Side Cover Removal-UNGH!

theMucker

Premium Member
Hey guys!
I've got the seats off. Now I want to remove the side covers. The manual seems to indicate that they just get pulled horizontally straight out. But DANG! they are soo tight it feels like something might break before they come loose. Should I just exert harder force until they pull off?

While I was there I attached the combined 10mm & 13mm open end wrench that came with the bike to the backside (inboard side) of the plastic tool holder, under the RH side cover. It's a cast, cheesy wrench that was in the bag with the owner's manual. I figure that, if I ever need either of those two wrench sizes, it will be there.

While I was there I attached the combined 10mm & 13mm open end wrench that came with the bike to the backside (inboard side) of the plastic tool holder, under the RH side cover. It's a cast, cheesy wrench that was in the bag with the owner's manual. I figure that, if I ever need either of those two wrench sizes, it will be there.
yeah, the oem tools aren't great; both in quality and in accessibility. I've relocated a sourced set of tools to the fork bag. Barring adjusting the preload, the panel can stay put.

Never mind. I "went for it" and pulling harder was the solution. Before the covers go back on the grommets and studs are gonna get LIBERALLY LUBED with silicone grease.
I know that this is a really old thread, but just a word of warning.....I put some lube on my side cover grommets, and the right side cover fell off while I was riding! this was NOT an inexpensive item to replace.

The forward tab on the side cover does not extend outward. This is to prevent them from coming off. I am surprised this happened.
Best to pull outward on the bottom tabs first since the top right tab is forward. Then slide right (if on the right side of the bike).

Back