadStad lowers just to compare. If I can change them at will I might be ok with that though will need to see just how bad it looks with the Madstad top brackets left in place with the MRA screen. Probably not pretty but will see.

Beyond the size of the screen and lowers the top MadStad bracket itself is a bit of a slight…not per say pretty though understand they only had what they had to work with since it is an R18. The brackets they designed and way they are attached is a clean setup and retains the use of original R18 bolts. I sort of worried about having less thread screwed into the headlight bracket and handlebar but figure they know how to design things :)

Attachments

• A50F61DB-1B29-499D-BC9D-B3C2547B4DE8.jpeg
    A50F61DB-1B29-499D-BC9D-B3C2547B4DE8.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 15
  • 73F5A667-906E-4853-9C4E-1E7280F7C55F.jpeg
    73F5A667-906E-4853-9C4E-1E7280F7C55F.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 15
  • E4CF81BB-EF94-481F-9221-8DF6F5E1D759.jpeg
    E4CF81BB-EF94-481F-9221-8DF6F5E1D759.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
A quick ride before sunset with the new screen and over a few manhole covers. Not long enough to know for certain but initial feeling is the screen and lowers are a nice combo and the change from 0 to 10 turns on the rear suspension was of some help. My lower back did not feel a direct zap from the slow speed riding over the manhole covers. Guess will leave it at 10 turns for time being and currently . My current weigh is about 220+/-.

Back