Sidecar Riders and Installers...

Suppose I wanted to install a sidecar on an R18 (or two) Who would be the recommended installers? I'm in Georgia.

Feel free to comment on sidecar brands, DIY kits etc... We currently have two 2017 Urals, no stranger to sidecar riding with 50,000 miles under my seat on one.

I'm looking to build highway capable rigs with more comfort than the Urals offer. Still needs to be stout. I mainly carry a dog or cargo and a passenger only occasionally.

Those with a sidecar on an R18, feel free to talk me into our out of the idea.

If someone with a hacked R18 has ridden a Ural before, how does the experience differ? (seriously, I understand such a comparison may be a hilarious to some, but it is the only reference I have so I'm curious).

/Robert

This is a modified Cozy. 1 inch axle new wheel R18B fender and brakes. In comparison to a ural. I love ural but its not a fair comparison. When a ural is at top speed going down hill with a tail wind I need to shift out third. Cruise at 140Kph without issue. Bike simply overpowers the effects of a 200lbs sidecar. 20K KM and going strong.

Attachments

• Buck.jpg
    Buck.jpg
    700.1 KB · Views: 45
Il s'agit d'un Cosy modifié. Essieu 1 pouce roue neuve R18B garde-boue et freins. Par rapport à un oural. J'aime l'oural mais ce n'est pas une comparaison équitable. Quand un oural est à pleine vitesse en descente avec un vent arrière, je dois passer en troisième position. Croisière à 140Kph sans problème. Le vélo surpasse simplement les effets d'un side-car de 200 livres. 20K KM et ça va fort.
Bonjour,
J'ai une question aussi...
concernant la marche arrière, avec le side tout fonctionne bien pour reculer avec ?

yes reverse works perfect even in hilly parking spots and gravel.
I was researching that myself, it seems to be a "powerful" but limited reverse gear before it overheats, maybe 1 minute. Does that sound right?

I can certainly change my riding habits, with the Ural I think nothing of parking boxed in and nose down a hill, wondering if the R18 reverse can pull the entire rig up 6% grade hill backwards for 20 feet.

When it reverse gear, will it free roll backwards? i.e. can I back DOWN a hill and maintain control? Friend had a Harley that used the starter motor, but it wasn't a gear (not sure how it was done) it would reverse but also free roll.

Yes it can easily. mine does not free roll in Reverse however it could be moved without engaging I realize that's somewhat misleading but there is significant resistance to rolling in reverse but not the compression of the engine

Think long and hard about putting on a sidecar on these, what with the rate of headlight failures and price /cost to get a new headlight. You might just want to lemon law your bike back to BMW if your headlight fails.

A sidecar will not void ALL warranty issues ( motor issues perhaps ) . And if you‘re out of warranty, put an aftermarket product on bike apropos headlight . LMAO when you suggest Lemon laws on bike for a headlight issue. I’m not going to stop riding an R18 because the adaptive headlight fails to work. People complaining about the bike not starting on first press of button . The bike vibrates too much. The dry clutch makes a strange noise. Whistling sounds when l ride. The bike scrapes the foot pegs when l go around a roundabout ( my sports bike doesn’t do this - one of my favourites ). It’s hard to manoeuvre at slow speeds. The seat is hard. It doesn’t handle like my other bikes. It‘s depreciating to quickly. Parts are to expensive and servicing costs high ( easily rectified by servicing yourself and buying parts from some European sites - cheaper than USA/Australian sites ). Have l missed anything ? All First world problems - enjoy the bike for what it is ( not what it isn’t ).

Last edited:
A sidecar will not void ALL warranty issues ( motor issues perhaps ) . And if you‘re out of warranty, put an aftermarket product on bike apropos headlight . LMAO when you suggest Lemon laws on bike for a headlight issue. I’m not going to stop riding an R18 because the adaptive headlight fails to work. People complaining about the bike not starting on first press of button . The bike vibrates too much. The dry clutch makes a strange noise. Whistling sounds when l ride. The bike scrapes the foot pegs when l go around a roundabout ( my sports bike doesn’t do this - one of my favourites ). It’s hard to manoeuvre at slow speeds. The seat is hard. It doesn’t handle like my other bikes. It‘s depreciating to quickly. Parts are to expensive and servicing costs high ( easily rectified by servicing yourself and buying parts from some European sites - cheaper than USA/Australian sites ). Have l missed anything ? All First world problems - enjoy the bike for what it is ( not what it isn’t ).
And how much experience do you have with warranty issues with German automobile or motorcycle companies? Did it ever occur to you that some folks just want something that's turnkey, that they can just ride, headache free, without running to the dealership. I have talked to several dealerships that have had customers lemon law their R 18 back. I'll even give you a hint, at least two of them are in MO. I own a 9 year old german luxury SUV with adaptive headlights with 70,000 miles on it, and the adaptive feature still works, and the guts inside the headlights haven't broken yet. So what is BMW's problem with JW Sound? Or does JW Sound have a problem with BMW's? $3100 for a head light design....

I guess it never occurs to you that some people no longer want to work on their motorcycles, they just want to ride them. They are either old or physically it's very uncomfortable or painful for them to still work on their bikes themselves. Maybe they should buy a Gold Wing, or a bike where the manufacturer actually cares about making a product that doesn't crap out on you due to normal usage. A motorcycle that functions fully as designed, for most of it's useful life on the road. People talk about BMW motorcycle motors being good for 200,000 or more miles. Back then, the headlights were sealed and easily replaceable. Other than the bulb, and LED's are supposed to be 50,000 hr bulbs, headlights should be a non wear item. I tend to buy vehicles that are the way i want them, from the factory. To me, a sidecar is an abortion hanging off the side of a motorcycle. That's my opinion. Buy a HD trike or Singshot if you want 3 wheels. I'm not interested in a "look at me" motorcycle that's exhibition grade, or being asked about my motorcycle choice. My ego doesn't need to be stroked by people fawning over a bolt on kit with a paint job of an era gone by time piece. Side cars remind me of war time transportation from 80 to 100 years ago. Outdated, like the horse and buggy.

Last edited:
The heading was “Sidecar Riders and Installers”. Not , l personally think a sidecar is an abortion. Never had any problems with your German luxury SUV ( l’ll call bullshit on that - did you LEMON it ? No.) ? All vehicles have problems. Learn to live with it.

Last edited:
And how much experience do you have with warranty issues with German automobile or motorcycle companies? Did it ever occur to you that some folks just want something that's turnkey, that they can just ride, headache free, without running to the dealership. I have talked to several dealerships that have had customers lemon law their R 18 back. I'll even give you a hint, at least two of them are in MO. I own a 9 year old german luxury SUV with adaptive headlights with 70,000 miles on it, and the adaptive feature still works, and the guts inside the headlights haven't broken yet. So what is BMW's problem with JW Sound? Or does JW Sound have a problem with BMW's? $3100 for a head light design....

I guess it never occurs to you that some people no longer want to work on their motorcycles, they just want to ride them. They are either old or physically it's very uncomfortable or painful for them to still work on their bikes themselves. Maybe they should buy a Gold Wing, or a bike where the manufacturer actually cares about making a product that doesn't crap out on you due to normal usage. A motorcycle that functions fully as designed, for most of it's useful life on the road. People talk about BMW motorcycle motors being good for 200,000 or more miles. Back then, the headlights were sealed and easily replaceable. Other than the bulb, and LED's are supposed to be 50,000 hr bulbs, headlights should be a non wear item. I tend to buy vehicles that are the way i want them, from the factory. To me, a sidecar is an abortion hanging off the side of a motorcycle. That's my opinion. Buy a HD trike or Singshot if you want 3 wheels. I'm not interested in a "look at me" motorcycle that's exhibition grade, or being asked about my motorcycle choice. My ego doesn't need to be stroked by people fawning over a bolt on kit with a paint job of an era gone by time piece. Side cars remind me of war time transportation from 80 to 100 years ago. Outdated, like the horse and buggy.
For someone who “My ego doesn’t need to be stroked” you’re sure willing to offer unsolicited opinions.

Hey we have all been there the knockers do,nt buy this do,nt buy that Harleys are crap , i,m from the old school do,nt knock till you,ve tried it , life is too short if you do,nt like it change it thats it !!!!!

Several users have done the Hannigan route with good success.
5,000 miles now with the Hannigan/r18 classic set up. Plenty of time on interstates, in the curves and around town. It’s a fantastic combo. Not inexpensive, but worth it if you really want to use this type of rig. Definitely get the camber control which makes all the difference.

Attachments

• IMG_0494.jpeg
    IMG_0494.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
At $3100 before sales tax and installation, no thanks. Side car, I am sure, voids all warranty.
This assertion regarding warranties being voided is simply not correct. At least one person on the site has had major warranty work with a side car installed. Other data points from my dealer back this up as well. Useful to have actual, fact and experience-based information so others can make informed decisions.

Back