SLR Tune?

TravisD

Site Supporter
I see many people talking about the Brentune, but I havent seen any others talked about. SLR has gotten good reviews for other BMW bikes and they do offer a tune for the R18. Their tune is a little cheaper as well. Has anyone on here tried their tune?

I sent them an email asking if they had any dyno results or before/after comparisons. I'll share if I hear back.

Personally I'd have a hard time spending that much $$$ without some Dyno verified numbers. An ECU tune is next on my upgrade list.

I'm one of those lucky R18s that have the overheat warning from idling with temps in the upper 70s and lower 80s. I'm more interested in the AF ratio improvements and running cooler than anything else. It seems the Brentune solves this problem AND they have Dyno results showing overall powerband improvements.

I've tried to reach out twice with no reply, so I'm taking SLR off my list of options.

I guess that only leaves Brentune... although they're expensive there's plenty of positive feedback on this forum to probably justify the price.

I also reached out and did hear back from them. This is their reply.

*We currently have no dyno data on this bike, as we focus mainly on street
ramiar tuning where real world results matter! Please read our 2020+
S1000R+ s1k reviews,*
*the same map tables are available for the R18 and we will implement the
same changes to your bikes tune as well. We have 5 stars on all of our
tunes reviews worldwide.*

S1000R+ s1k reviews,*
Uhhhhmmm ... isn't a Dyno 'real world'? It measures physically what the engine puts out at various revs ... I am confused by that statement ...

S1000R+ s1k reviews,*

Translation: "we make a bunch of changes and we don't really know what they do, but the people we either dupe or pay to review our mods give us 5 stars because the seat of their pants tells them they're happy"

Dumb but necessary question: is there a verified case where bike owner gets a tune, then runs into BMW dealer who tries to void the warranty? Perhaps we’ve got some BMW sales or tech employees who can weigh in with real world examples? Personally I’m happy with my hp and torque - all I’d like next is to smooth out the throttle in “Rock” mode when driving around town….it’s pretty twitchy.

Dumb but necessary question: is there a verified case where bike owner gets a tune, then runs into BMW dealer who tries to void the warranty?

My dealer told me that they trusted Brentune completely and they would not void the warranty over it. They've got enough experience with it from other models that they wanted to ensure that I knew what the procedure is to roll back the tune before bringing it into service.

My dealer told me that they trusted Brentune completely and they would not void the warranty over it. They've got enough experience with it from other models that they wanted to ensure that I knew what the procedure is to roll back the tune before bringing it into service.
I believe Brenntune stores your original config file in their device and you can swap back if needed without even having to contact them ... I haven't done it yet, but it is on the 'list' ... there are just a few little things ahead of it :D

I believe Brenntune stores your original config file in their device and you can swap back if needed without even having to contact them ... I haven't done it yet, but it is on the 'list' ... there are just a few little things ahead of it :D
If the dealer updates the ECU, you need to send the saved software to BT Moto for an update. There is a cost. If you forgot to save the modified ECU before the dealer updates it, you have to pay a larger fee to BT Moto to relicense the reader and start from scratch. Don't make that mistake.

If the dealer updates the ECU, you need to send the saved software to BT Moto for an update. There is a cost. If you forgot to save the modified ECU before the dealer updates it, you have to pay a larger fee to BT Moto to relicense the reader and start from scratch. Don't make that mistake.
That is good to know ... thanks

S1000R+ s1k reviews,*
I would stay far, far away from any tuner that sells any tune without using a Dyno to dial it in. Far away.

I would stay far, far away from any tuner that sells any tune without using a Dyno to dial it in. Far away.

From what I understand, there are ways to manipulate Dyno data. But a legit tuning company risks their reputation if they play that game. There is a Porsche tuner that is well known in that circle who does not publish Dyno data for their tunes, but they do at least give HP & Torque numbers. In that example that tuner has been around the Porsche racing circuit forever, and everyone knows who they are and what they can do. If you google a bit for SLR tune, you'll find that they've been around awhile. Make your own decisions...

From what I understand, there are ways to manipulate Dyno data. But a legit tuning company risks their reputation if they play that game. There is a Porsche tuner that is well known in that circle who does not publish Dyno data for their tunes, but they do at least give HP & Torque numbers. In that example that tuner has been around the Porsche racing circuit forever, and everyone knows who they are and what they can do. If you google a bit for SLR tune, you'll find that they've been around awhile. Make your own decisions...
There is absolutely no reason for a tuner not to be transparent and publish the dyno data, zero, unless they have something to hide. They don't have to publish the map data, that's understandable, but dyno charts? Of course a shady tuner can publish fake dyno charts, but that will come to the surface sooner, or later, but a reputable tuner always shows their work and stands by the results.

I went with BrenTune and I am very happy with that decision.

There is absolutely no reason for a tuner not to be transparent and publish the dyno data, zero, unless they have something to hide. They don't have to publish the map data, that's understandable, but dyno charts? Of course a shady tuner can publish fake dyno charts, but that will come to the surface sooner, or later, but a reputable tuner always shows their work and stands by the results.

I went with BrenTune and I am very happy with that decision.

Liability is a great reason to not publish the dyno data. What happens if someone not at the same altitude, same humidity level, same gas, etc., etc., does the tune, runs their own dyno test and it doesn't match the tuner's published sheet and decides to sue for false advertisement? Don't pretend stuff like that doesn't happen...

Personally I want to see the dyno sheet. But there are many reasons not to publish it that have nothing to do with how well the tuner did his job.

Back