Security - What do you do to lock up your R18

Slotheadslim

I've been talking to Lockitt.com about chains and locks. I'm interested in a 16mm Pragmasis Protector Boron chain paired with an Abus Granit 37RK/80 padlock to either lock the front wheel to the frame or lock the frame to a floor anchor. I know the floor anchor is a better choice but the front of the bike is resting against the outside wall of the garage, in an alarmed house, it's between two cars with alarms, the bike has the built-in BMW alarm and the police station is 1/4 mile down at the end of my street. I'm thinking if someone can get past all of those things and they can break the lock or pick up an 800lb motorcycle I'm probably not going to stop them. Since the bike wheel is against a wall, if I can secure the bilke from being backed up that might be good enough.

Looking around, the chain might fit between the engine and the frame right behind the front wheel. Another location is to drop a chain near the swingarm and go around the pipe to tie it to a floor anchor. A different option they suggested was to use an anit-pinch pin through an area of the frame https://lockitt.com/Pragmasis-Anti-Pinch-Pin.html through a floor anchor and then it's held together by a padlock. There is a spot right under the seat and in front of the back wheel to slide in the anti-pinch pin. I know there are disc locks too and I will probably buy one as well for when the bike is away from home.

Is anyone using a chain with a floor anchor or an anti-pinch pin to secure your bike? If so where is the chain routing for locking it up?

Thanks,

Tom

I've been talking to Lockitt.com about chains and locks. I'm interested in a 16mm Pragmasis Protector Boron chain paired with an Abus Granit 37RK/80 padlock to either lock the front wheel to the frame or lock the frame to a floor anchor. I know the floor anchor is a better choice but the front of the bike is resting against the outside wall of the garage, in an alarmed house, it's between two cars with alarms, the bike has the built-in BMW alarm and the police station is 1/4 mile down at the end of my street. I'm thinking if someone can get past all of those things and they can break the lock or pick up an 800lb motorcycle I'm probably not going to stop them. Since the bike wheel is against a wall, if I can secure the bilke from being backed up that might be good enough.

Looking around, the chain might fit between the engine and the frame right behind the front wheel. Another location is to drop a chain near the swingarm and go around the pipe to tie it to a floor anchor. A different option they suggested was to use an anit-pinch pin through an area of the frame https://lockitt.com/Pragmasis-Anti-Pinch-Pin.html through a floor anchor and then it's held together by a padlock. There is a spot right under the seat and in front of the back wheel to slide in the anti-pinch pin. I know there are disc locks too and I will probably buy one as well for when the bike is away from home.

Is anyone using a chain with a floor anchor or an anti-pinch pin to secure your bike? If so where is the chain routing for locking it up?

Thanks,

Tom
Damn, son, where do you park your bike? Afghanistan? Move to a safer neighborhood.

Damn, son, where do you park your bike? Afghanistan? Move to a safer neighborhood.
Usually I’d laugh at that joke but my daughter and son-in-law are with the 82nd Airborne trying to get our people out of there. I’m not touchy, offended or any of the other crap but please let’s not go there. I come here so I don’t have to talk about that place.

I actually think my setup is probably similar to a lot of people. Parking between two cars that have alarms, the alarm on the bike and the alarm in the house isn’t unusual. I just got lucky with the police station being down the road. I actually live in a pretty rural area which is very safe. There is no reason for me to move.

I have always locked up my bike, usually by disc lock. This time considering the cost of the bike, a heavy duty chain and lock works for me. I’m hoping someone uses one and has some input.

Thanks,

Tom

Usually I’d laugh at that joke but my daughter and son-in-law are with the 82nd Airborne trying to get our people out of there. I’m not touchy, offended or any of the other crap but please let’s not go there. I come here so I don’t have to talk about that place.

I actually think my setup is probably similar to a lot of people. Parking between two cars that have alarms, the alarm on the bike and the alarm in the house isn’t unusual. I just got lucky with the police station being down the road. I actually live in a pretty rural area which is very safe. There is no reason for me to move.

I have always locked up my bike, usually by disc lock. This time considering the cost of the bike, a heavy duty chain and lock works for me. I’m hoping someone uses one and has some input.

Thanks,

Tom
Good grief! This makes twice now I’ve felt like I’ve had to defend Black Dog (and doing so feels indefensible LOL) but he wasn’t slamming anybody’s family or their military service or trying to make someone think of a bad place. He was simply making a joke that “offended” somebody…apparently you in this case. He wrote what probably many of us were already thinking…”Where does this guy live?”, meaning he was questioning why the theft of your particular bike in your particular neighborhood appears so imminent. There are much easier target bikes to steal… my R18 is the newest bike I own and IMHO the least likely to be stolen, if for no other reason ( I have several reasons) it appears that not too many people even want one! Sorry to butt in but all of the “offended” in our world today are starting to offend my sense of common respect and understanding. Black Dog, if you’re reading this…

Don't mean to hijack this but,

I got into a heated argument on another forum site years ago.I said something about the little woman (my girlfriend at the time).This lunitic scolded me on disrespecting women.I got all crazy and felt I should not have to apologize just because he was married to a 300 pound hippo.Anyway,I got shamed & kicked off the site,LOL!
I am glad we can ignore folks on this forum after we see how they respond to questions.I am sure there is quite a bit of wisdom from all here.I will miss some of it and feel better at the same time.I do try my damnedest not to be a hater....
Remember:
"its nice to be important but its more important to be nice"

Oh if I get kicked off this site,I want a refund,LOL!

Regards,Tom

Thanks,

Tom
"I’m not touchy, offended or any of the other crap but please let’s not go there. I come here so I don’t have to talk about that place."??????

I have visited the favelas of Rio and elsewhere in Brazil, taking car loads of soccer balls and baby dolls passing them out to the little kids playing in the dirt roads.
I was with a civil action unit in Viet Nam actually lived in the village with the locals.
Was with India company 3rd bn 1st Marines the the night of Dec 24th 1969, 9:30 pm look that up.
I was with 2nd Bn 26th Marines in1968, look that up, on Green Beach Chu Lai operation Brave Armada, in 69 when the first moon landed was made, In Al Jabal, Saudi Arabia 90-91, was in the barracks in Dhahran 2 days before the skud missile hit a killed those from the Indiana reserve unit, friend of mine in the 101st airborne was flying the Apache attack helicopter that fired the first shot in Desert Storm.

What it looked like from my perspective as I was trying to get out of the Da Nang airbase in late April-Early May 1969.

This is a picture of me at age 18 dn-366th-tfw-bomb-dump-03-peter-halferty-090-042.jpg
ch46.JPG
I am sure you daughter and son-in-law are doing a job worthy of being proud of.
Just make sure they do not leave their motorcycle unattended there.
The Tallywackers have already gotten enough free military hardware from the cowardly Afghan army fleeing like scared rabbits.
From the looks of the pictures I have seen, these cowardly rabbits are pushing women and children aside to be the first on the life boats.

Have you ever seen one of these in real life?

Ontose.jpeg
Green beach Chu Lai, July 1969

Last edited:
I was doing research on these and I think I found a very clever system using this lock and a roadlock

& an Abus lock

from this link

user Rob Steele says

"The key (pardon the pun) to making this more successful is something like a Roadlok. Fit the Abus Disclock on the left disc and roll the bike forward so the disclock is difficult to access and cut as it is tucked up by the brake calliper. Put the bike on the side stand meaning the disclock has an added degree of difficulty being on the low side of the bike. Then engage a Roadlok to prevent the bike being moved forward to give better access to cut the disclock. The Roadlok weighs next to nothing. Admittedly, a big F Off chain would help too."

a method like this is going to make it take a lot longer to get those devices off and the thief will have to work at very odd angles to cut the locks. any thoughts? I am thinking about using this method.

Good grief! This makes twice now I’ve felt like I’ve had to defend Black Dog (and doing so feels indefensible LOL) but he wasn’t slamming anybody’s family or their military service or trying to make someone think of a bad place. He was simply making a joke that “offended” somebody…apparently you in this case.

GP, I think the comment just (very understandably) touched a nerve. Tom even says that he's not offended.

Back to the thread though, I'm of the belief that if anyone really wants to steal something from you, they will. This is why we have insurance. The next anticipated comment is about crimes of opportunity and making it more difficult. Ok. I hear ya. But the bike weighs 700 lbs and has both an alarm and a steering lock. That's plenty, but then again I don't live in....[reads room], North Sentinal Island.

/and neither do any of you
//not for very long anyway
///hello Clairice

I was doing research on these and I think I found a very clever system using this lock and a roadlock

& an Abus lock

from this link

user Rob Steele says

"The key (pardon the pun) to making this more successful is something like a Roadlok. Fit the Abus Disclock on the left disc and roll the bike forward so the disclock is difficult to access and cut as it is tucked up by the brake calliper. Put the bike on the side stand meaning the disclock has an added degree of difficulty being on the low side of the bike. Then engage a Roadlok to prevent the bike being moved forward to give better access to cut the disclock. The Roadlok weighs next to nothing. Admittedly, a big F Off chain would help too."

a method like this is going to make it take a lot longer to get those devices off and the thief will have to work at very odd angles to cut the locks. any thoughts? I am thinking about using this method.
Kind of an unrealistic demo. Any lock can be defeated with enough time and muscle. The point is to slow down and/or deter thieves. You'd have to have some pretty big cojones to take that much time and make that much noise trying to steal a bike.

Kind of an unrealistic demo. Any lock can be defeated with enough time and muscle. The point is to slow down and/or deter thieves. You'd have to have some pretty big cojones to take that much time and make that much noise trying to steal a bike.
you would think so... but where i am from you can shoplift and as long as its under $1000 usd the police cannot arrest you because it got reclassified as a misdemeanor. You can have meth, heroine, crack on you in small amounts and you will not get taken to jail. I drive by large homeless encampments in LA all the time and I witness mini-mountains made out of bicycle parts etc. I see motorcycles being taken apart at homeless encampments too. in LA we have an open air drug market operating 24/7 in downtown skid row, santa monica, venice, and literally under every freeway underpass and a lot of corruption in this city that keeps the drugs flowing and the homeless population growing too. That phrase the silver or the lead that goes on in Meixco. that is the norm now here :( sad. So yea anything to make the motor bike less attractive is 100% absolutely necessary here. heck just look at all the articles from prius catalytic converter theft. people steal them in broad day light , no one cares.

you would think so... but where i am from you can shoplift and as long as its under $1000 usd the police cannot arrest you because it got reclassified as a misdemeanor. You can have meth, heroine, crack on you in small amounts and you will not get taken to jail. I drive by large homeless encampments in LA all the time and I witness mini-mountains made out of bicycle parts etc. I see motorcycles being taken apart at homeless encampments too. in LA we have an open air drug market operating 24/7 in downtown skid row, santa monica, venice, and literally under every freeway underpass and a lot of corruption in this city that keeps the drugs flowing and the homeless population growing too. That phrase the silver or the lead that goes on in Meixco. that is the norm now here :( sad. So yea anything to make the motor bike less attractive is 100% absolutely necessary here. heck just look at all the articles from prius catalytic converter theft. people steal them in broad day light , no one cares.
And I thought I was doing something risky driving around the fevalas of Rio de Janeiro below Corcovado with my wife handing out soccer balls and baby dolls to the little girls and boys playing in the streets.

LIFE, Drive it like you stole it.

Brazil07 069 copy.jpg

Last edited:
I had put in an order the a Kryptonite New York Legend lock https://store.kryptonitelock.com/p/new-york-legend-chain-1515-w-new-york-padlock . It's getting shipped from overseas (not from that website) so who knows when I'll get it. I'll report on it when I've had time to try it out. I still think even with the bags on the Classic the best place to use it is through the swingarm. If It fits reasonably I'll consider getting a floor anchor for my garage.

I had a Harley back in 1988 and parked with my buddy who had a Yamaha. We were on fishermans warf in S.F. and went to see Alcatraz well when we came back his Yamaha was there but the Harley was stolen in broad daylight ina very public area with lots of people. 4 guys had taken and put a pipe through the front wheel and the one through the back wheel picked up the bike and walked it into a van without needing to roll the tires. I say this because I had a big chain and a giant lock on it. I was really glad I had gap insurance and my bike was paid off and I got enough to put down on another one. It was an international ring stealing them, stripping them and sending the parts over seas to be sold. I am running all the insurance I can get on the BMW because I see a lot of people already looking for parts and that's a sign theft might become a issue. i really hope I am wrong.

I use an ABUS 8077 disc lock, which lives on the bike, & at home I
pass a 12mm chain through the front wheel & engine bars, this is
then linked to a similar chain which is concreted into the floor. It
may not stop the determined thief, but the are going to have to
work to get it. Plus security cameras & a tracker fitted to the bike.

Back