Smoke on start up

I've notice the samething ... last couple rides notice lil bit of final oil drive, leak on the hub ... let me know what happened.. thank you
I got caught in the rain after having the service done.I had so much grime it looked like had blown a gasket.The entire wheel hub was covered with a oily film plus the wheel was really dirty.
I took it to the dealer and he gave me gear to replace the gear oil in the rear end that way I could measure any amount that was lost.
btw: Zero,Loss.
Like I said,Mine looked 10x worse than yours.Use some dawn and clean it off.Should be okay or drain and measure.
Last thing,A small amount of oil looks like a bunch and travels everywhere.Relax and ride...
Good Luck

A couple weeks ago I noticed a smudge around the hub indicating a smidge of seepage or something but wasn't enough to spin off onto the rim like your pictures show. i cleaned it off and has not reappeared in last 1000 miles or so.
Have had the same problem with the final drive leak and the left pipe smoking cigars. Go back to the dealership and tell them about the oil seepage. I am waiting on a new redesigned piston/cyclinder and rings, and a new redesigned final drive seal. Last a checked with the dealership I was told the parts were in customs coming from Germany. Waiting for them to tell me when to bring the bike in for repairs.
Obviously I am not the first owner of an R18 that has experienced these particular problems, and they are aware of it.

I got caught in the rain after having the service done.I had so much grime it looked like had blown a gasket.The entire wheel hub was covered with a oily film plus the wheel was really dirty.
I took it to the dealer and he gave me gear to replace the gear oil in the rear end that way I could measure any amount that was lost.
Like I said,Mine looked 10x worse than yours.Use some dawn and clean it off.Should be okay or drain and measure.
Last thing,A small amount of oil looks like a bunch and travels everywhere.Relax and ride...
Good Luck
Leakage or even minimal seepage is not acceptable for rear drive. ZERO is the only acceptable number. It should be clean and dry 100% of the time til eternity and beyond. Have them repair.

Leakage or even minimal seepage is not acceptable for rear drive. ZERO is the only acceptable number. It should be clean and dry 100% of the time til eternity and beyond. Have them repair.
yeah
what I said
after having the service done(they musta dripped a bit of gear oil on the outside)
no leakage, zero

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Luck
I have an appt this friday lets see what they say...

Ecxatcly... i thought the same thing , never notice any seepage before so whats goin on now , its not normal . It was easy to notice since i usually keep the bike clean including the wheels...i've cleaned once before the seepage and it came back ... so will prob get worse overtime if i leave alone...

Good Luck
The only problem is that it just starting it might get worse overtime if i dont do anything... and when the warranty is over it might cost an arm and a leg to fix it...

Ecxatcly... i thought the same thing , never notice any seepage before so whats goin on now , its not normal . It was easy to notice since i usually keep the bike clean including the wheels...i've cleaned once before the seepage and it came back ... so will prob get worse overtime if i leave alone...
My last post on this. Zero, none, nada, dry, is the only acceptable value. Do not clean it up when you see it, wait to see if it gets worse, or ignore it. It needs to be fixed.

Anybody on this forum or another forum, your buddy from the Indian shop, or any dealer that even contemplates otherwise is 100% wrong.

Back